"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

So the word is 500k polygons per car in GT5 as compared to 200k in GT5P, I wonder if that's for the photomode or ingame.
Ofcourse it'll be for Photomode,car selection & main menu.
There is no need for having that many amount of polys during races...in the first place

But couldn't they save some some resources by implementing the LOD system for Drake too? Or there's very little to gain in their engine by going that route ?

Although it makes sense to use much lower polygon during race since they won't be noticed, but that still doesn't explain the figures from GT5 prologue since it doesn't have photomode, so what about the 200k car, replay mode?

Although it makes sense to use much lower polygon during race since they won't be noticed, but that still doesn't explain the figures from GT5 prologue since it doesn't have photomode, so what about the 200k car, replay mode?

Prologue didnt had a Photomode, but it had car selection & Main menu :)

But couldn't they save some some resources by implementing the LOD system for Drake too? Or there's very little to gain in their engine by going that route ?

It'd only make sense if the camera would move out further away and make Drake's polygons become too small. And the amount of pixels he takes up on the screen is usually not too big anyway.

It'd only make sense if the camera would move out further away and make Drake's polygons become too small. And the amount of pixels he takes up on the screen is usually not too big anyway.
Plus, so you save 10-20k polygons off Drake, where else are you going to put them that'll make a significant difference? As he's centre-screen up clsoe all the time, it makes sense to dress him up as nice as possible.

The Kanji 2 万 3 千 means 23k. So yes the model has 23k polygons. They must have used a lot of tris for the hair too.

yeah that confirms it, 23k it is.

though i'm not sure if they're including the 4 guns + sword she wears while in combat, they seem to be highlighting just the bare model in all of their shots.
http://i47.tinypic.com/29fq8fn.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/23iji2d.jpg

i also want to know what the poly count of the environments are. google translator keeps on saying 50 million polygons.
Each background scene data, as a guide around which consists of about 50 million polygons.
original quote-
各背景シーンデータは、目安として約 50 万ポリゴン程度で構成されている。
must be a typo, it's either 5 million or 500 thousand.:???:

yeah that confirms it, 23k it is.

i also want to know what the poly count of the environments are. google translator keeps on saying 50 million polygons.
original quote-must be a typo, it's either 5 million or 500 thousand.:???:

Maybe he is talking about the polygon count of the whole level and not the polygons per second that the engine can push.

Maybe he is talking about the polygon count of the whole level and not the polygons per second that the engine can push.

i don't know, I'm trying out the game right now. the loading times are indeed heavily spaced out compared to DMC4. most of the environments you wander in start and finish on the same map.

there's also a lot of LOD morphing going on, so i'm guessing the developers went out of the way to make whole sections of levels to roam around in.

i'm surprised, i'm playing a specific huge section and i haven't yet hit a black loading screen or a brief in-game pause saying loading.

Plus, so you save 10-20k polygons off Drake, where else are you going to put them that'll make a significant difference? As he's centre-screen up clsoe all the time, it makes sense to dress him up as nice as possible.
having LOD also consumes extra memory

Half million, so 500k polygons for the background. They used a lot of 2d planes for the trees and vegetation, they rotate according to the direction you're viewing them.

yes, you're correct.

yahoo babelfish says-
Each background scene data consists of approximately 500,000 polygon as a standard.

original quote.
各背景シーンデータは、目安として約 50 万ポリゴン程度で構成されている。

Something occurs to me... In five years, I'm kinda predicting Tessellation will be one of those things we take for granted because *Everyone* uses it, and by then we could be well into micropolygon rasterizers. With that, what will we be comparing? Base meshes? I hear Drake in Uncharted V is made up of over 35 million polygons, OH, Ugh, camera moved! - Now he's 31.7 million!!! We'll have to update this thread in realtime!!

35 thousand you mean.

we'll be lucky if the next gen hits 200 thousand per character.:smile2:

No, I really did mean 35 million (Note I satyrically said Uncharted V) - That's not necessarily an immediate thing, however, but something that will be introduced in time with micropoly rasterization. Anyway, next-gen, we'll almost absolutely have access to tessellation from day one, and if things go toward what Nvidia/ATI see, that micropolygon rasterizer will be standard sooner rather than later. Now the problem... Next-gen the only thing that can be nailed down is base mesh. Tessellated geometry is dynamically altered making any concrete number meaningless. Meaning, you can know the base geometry of a model, but once it runs through tesellation and hits the frame, that number could be anything, depending on any number of variables. That number would constantly be in motion and impossible for an outside observer to state with any concrete certainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just heard that FFXIII characters on average are 30,000 polygons, and most of that is spent on faces and hair.

Back