Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

I have a minor complaint though: while everything was very solid, there seemed to be a lack of interaction with objects like explosive barrels. Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough, but I simply couldn't get them to move. I'd like to have pushed one particular explosive barrel down a cliff, for instance, but couldn't. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

Yes, in terms of actual physics there isn't as much of it as in say Heavenly Sword it seems ... mostly restricted to the bodies, not that many other objects to interact with.

Also, I was a bit surprised about the opening movie. It turns out you can skip it but unlike HS you're placed immediately in-game. I had initially thought the opening movie was used in the same way HS's demo used it (keeping the user occupied as data was loaded), but evidently it was not.

Well, this demo is on the harddrive. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out in the real game. That said, they talked about their extensive use of BluRay streaming and the HDD combined to make loadtimes almost non-existent, and it will be interesting to see how far they got with that.

I sat there for minutes trying to cross him up or get some unnatural movement out of his feet.
Stand still. Start moving. Watch his feet magically glide across the ground before he starts running. Even when he is running, he doesn't feel particularly connected to the ground, he's always skating a little. Personally, i found it really offputting.

Anyone noticed how his clothes stretch and fold while he moves?:oops:

Yep. Really graphically and animation wise there's so much to talk about with this game...it's just a cut up above the rest. The texture layering, animation leyering, the amount of vegetation at a steady framerate, the lighting, the models, the water...I mean wow. I don't want to overhype it...but its just rather splendid isn't it by jove :p

Uncharted is going to be competing with Assasin's Creed and other high-profile titles.

They are advertising the hell out of AC now.

I can see a lot of people who might have gone for Uncharted buying into the AC hype (whether it's deserved or not).

I'm convinced a lot of people will buy both. They will keep selling, too. Uncharted may end up looking heaps better than AC though, I wouldn't be surprised.

Uncharted is going to be competing with Assasin's Creed and other high-profile titles.

They are advertising the hell out of AC now.

I can see a lot of people who might have gone for Uncharted buying into the AC hype (whether it's deserved or not).

uncharted looks like the better cinematic experience...plus it has guns. And is generally a shooter. I'd call it a shooter with platforming. AC is the big massive platformer...I'm buying both. Both excite me just as much as one another

Well in the US, it's going to be a pretty high-profile title, AC that is.

Imagine AC will be big in Europe too.

Well in the US, it's going to be a pretty high-profile title, AC that is.

Imagine AC will be big in Europe too.

And Uncharted isn't...I expect the advertising will start to get big soon. I can see AC selling much better in Europe than the states - it's just not the US type of game.

Yes, it's on a lot of people's radar already, AC. But Uncharted has shot up there for many people now too. That demo is doing it's job, my fellow non-forum going PS3ers are all talking to me about it.

I loved the demo but one thing stood out.... After the guys dead the bodys are non reactive. You can toss grenades and open fire on the dead bodies but nothing happens... They all the sudden no longer have blood? And no I'm not some sicko I found this out when I thought I seen the guy getting back up but when I shot nothing happened because he was bent over in like the air. Guess a glitch.

I loved the demo but one thing stood out.... After the guys dead the bodys are non reactive. You can toss grenades and open fire on the dead bodies but nothing happens... They all the sudden no longer have blood? And no I'm not some sicko I found this out when I thought I seen the guy getting back up but when I shot nothing happened because he was bent over in like the air. Guess a glitch.
The bodies react to drake...and they react to grenades. Not to guns, you're right. I think they look very eary dead on the ground though, first time I've experienced that in a game.

The bodies react to drake...and they react to grenades. Not to guns, you're right. I think they look very eary dead on the ground though, first time I've experienced that in a game.

Hmm like in Crysis, you can't shoot the dead bodies to move them but you can move them by other means (drive over with car, push them etc!). Maybe something to do with german laws (isn't naughty Dog located in Germany?).

I think the main problem with the animation system is that it isn't really aware of contact points.
As been said, transitions are very smooth and varied. In general highly responsive controls translate to animations quite well (beside maybe abrupt direction changes).

But I still feel like ND should have figured out geometry aware and physics guided animation long ago. I mean, if not ND who? (Please don't start Crysis talk if you don't have any details).

Uncharted animation Bug in demo

hi, i have discowered this bug. You can see it on my video on the time 1:35. Drake is totaly frozen and game still running.

I think, thet is blend problem between two animations.

here is my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srunnSmU1ug

* Friendly info from your neighbourhood mod - you have to wait to have first posts appear as we vet them to keep out spammers.
You can embed youtube vids by adding the value between
Vid nicely shows the new features I haven't seen before, specifically the foliage movements (Shifty).

But I still feel like ND should have figured out geometry aware and physics guided animation long ago. I mean, if not ND who? (Please don't start Crysis talk if you don't have any details).

Resistance has all that already ...

EDIT: I mean, what Nebula said. You can shoot a body in Resistance when it's dead and it will react and sometimes make it slide off something too. You can also hit it. Ragdoll physics in Resistance are very good and detailed, and bodies stay lying about for a long time too.

Resistance has all that already ...

EDIT: I mean, what Nebula said. You can shoot a body in Resistance when it's dead and it will react and sometimes make it slide off something too. You can also hit it. Ragdoll physics in Resistance are very good and detailed, and bodies stay lying about for a long time too.

I'm more interested in alive enemies.

That said, though ragdoll is trivial nowadays, Resistance's physics is quite interesting as bodies tend to land with dramatic postures. I haven't seen any other game that adapts ragdoll phyiscs so good.

Back