Post *your* Lair impressions/experiences

Yeah bought the game afterwards and no I wasnt impressed with the demo at E3 (although i wouldnt say I hated it). Kind of the my Playstation needs a game and I had extra store credit with gamestop sort of situation (the 3 day weekend also had an effect on the purchase :)). Probably finish the game tomorrow and trade it in at the local comic book/pawn shop store, ordeal will of probably cost me about 15-20 dollars.

Just finish the game and you wouldn't want to trade it in because it is so damn addictive. I kept going back to each chapter to get the gold medal.
Tip: you need to use L2 and R2 to suspend the dragon in the air so you can easily aim the target.

Nope, these days (was it fw 1.8?) you can use it over teh interwebs. Very cool.

I'm totally confused. Why would Factor 5 fail to mention that you can play this game via PSP and why would they also fail to mention that you can play this game with the analog sticks if you plug in a PS2 controller via USB? The first being a really cool feature that may have swayed reviewers a little higher just for the novelty factor. The latter being something that flies right in the face of all the criticism about the motion control only issue. The reviews are out and they all seemed quite low. Alot of damage has been done (by the reviews).....why would they not go public with this prior to release? Why the stealth release too? It just seems so bone headed on Sony and F5's part.

They didn't mention it was playable by PSP because its not completely playable on the PSP due to missing controls resulting in some missions being impossible to do on the PSP from my understanding (apparently no way to shake to destroy objects though it would seem that should just map to mash the dpad personally).

This is also the same issue if you use say a PS2 controller in which case apparently analog does get used for controlling flight.

So how hard would it be to for them to remap that one thing? They delayed it a month. I can't imagine that they couldn't have gotten something that trivial taken care of in a thirty day window. Does it make the game unplayable or severly lacking not being able to perform that fuction? This makes it even more confusing. Why even include the PSP functionality or PS2 analog control if it wasn't quite finished?

I have played this game now up until the icearea / prison-mission and have no problems with the controls and fighting. Lock on and stuff works fine. It's actually very fluid and easy to control and have a very different feel to the flying compared to Warhawk for example. Which it should since there is a dragon you're flying and not a craft.

Only problems I had with the controls was with the the first QTE on the coralsnake boss. With some practicing it worked out anyways. 180 and forward dash works fine.

Tutorial wise I played the flying tutorials a few times and then i felt I got the hang of it.

However, the framerate is horrible in this game so it totally ruins the whole experience. It has a constant lag that almost makes it unplayable at times. Maybe my 80-inch screen makes the lag worse than if I would play it on a regular screen.
Furthermore the graphics ar very uneven ranging from jawdropping to looking like an old gen game.

F5 should have delayed it a few more months and taken care of the framerate. Other than that it's a pretty decent game.

EDIT: ^^ I updated my FW to 1.92 before playing.

I have played this game now up until the icearea / prison-mission and have no problems with the controls and fighting. Lock on and stuff works fine. It's actually very fluid and easy to control and have a very different feel to the flying compared to Warhawk for example. Which it should since there is a dragon you're flying and not a craft.

Only problems I had with the controls was with the the first QTE on the coralsnake boss. With some practicing it worked out anyways. 180 and forward dash works fine.

Tutorial wise I played the flying tutorials a few times and then i felt I got the hang of it.

However, the framerate is horrible in this game so it totally ruins the whole experience. It has a constant lag that almost makes it unplayable at times. Maybe my 80-inch screen makes the lag worse than if I would play it on a regular screen.
Furthermore the graphics ar very uneven ranging from jawdropping to looking like an old gen game.

F5 should have delayed it a few more months and taken care of the framerate. Other than that it's a pretty decent game.

EDIT: ^^ I updated my FW to 1.92 before playing.

Obviously with such a huge screen you'll be playing in 1080p? But if so, could you check if 720p has a lot less framerate issues?

Obviously with such a huge screen you'll be playing in 1080p? But if so, could you check if 720p has a lot less framerate issues?

Actually, I have a 720p projector right now but is planning an upgrade this winter. I'll try with 1080i thou to see if that makes any different.

I tried this at work today on a 56" 1080P Bravia up to stage 4. The PS3 had been upgraded to firmware 1.92.

First I watched my co-worker play it with nary a control problem. Then I took the controls, and despite a little getting used to I was crusing around with no problem in no time. In fact my only real complaint about the game would be that it's a little difficult to see what exaclty you're supposed to do sometimes.

The framerate does drop, but it was nowhere near what some impressions had led me to believe. I think it's much more noticable when watching someone play it, than playing it yourself. I'd say it has a better framerate than something like Shadow of the Colossus, which was a kick ass game despite that fact.

Of course I haven't played it enough to give it a review, but based on my initial impressions I would say it's much more in line with a 7 than the 4s and 5s it's been receiving.

Oninotsume

Anyone tried Lair with the controller plugged in with usb to the console? Is the lag in input reduced more?

This is how I play it usually. I also played with the USB cable unplugged, there's not much difference.

After 1.92, the control is definitely more sensitive. The improvement is most noticeable in sudden movement/gestures. For other more gradual movements, I didn't have any trouble at all. Now I need to adjust to the quicker response. Still not a big problem although I wish Sony includes a sensitivity adjuster and self-diagnose in XMB itself.

Also after the update, I completed the sea serpent level (after 8 tries in several sittings). The enemy dragons are harder to see here because:
(i) The mantas may obstruct the "little" dragons, and
(ii) Enemies are spread (much) further apart compared to the bridge level. The bridge and buildings served as a focal point for all in previous levels, and here it's just an open coast.

Because there is no radar, I need to do quick patrols of an area to make sure it is cleared. Dragon vision can't see through opaque objects :). Here, Factor 5 should have at least an audio/visual cue to tell me if I can move on (or report the number of dragons left in the vaccinity).

All in all, flying a dragon is a hectic and violent ordeal (with all the targeting, 180 degree turns and swoops).

The serpents are awesome to watch. I had to replay the level most of the time because I couldn't figure out how to slay them. I am still not quite sure yet; will have to replay this level later to find out more. Still a 7 so far, but I begin to like the game more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not a big problem although I wish Sony includes a sensitivity adjuster and self-diagnose in XMB itself.

Good idea! I've never felt any lag in Flow or Super rubadub....and I love just switching off and playing Flow - where I become the little fishy things...and just automatically move...it's great. So why does Lair have this slight delay?

Good idea! I've never felt any lag in Flow or Super rubadub....and I love just switching off and playing Flow - where I become the little fishy things...and just automatically move...it's great. So why does Lair have this slight delay?

I don't think Lair has a different delay from Super rub-a-dub. People who had problems with Lair probably encountered the same issues with Super rub-a-dub. The latter was rated low by reviewers too although some like me have no issues. I heard some of them had problems jumping in the the duck game (another sudden SIXAXIS movement).

The firmware update seems to increase the sensitive for all controllers.

I should mention that today is the first time I tried "dashing" (Thrust SIXAXIS forward). There are usually many things happening at once in Lair, so it's easy to forget about specific controls and moves. Don't say I didn't remind you ;-)

The next Lair mission looks interesting too.

Back