Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

Rumors about the AK in the hungarian military say that its shots go through railroad metal pieces easily. It's a very, very powerful weapon.

It's a good game, but I had some problems.

1) Instagib weapons aren't fun. Especially if they are explosive, and yet the enemy can still use it on you from five feet away.

You mean the grenade launcher (M4) ? I thought they were pretty handy. It's my secondary weapon initially. Too bad it only has 3 ammo. For my playthrough, the M4 guys always shot from a higher vantage point (i.e, they tried to pin me down from a platform while the rest flanked me).

As for the Dragon Sniper, I thought they were good too. Even a body shot can be a one-hit kill (when close enough I guess). The big problem is everyone ran and ducked, so the sniper rifle has very limited use.

3) The combat wasn't very good for how much of it there was. The enemies aimed too well while moving, the unaimed shots accuracy seemed to jump around a lot (there was one point where I shot off two shotgun shells unaimed at the same target, and only one hit), I didn't think the feedback was that good (shooting them in teh foot or chest seemed to have the same animation) and the hitboxes were weird (there were times where I had a shot lined up directly over somebody's head, and it just didn't connect).

Not quite true. Uncharted has different animation when you hit the enemies at different areas. I have seen the fat pirate hop around on one foot when my shotgun hit too low. I have also seen other pirates covering their stomachs or limbs where I hit them. They would even limp around if they survived the initial encounter (The damage seems persistent).

I have also made the pirates dropped their grenades 4-5 times when I shot them at the right moment.

Overall, I am most happy with their enemy AI. It's just that there were too many of them, and everyone was sneaky. In comparison, the melee was harder to time and execute, but rather satisfying when done right.

4) The weapon balance was all weird. I think the AK in the game was weaker than the pistols, when it should have been about on par per shot with the Desert Eagle, and the shotguns were way too good. I really just hate it when games use severely unrealistic weapons, and here they did it without having a real point.

Yeah, the AK stinks but there are better options later. They should have made it a little more powerful. The rest of the arsenal is great. My personal favorites are the M16 and Mossberg.

5) Making enemies bullet sponges is almost never a good idea. In monster games I can understand it, but when we are talking about just giving the enemies bullet proof vests and helmets at the end of the game to make them tougher, then no. Having to shoot an enemy five times rather than 3 does not make them more fun.

... only at the beginning though. Some weapons are more powerful. Use them
(e.g., you mentioned shotgun was too powerful above). The pistols were trustworthy too. The only problem child is the AK. From my experiences, later enemies were easier to take out because of your campanion (Sully or Elena), and the heavy weapons, despite their better protective gears.

Because the enemies were so mobile, I think the reload time of some weapons became a weakness (e.g., sub-machine gun). I tend to shy away from them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all marketing and hype.

I've said for awhile that you could have given Lost Planet the Gears of War treament and the games could swap places. I got alot of flak for taht, but I stand by it, even though I know that most gamers would actually prefer the Gears gameplay. If Lost Planet og covered in honey and shoved up your butt like Gears did...

Maybe -and I don't believe this- Sony is intentionally keeping these games (Unch, R&C, HS)under the radar so that when the time comes to "re-launch" or "remarket them" potentially multiple times, the games won't be old news to so many people.

The game are good enough. Uncharted in terms of quality is comparable and equal to Twilight princess. And likewise Ratchet to Metroid Prime 3. These games aren't flavor of the month stuff. They could be endearing classics. I wouldn't be suprised if new PS3 owners pick up a greatest-hits priced Uncharted as an essential game 4 years from now.

So maybe it's Sony's "Slow Burn" strategy. I think theyre just effing up.

You mean the grenade launcher (M4) ? I thought they were pretty handy. It's my secondary weapon initially. Too bad it only has 3 ammo. For my playthrough, the M4 guys always shot from a higher vantage point (i.e, they tried to pin me down from a platform while the rest flanked me).

As for the Dragon Sniper, I thought they were good too. Even a body shot can be a one-hit kill (when close enough I guess). The big problem is everyone ran and ducked, so the sniper rifle has very limited use.

For the record, I was talking about the enemy having instagib weapons (I think they were the magnum revolver, the deagle and the nade launcher). The problem is that these create trial and error situations where you have to figure out where the guys that have the power weapons are so you can kill them quickly, rather than taking the enemies as they come.

Not quite true. Uncharted has different animation when you hit the enemies at different areas. I have seen the fat pirate hop around on one foot when my shotgun hit too low. I have also seen other pirates covering their stomachs or limbs where I hit them. They would even limp around if they survived the initial encounter (The damage seems persistent).

I have also made the pirates dropped their grenades 4-5 times when I shot them at the right moment.
I saw that too, but I didn't see it having significant differences from the other animations. It seemed that the enemies would change to a hurt animation after a certain amount of damage where they held their side and limp, but I didn't really see any changes with how they actually acted.

Overall, I am most happy with their enemy AI. It's just that there were too many of them, and everyone was sneaky. In comparison, the melee was harder to time and execute, but rather satisfying when done right.

AI was great.

Yeah, the AK stinks but there are better options later. They should have made it a little more powerful. The rest of the arsenal is great. My personal favorites are the M16 and Mossberg.

The thing I dislike is just the way they represented the weapons. It is like they did absolutely no research and simply made them act however they wanted.

... only at the beginning though. Some weapons are more powerful. Use them
(e.g., you mentioned shotgun was too powerful above). The pistols were trustworthy too. The only problem child is the AK. From my experiences, later enemies were easier to take out because of your campanion (Sully or Elena), and the heavy weapons, despite their better protective gears.

Because the enemies were so mobile, I think the reload time of some weapons became a weakness (e.g., sub-machine gun). I tend to shy away from them too.

Personally, I think both of the ARs were anemic. If they were significantly more accurate than anything other than the sniper rifles or penetrated the body armor more easily then they would have been ok, but the weapons weren't realistic or useful.

Uncharted5.jpg

For the record, I was talking about the enemy having instagib weapons (I think they were the magnum revolver, the deagle and the nade launcher). The problem is that these create trial and error situations where you have to figure out where the guys that have the power weapons are so you can kill them quickly, rather than taking the enemies as they come.

It didn't make a real difference for me. The first time I encountered the launcher, I didn't even know I was being bombed. :) My attention was still the nearby pirates. The grenade launchers were not difficult to take out. I would just find an awkward angle to shoot until they fell, or disrupt their shot (Once you hit near them, they will duck just like everyone else).

The revolver and magnum were really nice. They were great to use but hardly make any difference to fight against (because I tried not to get shot at all/too much by diving and taking cover). Usually I only found out what pistols the pirates carried after they died. The Mossberg poised more problems than the pistols (once they come too close).

I saw that too, but I didn't see it having significant differences from the other animations. It seemed that the enemies would change to a hurt animation after a certain amount of damage where they held their side and limp, but I didn't really see any changes with how they actually acted.

I believe the key differences are: They became slower or stopped flanking me (temporarily). So it's easier to finish them off, before new ones fill in. Even better if they dropped their grenades.

Remember, the new guys may come from anywhere. I much prefer some lead time to pick up ammo or scout for a better place to hide.

The thing I dislike is just the way they represented the weapons. It is like they did absolutely no research and simply made them act however they wanted.

Given their attention to details, I think it's more likely they tuned it for the gameplay. My sense is they wanted us to move around more using the Mossberg, and practise headshots using the pistol.

Personally, I think both of the ARs were anemic. If they were significantly more accurate than anything other than the sniper rifles or penetrated the body armor more easily then they would have been ok, but the weapons weren't realistic or useful.

The M16 is robust (My top pick later in the game) since I can take out the final enemies easily with it. It is more powerful and easier to control than the AK. The magazine is large and it doesn't take too long to reload. With a healthy supply of ammo, the TMP is trustworthy too. Both of these weapons together should be enough to navigate through the entire game.

The M16 is robust (My top pick later in the game) since I can take out the final enemies easily with it. It is more powerful and easier to control than the AK.

There is no M16 in the game, you are talking about the M4. The grenade launcher is M79, but yeah M4 was much better than AK47 for some reason.

Did I let myself be taken by the - "ps3 is hard, rsx is of the shelve more like a 7600gt, cell is weak, 256mb!" - comments, or is that Picture showing how a game is suppose to look on PS3 ?

I would be a little embarrassed If my game didn't look at least half as good and with frame rate problems.

Did I let myself be taken by the - "ps3 is hard, rsx is of the shelve more like a 7600gt, cell is weak, 256mb!" - comments, or is that Picture showing how a game is suppose to look on PS3 ?

I would be a little embarrassed If my game didn't look at least half as good and with frame rate problems.

Uncharted looks like that...and the framerate is very good - in fact I'd say there's no drops in that section. Their hand painted textures are incredible. Buy the game...seriously it is the best looking game on consoles.

Yeah... no framerate problem for me @ 720p here. It's hard to imagine NaughtyDog was able to accomplish this feat within PS3's first year and starting from scratch.

Yeah... no framerate problem for me @ 720p here. It's hard to imagine NaughtyDog was able to accomplish this feat within PS3's first year and starting from scratch.

To be fair, you have to account for the fact that it is essentially a corridor shooter while most of the games people will be comparing it to (AC, Halo 3, Crysis) have a much larger scope. ND did do some amazing things with their art direction, though.

The only graphical "problems" or short-comings I've seen with Uncharted are occasional screen tearing, and delayed texture loading on some objects when loading new areas. Due to the limited frame buffer they have to tile the water texture so while it looks great up close, distant water is just a repeating texture. Also, the variety of textures is pretty limited (albeit absolutely gorgeous). All-in-all, still one of the best looking games out there, regardless of platform, IMHO.

To be fair, you have to account for the fact that it is essentially a corridor shooter while most of the games people will be comparing it to (AC, Halo 3, Crysis) have a much larger scope. ND did do some amazing things with their art direction, though.

"mostly" but it still manages to look fantastic in open areas (repeating water texture aside).

"mostly" but it still manages to look fantastic in open areas (repeating water texture aside).

The benefit of being a corridor shooter isn't only in a limited scope. ND can know that if a player is between point A and point B (where A and B are chosen for practicality within the game engine) then they know where the player can possibly move and what he can see (their limited platforming model helps them as well, since it is nearly impossible to get somewhere they don't want you to be). This means that they can carefully balance each section to take advantage of the power of the machine without going overboard. Something like assassin's creed can't do that because one moment the player might be on the rooftops and the next he might be looking at a single person.

The benefit of being a corridor shooter isn't only in a limited scope. ND can know that if a player is between point A and point B (where A and B are chosen for practicality within the game engine) then they know where the player can possibly move and what he can see (their limited platforming model helps them as well, since it is nearly impossible to get somewhere they don't want you to be). This means that they can carefully balance each section to take advantage of the power of the machine without going overboard. Something like assassin's creed can't do that because one moment the player might be on the rooftops and the next he might be looking at a single person.

All true, but I don't believe that should be used to discount what ND has achieved with Uncharted. It's a beautiful game, no matter how you slice it.

Yes, and they also innovated beyond pure visuals. If you follow their stories, they also attempted a new workflow and fluid dynamic based water, but both failed.

All true, but I don't believe that should be used to discount what ND has achieved with Uncharted. It's a beautiful game, no matter how you slice it.

I am not trying to discount anything. ND didn't just find a design doc somewhere that said "This game shall be corridor shooter like", they made a decision and it helped make the game look better. The only thing I am trying to say is that people shouldn't expect this to be a new standard because they had to make a lot of sacrifices to get it to look like that.

Back