"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Kind of interesting how Harley jumps 2K polys without looking much different with all the textures applied. Were her facial animations improved for the DLC or something?

The DLC version has that extra bit of fur on her arms, it also looks like she has some extra shells in her hair.

Violet is really that much? :p :|

Kind of interesting how Harley jumps 2K polys without looking much different with all the textures applied. Were her facial animations improved for the DLC or something?

you know, I actually thought people were going to ask similar about Adam jensen and Rodin from bayonetta. for bayonetta i covered pretty much it. for adam i never would have suspected it because of his stiff posture he's got throughout the game....and facial animations. if any wanted to know on that it was his arms, they'er about 12k. (here) (when in that particular suit)

for violet her body is 9865 polys, and her head is 4,354 polygons...together it's 14,219 polys.

Thanks for all of your contributions. Those polygon counts for Other M are a bit higher than I expected, especially for a Wii game. In comparison, what was polygon count for the Samus' model in the Prime games?

No prob, yeah, I had to make a comparison my self many times to see if it's correct, these particular models were dumps from the Dolphin Emulator i believe. for samus metroid prime series i'll cover it in my next wave if i can find the models.

The DLC version has that extra bit of fur on her arms, it also looks like she has some extra shells in her hair.

yes, and i covered it (here), she has a couple things that boost the total...some hair decoration behind her head, a key chain around her neck, extra strands of hair directly on top of her head, and some fur decorations on her arms. also her pony tales are a bit thicker.

the dissection made me a bit dizzy because Al is right, they're just about the same.

Polygon numbers for assorted games.

Devil may cry - Flying demon 10,802 polygons
Alice Madness Returns - Alice 11,748 polygons
Resident evil 6 - Helena 19,821 polygons
Resident evil 6 - Ada wong - 20,368 polygons.
Mortal Kombat (2011) Raiden 20,003 polygons

that's it for now, till next time. :smile2:

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, and i had the magazine that covered that. it was this magazine (here)

I think it was 100,000 polygons.
ps2demo5.jpg

As it stands, I've never recreated a model based on verts because the numbers never seem to add up....at least in my mind anyways. :)

I made a few snap shots based on what verts are..... using some figures.

Verts

example 1
example 2
example 3

the Namco girl is "Reiko nagase" and the other girl who was in Ridge Racer V was "Ai Fukami", the polygon numbers for both have yet to be determined. you can do it on your own if you have the skills at your disposal. I do know XNALARA.com loves to extract all kinds of female characters from all sorts of games. if they get the job done you can post the numbers here if you like.

later, i'll be posting more numbers till then, got to get some rest now.

that you so much for your help!

also some more peace walker numbers

http://andriasang.com/comklr/peace_walker_polygon_counts/

that you so much for your help!

also some more peace walker numbers

http://andriasang.com/comklr/peace_walker_polygon_counts/

no prob, happy to help.

very interesting numbers for psp peace walker, thanks for the info.:smile2:

----------------------

polygon numbers for Metroid prime

Metroid prime 1 or 2 - Samus 7,622 polygons without canon (9,800 polygons with)
Metroid prime 2 - light suite - 9,774 polygons (up to 10,000 with lightbeam canon)
Metroid prime 2 - powerbeam 2,315, light 2,549, dark 2,315, annihilator 2,367 polygons.
Metroid prime 3 coruption - Samus 18,962 polygons

..............:oops:

answered here.

Dissection of metroid prime 3

In game shots of Metroid prime 3 corruption
picture 1
picture 2
picture 3

Samus seems to have a lot of extrusions and insets, which tally up and are accounted for in the initial counting, she also has a face inside of her helmet too.

that's it for now, till next time.:smile2:

no prob, happy to help.

very interesting numbers for psp peace walker, thanks for the info.:smile2:

----------------------

polygon numbers for Metroid prime

Metroid prime 1 or 2 - Samus 7,622 polygons without canon (9,800 polygons with)
Metroid prime 2 - light suite - 9,774 polygons (up to 10,000 with lightbeam canon)
Metroid prime 2 - powerbeam 2,315, light 2,549, dark 2,315, annihilator 2,367 polygons.
Metroid prime 3 coruption - Samus 18,962 polygons

..............:oops:

answered here.

Dissection of metroid prime 3

In game shots of Metroid prime 3 corruption
picture 1
picture 2
picture 3

Samus seems to have a lot of extrusions and insets, which tally up and are accounted for in the initial counting, she also has a face inside of her helmet too.

that's it for now, till next time.:smile2:

Thanks for accepting my request to check out the Prime series. Had to do a double-take at the numbers for Samus' MP3 model. :oops: Samus seems to be one of the most demanding Nintendo character in terms of complexity and geometry. As for AlStrong's observation, it will be interesting to see what Nintendo's teams can do once they get more experience with working on hardware with advanced shaders and normal mapping.

Are those only used in cutscenes or in game?

It's in game, you see the same model for when you curl into a ball. the game however uses culling when necessary. meaning it's not going to render more than necessary, it's a fps you know.

Some interesting polygon counts of Killzone Liberation on PSP. First shot is 19862 polygons, second is 69811.

Scv8J.jpg
NRwrS.jpg

very interesting indeed, good post.

-----------------

so sorry i haven't posted anything yet. still looking out for some rare gems to get my hands on. will post some when i get my hands on real good stuff!

Forza horizon Polygon numbers

Forza Horizon - Horizon world - 14,123,106 polygons
Forza Horizon - ferrari 485 spider convertible LOD-0 217,805 polygons (without wheels)
Forza Horizon -lexus lfa Rim LOD-0 30,047 polygons
Forza Horizon - Disc brake 3,674 polygons

Forza's cars are some of the hardest to assemble, will look out on one already put together nicely. BTW, horizon's world is way to vast to fit into one screen so.....but at least it shows the numbers to compensate.

that's it for now, will check back if i find one.:smile2:

I seriously doubt that Forza renders all those polygons every time. Millions of triangles are culled before anything's drawn... it'd be a pretty bad engine if it wouldn't do that :)

I seriously doubt that Forza renders all those polygons every time. Millions of triangles are culled before anything's drawn... it'd be a pretty bad engine if it wouldn't do that :)

it wouldnt anyway. LOD0 - car selection / photo mode only. LOD1+ in-game. opponent cars likely have a very low lod for interiors. all up your not drawing much, without any visible loss of detail.

I just hate it when games (driving especially) say "we have cars that are 500k polys!" yeah...whats the in-game model res huh?

I don't think that's right. There are 3 separate views of that level posted here:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45784346&postcount=15185 and all of them show the same ply count 69811 even though they have very different views.

ah well total scene count then. he has geometry hidden then. and deleted it when he did the textured version (probably the only other explanation I can come up with)

Edit- and your right, Max just displays total scene count + selected on the right. I use max maybe once a month for setup/export...I try to steer clear usually :)

Any idea about the polycount of the LOD models in F-Zero X? It must be like 20 or 30 polygons coz its the most agresive lod models i've ever seen, random boxes running around xD

I just hate it when games (driving especially) say "we have cars that are 500k polys!" yeah...whats the in-game model res huh?

They look sufficient for now, but I guess that just leaves plenty of room for when the next generation of consoles are released.

can't wait to see these high LODs being put to real use, on top of full DX11 tessellation usage.

----------------------------------

Polygon Numbers For Assorted Games.

Batman Arkham Asylum - Batman (armored knight) 21,304 polygons
Devil May Cry 4 - Nero (cutscene) 26,662 polygons
Devil May Cry 4 - Dante (devil) (Game play) 13,094 polygons
Devil May Cry 4 - Dagon (Game play/cutscene ) 40,893 polygons
Devil May Cry 4, Averaged gameplay character is about 15,000 polygons. (original source)

To be continued, till next time. :)

Back