Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

This is the maximum score they give a game that does not innovate ("here’s nothing substantially new in what it does"), if at least their scoring policy hasn't changed since last time I read it. ;)

Nice job, ND. And yes, it's striking how big the difference is between small screenshots and the real game. It's a testament to the detail in the textures that almost any compression or decrease in size immediately obscures a lot of detail.

He made it easy by killing them before they jumped in (Notice how he anticipated where the enemies appeared) ;-)

He also used the most effective weapons for the situation (He knew where to pick them up).

If you let these chaps in, they will try to corner you from all angles.

Well, I think he know when the ennemies arrived but I have the feeling that they died to easily… but it's only a feeling driving by these videos (not play the game by myself) and the practice of others shooters… but I don't think that the IA is on a hard level…

From my experience, the AI in all difficulty is "essentially" the same.
The main difference I've encountered is the damage the enemy outputs.
In easy I could take about 10 normal shots (not counting head shots, shotguns, grenades, magnums, desert eagles, or the like) until I have to duck for cover.
On hard It is reduced to about 5 normal shots, and in crushing it is further reduced to about 2~3 shots.

If you have good duck & cover tactics in hard,
it translates pretty well to Crushing, and you can cruise fairly easily through the game.
If I'm correct, the reason it seems that the AI is much harder in the harder difficulties is that you have a lot less time to aim and kill, because you have to give Drake time to recover from the taken damage.
less time to aim and kill translates to more enemies that will try to flank you, and once you're being flanked on the harder difficulties, it almost certainly translates to death :D

Just my 2 cents on AI....

EDIT:
Watched the video. That's doable on all levels of AI.
He basically memorized a path that made the job easy, nothing special :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think he know when the ennemies arrived but I have the feeling that they died to easily…

That's why I said he used the right weapons. The Mossberg (shotgun) up close is extremely dangerous (It works both ways !). It is a one shot kill if you aim properly.

The revolver he used in the first movie is rare in the game. It is also one shot (but only 6 bullets).

The M79 (grenade launcher) in the second movie is the most powerful weapon in the entire game (only 3 shots though)... and it can be used against you too with unlimited ammo.

EDIT: You can look at past posts where people complained about the AK47. The standard pistol is better but still take 1-5 shots to kill depending on where you shot the enemy. By then, they already have ample time to make their moves.

but it's only a feeling driving by these videos (not play the game by myself) and the practice of others shooters… but I don't think that the IA is on a hard level…

Yes. You cannot use these videos to judge the AI :) because he fought the pirates before the AI kicked in. That's why the movies are short and I posted them. It is probably the best strategy to deal with 'em pirates and mercs.

That's why I said he used the right weapons. The Mossberg (shotgun) up close is extremely dangerous (It works both ways !). It is a one shot kill if you aim properly.

The revolver he used in the first movie is rare in the game. It is also one shot (but only 6 bullets).

The M79 (grenade launcher) in the second movie is the most powerful weapon in the entire game (only 3 shots though)... and it can be used against you too with unlimited ammo.

Yes. You cannot use these videos to judge the AI :) because he fought the pirates before the AI kicked in.

Revolvers / D-eagles / Magnums are not one shot. If you use it on the fatter :)lol:) enemies, they take two shots before they fly away, unless, of course, you hit them in the head and they fall to the ground intantly. (Newton's laws, anyone?)

The shotgun is a one shot kill at close range for all difficulties and generally lacks the requirement for aiming. Great weapon, but try not to overuse it so that your long range shooting skills can keep up with the difficulty of the game. Trust me, you'll need it. Shotguns are not a one-gun-to-all-purposes gun. The 9mm handguns, however, are.

The M79 has a really good blast radius and all caught within range most probably will die, but Three shots make the medal hard to get (please commit suicide after you take it to the next area to reload and get more kills) and not particularly useful for all purposes due to the ammo limit, the rarity, and the incredibly long load time.

The real "fight" that really took place was limited to the first three pirates (two on the balconies, one in the water) and the two pirates that came in after you at the end.

That level really isn't that hard if you've practiced your aiming with COD4 :p, just remember to not take too much time killing them, and you won't have to deal with 5+ pirates at the same time at mid~close range, which is what REALLY kills you.

Edit: Note on the AK-47s. this is a TERRIBLE weapon for sniping and duck-cover tactics, and you should NOT use it for the purposes mentioned above. They take at least 5 hits for a kill, as opposed to 3 on a handgun. However, they are second to the shotguns when you try assaulting.

Revolvers / D-eagles / Magnums are not one shot. If you use it on the fatter :)lol:) enemies, they take two shots before they fly away, unless, of course, you hit them in the head and they go into pieces. (physics anyone?)

I see. Instinctively, I always use Mossberg to deal with the fat guys. I think it's because they usually carry Mossberg too.

The shotgun is a one shot kill at close range for all difficulties and generally lacks the requirement for aiming.

Sometimes my first shot was off and I hit their legs instead. They would hop around on 1 leg. :LOL:

Great weapon, but try not to overuse it so that your long range shooting can keep up with the difficulty of the game. Trust me, you'll need it.

I agree ! The M16 is my fave long range weapon. M79 is great but its limited ammo worries me.

therefore, the real "fight" that really took place was limited to the first three pirates (two on the balconies, one in the water) and the two pirates that came in after you at the end.

Yap ! And in the second video, he got them with M79. I was saving it for later use.

That level really isn't that hard if you've practiced your aiming with COD4 :p, just remember to not take too much time killing them, and you won't have to deal with 5+ pirates at the same time at mid~close range, which is what REALLY kills you.

That's right. Time to kill (and moving !) is the real test. Great room even though I rolled my eyes when damn pirates jumped down right in front of me when I played it (I knew I was a deadman).

Revolvers / D-eagles / Magnums are not one shot. If you use it on the fatter :)lol:) enemies, they take two shots before they fly away, unless, of course, you hit them in the head and they fall to the ground intantly. (Newton's laws, anyone?)

Are correct if you fall to the ground... In every other case, the game makes a mockery of them :devilish:

From my experience, the AI in all difficulty is "essentially" the same.
The main difference I've encountered is the damage the enemy outputs.
In easy I could take about 10 normal shots (not counting head shots, shotguns, grenades, magnums, desert eagles, or the like) until I have to duck for cover.
On hard It is reduced to about 5 normal shots, and in crushing it is further reduced to about 2~3 shots.

If you have good duck & cover tactics in hard,
it translates pretty well to Crushing, and you can cruise fairly easily through the game.
If I'm correct, the reason it seems that the AI is much harder in the harder difficulties is that you have a lot less time to aim and kill, because you have to give Drake time to recover from the taken damage.
less time to aim and kill translates to more enemies that will try to flank you, and once you're being flanked on the harder difficulties, it almost certainly translates to death :D

Just my 2 cents on AI....

EDIT:
Watched the video. That's doable on all levels of AI.
He basically memorized a path that made the job easy, nothing special :D

Disagree...as the difficulty ups...they get more mobile, come after you and flush you out more. You have to be MUCH more active on hard and crushing. I played on normal first.

I keep playing the demo over and over again, and each time it play's out differently. The enemy A.I. is excellent it keeps outsmarting me but it never gets frustrating because they cant do anything you cant do. It make's for a nice level playing field. Cant wait until its released in europe.

So I'm about 4hours into it and it states 55% complete.

The game started out quite slow but it has picked up since. It's certainly a fun game. There are slowdowns in some of the bigger battles but nothing compared to the slide show/stuttering/tearing as on the Jet Ski level. That was the worst so far.

The graphics look great for the most part. Especially the upclose stuff. In large scale shots the far backgrounds are much lower in quality and the water didn't impress me much. The character animation is awesome and on the level of Assassin's Creed, which is a good thing! The characters look great in game at a distance but upclose during cut scenes, it's Barbie's fun house coming to life. Very plastic like.

I'll buy the story but it's not exactly epic. More like a mindless adventure but fun enough because Drake's character is cool. Unfortunately, I can't stand the girl. She is very irritating and wouldn't mind handing her over to the pirates! Drake is cool though and since he's the playable character, it's all good.

If you've played HL2 and such, the puzzles will not be challenging. I can't think of one place where I had to even properly think so far. It's a nice element added still. The scope is Gears of war like. Not a lot of enemies on screen at once. The AI is fine. Nothing amazing, not poor. It's fun to wait and shoot the nades out of their hands :)

Onto combat. So far the Pistol is my favorite. It's much more precise. The AK is shit! worst implementation of an AK I've seen in a game to date. 2-3 round bursts and Pirates are still doing the breakdance of death. The Wes is cool though as is the shotgun. The cover system works out great in the game. Nicely implemented with the various peek out options.

The audio is fine. Nothing amazing. Nothing bad.

Overall, it's a better, more fun game than I remember with Resistance. I sat down to play for an hour or so and ended up with 4 so it's certainly doing many things right! I'd say, it's likely the best PS3 exclusive to date.

I'd say a solid 8.5 out of 10.

If you're still using the AKs (worst weapon in the game IMHO), then you have not progressed enough yet ^_^

Go go go, RobertR1 ! More frustration and fun ahead ! (Practise quick and sharp shooting with every opportunity you have).

Also, is the first jetski level that bad ? The only problem I had was the stop and shoot mechanism... and remember the second one has a different mechanics (Thanks go to deep brown. I need to replay that level).

If you've played HL2 and such, the puzzles will not be challenging. I can't think of one place where I had to even properly think so far. It's a nice element added still. The scope is Gears of war like. Not a lot of enemies on screen at once. The AI is fine. Nothing amazing, not poor. It's fun to wait and shoot the nades out of their hands :)

Which chapter are you in now ? The last puzzle, especially, was a little too much without the hints. As for enemy AI, you'll see more as the game progresses.

Yeah, I'm all about headshots and with cover, plenty of time to line it up. The Pistol is great for that. Or I put one in the chest and the recoil moves the crosshair up to the head for me and 2nd shot kills em. Should be close to the 100headshots medal.

Yeah, the Jet Ski level was painful to sit through. Very low framerate and tearing. Everything else has been great though.

I'm at Chapter 10.
where he shows her the picture and says "This is the closest we'll get to El Dorado"

Ok, I think the game still have some more tricks up its sleeves beyond that chapter. In terms of number of chapters, you're slightly less than halfway there though. Not sure why the game says 55% complete.

EDIT: I have heard from GAF that stop-n-pop in 1 cover may be less fun/more difficult later on... compared to dodging, running from cover to cover. The enemies are set up for the latter scenario (You'll find out soon enough). I played the game using mostly the former technique too.

I must say, that despite being short (I beat it in the first day I played it, about 9 hours), I really loved this game. It has that adventure game feel, but not that bad B-movie taste. So given the movie-ish feel I didn't mind the shortness of it, plus it was pure fun. My only real complaint IS the lack of online (I love the cover and shooting engine used in this game, more than Gears of War's), I wish the game had much more physics in place like early demos showed, and also I wish the game would've been a bit more open rather than on a straight path.

I must say though, this game is beautiful, I don't know how they did it, but I think Uncharted is pretty much the best looking game on the PS3, and I think in many ways out does GeoW in some regards, like in the shadowing engine. I don't know how their algorithm worked, but the lack of shadow tiling on characters really made me happy, but along with that all the other shadowing and the lighting was awesome. Does anyone know if all the graphics were done on the RSX or was the Cell involved in anyway?

Either way, Uncharted looks amazing, and plays well. It's not a game of the year contender but boy oh boy it's just pure fun and great to watch.

i wouldn't call 9 hours short, thats pretty typical for the genre. i think you should space your gaming out a little more, 9 hours in one sitting is quite a long time. the longest i've played a game was for 3 or maybe 4 hours. but usually in one sitting, i play a game for 1-2 hours.

Back