"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

poly numbers for assorted games today.

Tekken 6- Jin Kazama 20,240 polygons
Bayonetta- Jeanne (old outfit) 18,873 polygons
Bayonetta- Luka 23,484 polygons
Bayonetta- Rodin 40,508 polygons (15k for jewelry and ect)
Gears of war 3 - Savage Kantus 19,899 polygons
Gears of war 3 - Queen Myrrah 23,415 polygons
Gears of war 2 - Brumak 40,084 polygons

(the gears of war 3 models turned out with some glitches so i used official pics instead, the numbers are correct though.)

That is all for now; looking forward to posting more in the future.:smile2:

It would be interesting to see how models in Call of duty games evolved. They come long way since cod2 times and today are quite advanced all things considered.

They're probably more efficient at using similar resource budgets, as with every other game coming out of experienced studios.

Okay, COD2 was more than conservative though, and the texture streaming system in MW2 was definitely a big help.

Is it possible to get your hands on some Mafia 2 models? :smile: :oops:

Just Under 10,000 polygons for main character

mentioned here.
http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW...-Sep-2010-/Character-Traits.aspx#.UNE82m_AeSo

“Civilian characters have 4000 triangles on average, while major characters exceed 6500 triangles; Vito, the protagonist, has nearly 10,000 triangles.”

It would be interesting to see how models in Call of duty games evolved. They come long way since cod2 times and today are quite advanced all things considered.

I will get to that really soon. :)

Polygon numbers for assorted games.

Vanquish - Augmented Reaction Suit 13,530 polygons
Call of duty Black ops - Frank Woods (In full gear) 19,777 polygons
Halo reach- Mule 10,800 polygons
Halo reach - Dr halsey 15,088 polygons
Halo reach - Civilian 15,808 polygons
Halo reach - Elite (ranger) 23,964 polygons
Halo reach - Elite (field marshal) 27,394 polygons
Halo reach - Kat 31,158 polygons

I have the Halo 4 master chief model (here).....but it's been tampered with, so no numbers on him yet. some say he's about 30,000 polygons but i'll wait to say if it's true when i get my hands on the real model. Also interested in The hunters as well, (in game model) some say the Hunters are pretty hefty in polys too.

that all i got for now.

That is not 343's Master Chief model at all. Just compare it with the screenshot from the VidDoc.

That is not 343's Master Chief model at all. Just compare it with the screenshot from the VidDoc.

yup, it's a dupe model, with added geometry everywhere which is why i disposed of it.

Thank you very much for the link to the Mafia 2 poly count! Keep'em coming! :D

no prob, i will keep an eye out for rare models if i get a chance to spot some.

-------

halo 4 and reach are some of the hardest to find because you have fans out there like "405th.com" that make fan made replicas. And i'm going to say right off the bat when I do get my hands on some halo 4 models their wire frame meshes aren't going to look like "this", the reason being is that the models that 343 studios have like many other companies are before they are encrypted into the game.

the models that i get are extracts; which get converted through at least 3 programs. their textures (if they come with any) and geometry remain intact but their formats change. In the situation for geometry the conversion will usually change the models from squares to triangulated polygons. so if i get a model the form will be their but the wire mesh will look a little diff.

anyways, i got some models to convert as well as inspect among other things to do, and i will post more numbers when i get a chance to. :smile2:

The model is already converted to triangles when it gets into the game engine. It's not the extracting that triangulates them, no engine works with quads as far as I know.

The model is already converted to triangles when it gets into the game engine. It's not the extracting that triangulates them, no engine works with quads as far as I know.

A few models I've had turned up with both quads and tris. It could be do to the first extraction process that tinkers with the wire frame, i don't know.

For the engines that render in triangles only, i don't know if all but there is a tremendous bulk that do, so that could be the answer.

Mass effect - Seran 15,076 polygons
Battlefield 3 - Vladimir Kamarivsky 15,819 polygons
Battlefield 3 - Kiril 15,818 polygons
Soul calibur IV - Yoda 17,097 polygons
Soul calibur IV - Vader 21,158 polygons
Deus EX - Adam Jensen 25,953 polygons
Rumble Roses XX - Reiko 34,042 polygons

well, that's it for today. I think i've gotten through most of this generation of top games. looking forward to Halo 4, FFXIII-3, Tombraider, Metal Gear R, Ground zeros, Phantom pain, Crysis 3, beyond, GTA5, and the last of Us to complete the generation. :smile2:

Hello everyone I am new, I like to find out polygon numbers as a sort of hobby and I wanted to share a few, one is for Sky crawlers innocent Aces for the wii a spiritual successor to ace combat, it also uses the same engine as the ps2 games. I have 1900 for the in game model, 2800 for cockpit view and 3600 for the hanger model

the other is the fictional YR-99 from Ace combat x and Ace combat x2 given to my by a Chinese hacker it is about 1600 polygons for the hanger model

http://imageshack.us/f/209/polywantacount.png/

Hello everyone I am new, I like to find out polygon numbers as a sort of hobby and I wanted to share a few, one is for Sky crawlers innocent Aces for the wii a spiritual successor to ace combat, it also uses the same engine as the ps2 games. I have 1900 for the in game model, 2800 for cockpit view and 3600 for the hanger model

the other is the fictional YR-99 from Ace combat x and Ace combat x2 given to my by a Chinese hacker it is about 1600 polygons for the hanger model

http://imageshack.us/f/209/polywantacount.png/

Ah, very interesting, thanks for sharing. :smile2:

Ah, very interesting, thanks for sharing. :smile2:

thanks I have a few more i'll post in a couple days. I sort of wanted to ask you guys something actually. I was sort of wondering how many polygons where used in the ps2 tech demos namco girl and old man. http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/19/ps2-tech-demos/
the old man gives the number of Verts but not Triangles while the namco girl gives nothing, but they did another girl of similar quality for rrv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbEGBK7mW2A I just wanted to see if anyone knew, a friend of mine tried to extract the model but it came out incomplete with many faces missing and no hair, it came out as on 9500 faces which seemed odd because thats about what a ffx or RE4 character is and it seemed more smooth, especially the hands. any help would be great and I will get you guys more numbers soon.

Any nubers on Tekken Tag 2? :)
And since you mentioned PS2, I am pretty curious about Tekken Tag Tournament 1.
The character models seemed to have the highest polycount compared to any other Tekken that was released on the PS2. The models hold well even today

thanks I have a few more i'll post in a couple days. I sort of wanted to ask you guys something actually. I was sort of wondering how many polygons where used in the ps2 tech demos namco girl and old man. http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/19/ps2-tech-demos/
the old man gives the number of Verts but not Triangles while the namco girl gives nothing, but they did another girl of similar quality for rrv

ah, and i had the magazine that covered that. it was this magazine (here)

I think it was 100,000 polygons.
ps2demo5.jpg

As it stands, I've never recreated a model based on verts because the numbers never seem to add up....at least in my mind anyways. :)

I made a few snap shots based on what verts are..... using some figures.

Verts

example 1
example 2
example 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbEGBK7mW2A I just wanted to see if anyone knew, a friend of mine tried to extract the model but it came out incomplete with many faces missing and no hair, it came out as on 9500 faces which seemed odd because thats about what a ffx or RE4 character is and it seemed more smooth, especially the hands. any help would be great and I will get you guys more numbers soon.

the Namco girl is "Reiko nagase" and the other girl who was in Ridge Racer V was "Ai Fukami", the polygon numbers for both have yet to be determined. you can do it on your own if you have the skills at your disposal. I do know XNALARA.com loves to extract all kinds of female characters from all sorts of games. if they get the job done you can post the numbers here if you like.

later, i'll be posting more numbers till then, got to get some rest now.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually a more complex issue. Every time you have a break in the UVs, the normals, or anything, then it has to be separate vertices. Actual polygon counts are also changed by triangle strips and fans. It's all quite technical and as I haven't really done any ingame modeling in 10 years, most of my knowledge is theoretical at this point ;)

That's actually a more complex issue. Every time you have a break in the UVs, the normals, or anything, then it has to be separate vertices. Actual polygon counts are also changed by triangle strips and fans. It's all quite technical and as I haven't really done any ingame modeling in 10 years, most of my knowledge is theoretical at this point ;)

Exactly that's an other thing, a lot of other little things have to be taken into account as well.

there are times where you will see verts tending to be some where around half the number of tris. I've tried using algorithms to recreate polygons; but it tends to involve the splitting of Decimals, and then still being off.

It's a headache not worth having.

--------------------------

Velvet Assassin - Violet 14,219 polygons
Metroid Prime Other M - Samus (VariaSuit) 15,280 polygons
Metroid Prime Other M - Samus (PowerSuit) 15,342 polygons
Metroid Prime Other M - MB 14,119 polygons
Batman : Arkham city - HarleyQuinn 17,731 polygons
Batman : Arkham city - HarleyQuinn (DLC) 19,110 polygons
Batman : Arkham city - PosinIvy 15,977 polygons
Tekken Tag tournament 2 - Asuka Kazama (kimono) 18,353 polygons
Enslaved - Monkey 20,407 polygons

that it for now, or i should say To be continued. :smile2:

Violet is really that much? :p :|

Kind of interesting how Harley jumps 2K polys without looking much different with all the textures applied. Were her facial animations improved for the DLC or something?

Exactly that's an other thing, a lot of other little things have to be taken into account as well.

there are times where you will see verts tending to be some where around half the number of tris. I've tried using algorithms to recreate polygons; but it tends to involve the splitting of Decimals, and then still being off.

It's a headache not worth having.

--------------------------

Velvet Assassin - Violet 14,219 polygons
Metroid Prime Other M - Samus (VariaSuit) 15,280 polygons
Metroid Prime Other M - Samus (PowerSuit) 15,342 polygons
Metroid Prime Other M - MB 14,119 polygons
Batman : Arkham city - HarleyQuinn 17,731 polygons
Batman : Arkham city - HarleyQuinn (DLC) 19,110 polygons
Batman : Arkham city - PosinIvy 15,977 polygons
Tekken Tag tournament 2 - Asuka Kazama (kimono) 18,353 polygons
Enslaved - Monkey 20,407 polygons

that it for now, or i should say To be continued. :smile2:

Thanks for all of your contributions. Those polygon counts for Other M are a bit higher than I expected, especially for a Wii game. In comparison, what was polygon count for the Samus' model in the Prime games?

Back