"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Any polygon numbers on VF5?

Hmmmm, the only thing i was able to find was Dead or alive 5 versions of VF5's characters. if i find anything from that particular title i'll post them up.

Polygon Numbers For Assorted Games.

Assassin's Creed 3 - Desmond 14,934 polygons
Assassin's Creed 3 - Benjamin Franklin 17,744 polygons
Assassin's Creed 3 - Haytham Kenway 19,985 polygons
Assassin's Creed 3 - Charles Lee 25,994 polygons
Assassin's Creed 3 - Connor Kenway 28,501 polygons
Dead Or Alive 5 - Pai Chan 29,379 polygons
Dead Or Alive 5 - Sarah Bryant 30,411 polygons

the textures on the Assassin's creed 3 models had some issues loading correctly so it may look slightly different. with that being said that's it for now till next time.:smile2:

I don understand this, why model Jason Brody ?
You don't see him anywhere, not even in reflections or cutscenes.

Any numbers on Halo 4? Thomas Lasky?

For halo 4 i still got nothing :(, but you can bet if i find something i'll post it here.

I don understand this, why model Jason Brody ?
You don't see him anywhere, not even in reflections or cutscenes.

I have't picked up far cry 3 yet to know everything about it, i played it a few times. but regardless of how much of the character is viewed, they get rendered in their entirety for dimension purposes for the studio anyways. from there they get culled back. and also, if the model is on the disc it's on the disc; lots of games are like that.

There have been wireframes of the Master Chief in circulation which tell enough about the poly counts of Halo 4 IMHO - nothing exceptional compared to other games.
There are also screenshots of many little head models for each character which clearly indicates blendshapes. The later also suggests a moderate polygon count, as each shape stores the position for all the head's vertices and that consumes a lot of memory compared to a bones based system.

The key to the superb facial animation on Lasky and the rest lies in the facial capture instead - the custom developed solver processing the data, and the blendshape / blended normalmap based facial rig that it drives.
Oh, and of course the extremely high artistic and technical quality of all the assets.

For halo 4 i still got nothing :(, but you can bet if i find something i'll post it here.

I have't picked up far cry 3 yet to know everything about it, i played it a few times. but regardless of how much of the character is viewed, they get rendered in their entirety for dimension purposes for the studio anyways. from there they get culled back. and also, if the model is on the disc it's on the disc; lots of games are like that.

I know they have to have something in FPS games for dimensions so that the player character is taking a physical space, but what's stopping them from using a textureless low poly mode like this as seen in Half Life 2?
http://i.imgur.com/EJUd5Fp.jpg

Unless you're going to have the character in cutscenes and in gameplay (reflections, shadows or when viewed from other player's perspective and such) why even bother to properly model one ?

I know they have to have something in FPS games for dimensions so that the player character is taking a physical space, but what's stopping them from using a textureless low poly mode like this as seen in Half Life 2?
http://i.imgur.com/EJUd5Fp.jpg

Unless you're going to have the character in cutscenes and in gameplay (reflections, shadows or when viewed from other player's perspective and such) why even bother to properly model one ?

hmmm, well i checked up with where the model originated from and it's from the deluxe edition.
2edm744.jpg

so it seems it is being put to use. do you have the deluxe edition?

hmmm, I kinda figured so, it's the pro version for designing levels. it's most likely on the disc of all versions of far cry 3 because lot of developers leave content on the disc. maybe you'll see more of him in the form of DLC in the many months to come.

Zone Of The Enders 3 [In game model]
VO23O.jpg

aDbL0.jpg

It reads "1,273 faces" which have not been triangulated yet. it would normally be 2x the size in polys or "triangles" (example) so that's 2,546 polygons (est) . .....a little hard to imagine that, it looks grate.

this is most likely the game play model and not the cutscene version. that being said, I take it they plan to go 60 fps all the way with flashy effects and environments.
that's all for now, till next time.:smile2:

Last edited by a moderator:
These are supposed to be cutscene model I suppose ? makes no sense otherwise considering no one would notice it in such a fast paced game where the camera isn't really close tot he character.

These are supposed to be cutscene model I suppose ? makes no sense otherwise considering no one would notice it in such a fast paced game where the camera isn't really close tot he character.

well for cutscenes it's a perfect match. [this cutscene is realtime]
264i2ac.jpg

For gameplay it's pretty hard to get up close to her guns. this is about as close i got. (magnified)
xsvtw.jpg

they're some minor differences, mostly texture related. if there is a LOD change it's hard to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shut the f'k up! ZONE OF THE ENDERS 3?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN? WHERE? HOW? WTF! :oops::oops:

Calm your self, the conference was last year around "Ground zeros" time. this particular one was the "Enders project" and that concepts had already commenced a while back. No platforms have been announced yet.

does anyone know about what a custom character in eve online might be?

a couple custom models turned up.

Eve online - Alice (custom character) 23,452 polygons
Eve online - Angel (custom character) 25,385 polygons

I've been told a custom character from Eve online can range from 20,000 to over 30,000 polygons. (Depends on outfits.)

Calm your self, the conference was last year around "Ground zeros" time. this particular one was the "Enders project" and that concepts had already commenced a while back. No platforms have been announced yet.

a couple custom models turned up.

Eve online - Alice (custom character) 23,452 polygons
Eve online - Angel (custom character) 25,385 polygons

I've been told a custom character from Eve online can range from 20,000 to over 30,000 polygons. (Depends on outfits.)

wow thank you!

I found EAs guide for Battlefield 2 models
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=uUY5eQ1Pa87c61aZNCXUrA&bvm=bv.41642243,d.dmQ

Back