Who will be the market leader (console sales) at the end of CY2007?

Who will be the market leader (console sales) at the end of CY2007?

• Nintendo (Wii)

Votes: 83 55.7%
  • Microsoft (Xbox 360)

Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Sony (PlayStation 3)

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Nintendo/Microsoft

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • Nintendo/Sony

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Sony/Microsoft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Three way tie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know! Get the popcorn!

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
Whenever this comment comes up I check a few stores via their websites, and every time they have them in stock. Try ordering from Play, Amazon, Game or Woolworths ;)

Of course, it could only be the UK that has a nice stock supply and I'm sure the situation is different in other parts of the world.

Not in my part. You can buy one any time you feel like it.

Although I expect them to disappear November-ish.

It's fairly obvious that the Wii will be ranked 1st, followed by the XB360 and PS3. In that order. If you start a fresh one for 2008 and only counting those machines sold in 2008, then it will be much more interesting I think.

If we are talking about xmas sales, then I can honestly see the PS3 beating the XB360, especially if sells at $399.

How can this be, despite current trends?

1. I know for a fact that the PS3 has a huge fanbase waiting for a price drop
2. Many PS3 fans obviously are just waiting till xmas (regardless or price) to get the system as there will be a wider choice of good games then.
3. The fifa series is always better on PS, due to the controller. In Europe, that game will be as big or bigger than Madden 2k8 in the US.
4. World wide sales right now for the PS3 exceed the XB360. Therefore coupled with a price drop, PS3 will easily have the most xmas sales this xmas.

NOTE: I'm comparing the Xb360 to the PS3 alone.....once Nintendo can produce enough Wiis, they will win hands down...but that is soley up to them.

I can easily see the PS3 picking up some momemtum from the Xmas into 2k8...especially with KZ2, GT5, MGS4, FF13 etc due out in 2008.....PS3 will have a massive year in 2008k.

What I'm hoping Sony do, is produce atleast a 1.5M $399 40GB PS3s for xmas.....by E3 next year that stock will be very low or non existant. It is then I want Sony to annouce that they will go with only one SKU, a 100GB PS3 for only $399......and maybe at XMAS 2k8 drop it to $349 or $299......it is then the PS3 could well take over the number of consoles sold worldwide, even beating the Wii.

If we are talking about xmas sales, then I can honestly see the PS3 beating the XB360, especially if sells at $399.

How can this be, despite current trends?

1. I know for a fact that the PS3 has a huge fanbase waiting for a price drop
2. Many PS3 fans obviously are just waiting till xmas (regardless or price) to get the system as there will be a wider choice of good games then.
3. The fifa series is always better on PS, due to the controller. In Europe, that game will be as big or bigger than Madden 2k8 in the US.
4. World wide sales right now for the PS3 exceed the XB360. Therefore coupled with a price drop, PS3 will easily have the most xmas sales this xmas.

NOTE: I'm comparing the Xb360 to the PS3 alone.....once Nintendo can produce enough Wiis, they will win hands down...but that is soley up to them.

I can easily see the PS3 picking up some momemtum from the Xmas into 2k8...especially with KZ2, GT5, MGS4, FF13 etc due out in 2008.....PS3 will have a massive year in 2008k.

What I'm hoping Sony do, is produce atleast a 1.5M $399 40GB PS3s for xmas.....by E3 next year that stock will be very low or non existant. It is then I want Sony to annouce that they will go with only one SKU, a 100GB PS3 for only $399......and maybe at XMAS 2k8 drop it to $349 or $299......it is then the PS3 could well take over the number of consoles sold worldwide, even beating the Wii.

I'm sorry but most of that is inaccurate mumbo jumbo.

The first point might be true, the second one is questionable. Why would anybody wait for christmas to buy something for themselves, especially if it's something they really want?.
The Fifa part is only your opinion regarding the controller and what makes you think it's bigger in Europe than Madden in US?, The fourth part I believe is wrong. X360 is selling better worldwide currently.

You probably haven't run those estimates with a calculator have you?

edit: hmm it seems Fifa is about as big as Madden I'll give you that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but most of that is inaccurate mumbo jumbo.

The first point might be true, the second one is questionable. Why would anybody wait for christmas to buy something for themselves, especially if it's something they really want?.
The Fifa part is only your opinion regarding the controller and what makes you think it's bigger in Europe than Madden in US?, The fourth part I believe is wrong. X360 is selling better worldwide currently.

You probably haven't run those estimates with a calculator have you?

edit: hmm it seems Fifa is about as big as Madden I'll give you that.

Ok my mistake, the XB360 has been selling better worldwide according to the most recent stats, but not significantly.

And remember one thing, PS3 rules Japan and Europe to a less extent when compared to the 360.

It is not hard to imagine the PS3 doing better world wide than the 360 this xmas.

And remember one thing, PS3 rules Japan and Europe to a less extent when compared to the 360.

The Xbox 360 leads the PS3, 3.3M to 1.4M, in "other" territories. That isn't uniform with MS stronger in some areas than others (e.g. MS is strong in the UK, less so in some European contries).

I wouldn't say the PS3 rules over Europe compared to the 360. It may, at the end of the day, but that isn't the current situation.

@ Faf: reports are Nintendo is major stockpiling already and the supply limits are being kept fairly stable for the holiday push. My assumption was wrong. I lose :LOL:

Do we have information on how many units Sony and MS have sold in Europe this year? Has Sony even sold more units? I mean they launched in Europe in March so they have quite an edge because of that, but currently I have the feeling Europe is about even, it's just a gut feeling, but Sony is not certainly ruling over MS in Europe.

Do we have information on how many units Sony and MS have sold in Europe this year? Has Sony even sold more units? I mean they launched in Europe in March so they have quite an edge because of that, but currently I have the feeling Europe is about even, it's just a gut feeling, but Sony is not certainly ruling over MS in Europe.
As far as The Netherlands goes, myself I only know people with 360's, whereas Arwin's friends all have PS3's. So that doesn't help either. :)

As far as The Netherlands goes, myself I only know people with 360's, whereas Arwin's friends all have PS3's. So that doesn't help either. :)

Ditto. The price difference here in The Netherlands is huge: 350 euro vs. 600 euro. Sure, you get Motorstorm and Resistance, but the fact remains that you have to shell out 600 euro to get a PS3, whereas XBOX 360 offers a choice of various bundles, shortly including the Halo 3 bundle for 380 euro.

Wii will change everything.

They did change everything.

All other choices are borderline delusional. Wii is over the hill and far away. It is selling at an unprecedented rate. Faster than PS2. That is a huge achievement by Nintendo.

360 never had a chance of market leadership. PS3's chance died at the price announcement.

PS3's chance died at the price announcement.

Good points, but this point as simple as it is, describes their situation perfectly.

They made many other mistakes this gen, but their price anouncement, in the end, is what scratched them from the top of the pile before they ever shipped a unit.

Wii is over the hill and far away. It is selling at an unprecedented rate. Faster than PS2.

I thought the PS2 sold like 18M consoles in its first full year. Nintendo seems to be a bit off that pace.

Edit: 24.99M total lifetime units in 2001, 6.4M sold in 2000, so 18.5M units sold in the PS2's first full year (2001).

Nintendo isn't touching 24.99M (total sales) or 18.5M in 2007. That isn't to diminish the Wii, only to pay proper respect to the PS2. The Wii isn't selling faster than the PS2.

If Nintendo has been stocking piling significant amounts they may be in the general ballpark though. Impressive anyway you cut it.

I heard it best from a poster here on B3D... but I can't remember who?

and I quote "Nintendo has gone over the hill and gone!, never to be seen again"

or something along those lines:smile:

This about sums it up for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
PS2 shipped 10.61m units in its first 15 months. http://www.playstation.com/business.html

It hit 28.68m units after 27 months. Wii's already demolished that pace. ;)

Totally flawed because you are counting launch aligned WW Wii sales against Japanese launch aligned PS2 sales--when the PS2 wasn't available in most markets. Just look at the US, launch aligned:

PS2, US sales, first 10 months: 6.24M

Wii, US sales, first 10 months: 4.02M

Lets look at territories if you wish, at least launch align each territory. Or keep it simple: First full year sales. The PS2 sold 18.5M units in its first full calendar year.

I do find your numbers spin though because

1. The PS2 sold more in its first holiday (6.4M... oh, you say, but it released in the Spring? Exactly! :LOL:).
2. The PS2 is well on pace to sell more in its first full CY than the Wii in its first full CY, which indicates a faster sales rate.
3. The rate of sale in each territory was faster for the PS2.
4. Aligning launches the PS2 has a faster sales rate.

Only by including a 6 month period where no PS2's were available in NA or Europe is the Wii able to come up with a faster rate.

Which was the point of "first full calendar year" totals in the first place: to look at a relatively comparable pace instead of pr spin. That is why I didn't include PS2 first holiday sales because the PS2 numbers are inflated due to the early Japanese launch. I could have easily just lumped in those extra 6M units and called it, "End of 1st full CY sales since launch" and really inflated the PS2 numbers. But the response was one of sales rate/pace.

The PS2, month-to-month, sold at a faster pace in released markets than the Wii currently is.

:LOL: Who's spinning?

Now you're just counting the US? I'm talking world wide sales, and as far as this thread has been concerned, it's been world wide sales.

You said in its first full year, the PS2 sold 18m consoles. Obviously that's not right, worldwide or US only, and that's what I referenced. In its first full year, it shipped 10.61m units. By its second year it was 28.68m units.

Now you're moving the goalposts by linking off to a site talking about US only. ;)

Back