"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

i refuse to believe that a an entire killzone 1 level had only 10-15k polygons. thats just silly. the poly count of killzone 2 characters is just noticeably higher than any other game out there. so i dont really believe that guy. and seriously the jak and daxter both have 10k polygons in jak2+. that statement says alot about this guy's credibility.

Its becouse they count the polygons in the non normal mapped character which they are going to extract normal maps from. Just taking a close look at KZ2 you see hard edges and not "that" high polygon count. And remember that Jak2 didnt use normal mapping for character, a technique to give impression that there is more geometry than it really is. ;)

saw that this morning, i wish more companies would do articles like that, even a more detailed post-mortem in regards to art (they tend to be design / programming focused usually)

[C]haracters are used that have the same polygon resolution in both the game action and the event demos. This means that the game screens and video clips are seamlessly connected, making it easier for players to become emotionally involved.

[W]ith the exception of crowds, characters are used that have the same polygon resolution in both the game action and the event demos.

Interesting...

Well, it seems my estimations were indeed wrong, although not in the way most people here believed. 5-10K polygons and 512*512 face textures - very impressive results on such tight resources.

Well, it seems my estimations were indeed wrong, although not in the way most people here believed. 5-10K polygons and 512*512 face textures - very impressive results on such tight resources.

5-10k polygons for models on MGS4?

10K for Snake in MGS4?

CharacterPS3.jpg

You mean this?

Wow that's amazing :oops:

You can definitely notice some peaks due to not as many polygons being used such as in the: arms, shoulders, legs, and thighs. It's really normal mapping that makes Snake look like a very impressive model.

Seems like all these numbers are pretty much meaningless :???:[/QUOTE]

we have a winner.

my mantra is "as long as it looks good and runs well, who the hell cares?" basically with normal maps these days you can just look for any really nasty silhouette areas and put an extra poly or two to get "just enough" more curve into it, then no one can tell.

remember kids, when modelling, ALWAYS use silhouette mode (generally constant black or turn off all the scene lights :))

The problem you people don't see with MGS4 is that its art direction and style is very much "straight/hard edges". You don't notice bigger polygons as easily because the game has a very natural look to it, and the developers know this. Look at Vamps glove around the wrist - doesn't it look very edgy? Yes. But does it look out of place? No...because it fits in with the sharp style of the game.

I dont know if this has been touched yet, but how many polygons was the big guy from RE4 pushing. I cant think of his name it was something like el gauntey or something.

CharacterPS3.jpg

Character4B.jpg

5~10K ?!

Seems like all these numbers are pretty much meaningless :???:
Those are cutscene models you're looking at, which are likely much higher quality than the in-game model of Snake.

In fact, the poly count for each of those models might very well be higher than those of Uncharted.

Those are cutscene models you're looking at, which are likely much higher quality than the in-game model of Snake.

In fact, the poly count for each of those models might very well be higher than those of Uncharted.

Apparently the cutscene models are exactly the same as the models you play as/against.

Back