NPD July 2007

Wow, I am stunned that 360 actually beat PS3. Conventional wisdom was not expecting that at all.

I think a lot of our opinions (or maybe just mine) are becoming a bit too colored by vgchartz, who had been saying PS3 would top 360 in JUly all along.

Wii sales are amazing, Wii sales just depend on shipments, and I didn't see that large shipment in July coming, is all there is to that.

It was also thought by some that combined PS3/360 sales in July would beat Wii for the first time, and that this would signal the beginning of some sort of fading Wii trend. Well, once again that didn't happen, but it's probably getting closer.

Just eyeballing, I can see that week over week 360 sales actually saw another slight rise in July (same for June). 42,500 in July versus slightly under 40k in June (which recall was 5 week).

Also, NPD I believe added quite a few new sources, newegg.com, BJ's wholesale club, and about 5 other medium-small sized sources. Maybe it helped them be more accurate this month.

PS3 sales saw a week over week near doubling, from about 20k to 40k.

I'll probably do my week over week numbers post soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm convinced the people still buying so many ps2's are replacing their old ones. When will it die!?
Ps3 did well to get well above 100k. xb360 seems to be running out of steam. Wii is still doing it's market dominance thing.

I think there's a good number of people that never had them. My brother and a couple of friends who are pretty casual gamers are just picking them up now because they're dirt cheap and there's a huge library of dirt cheap titles. It's a good buy for someone that doesn't care about cutting edge.

I think a lot of our opinions (or maybe just mine) are becoming a bit too colored by vgchartz.

Sorry I've badly sword your post.

A lot of people consider VGchart to be reliable.
Expecially since Nintendo used their source to say that now the Wii is the market leader.

VG chart has a lot of echo on a lot of boards mainly because they shown beautiful graphs and they keep feeding the "console war".

I want to echo TheChefO talk, does somebody here keep track of sales figures :
In north america (US Canada) using only NPD as a source.
In Japan (trickier weekly numbers) using only mediacrate as a source.

For Europe we haven't public reliable data.

It should be nice to know and compare (even if I guess they correct theirs stats using more accurate datas) with VGchart estimations.

It's quiet important by the presentation VGchart seems to bias thing, feed fanboy war, and when they are to off they correct theirs estimations ==> trolls get fed to easily...

Edit I can't see the june number on IGN I'm not a member, could somebody leak them here?

Weekly sales rates comparisons June NPD vs July NPD:

June July %change

Wii: 76,400 106,250 +39.1%
DS: 112,380 101,250 -9.9%
PS2: 54,160 55,500 +2.5%
PSP: 58,020 53,500 -7.8%
360: 39,600 42,500 +7.3%
PS3: 19,700 39,750 +101.8%

the scary thing for sony/ms is
Looking at the Wii, GameStop said the consoles is still "selling out immediately" some 9 months after its debut. Company COO Dan DeMatteo said that "supply has ramped on a weekly basis throughout the quarter," and that the company was "getting a shipment every week," but based on the tentative schedule GameStop was provided by Nintendo, the Wii was "going to be short supply throughout the year."
we could even see 500k wiis next month!!!

all 3 consoles done better than i thought

explolate NPD for a year
xb360 9361060
wii 8433763.67
ps3 3752756

the scary thing for sony/ms is

we could even see 500k wiis next month!!!
Heh, I was at Ebgames waiting in line to buy my pre-ordered Bioshock when the sales clerk blurted out to the people in line "if you are looking for the Wii, we don't have any." He said he still get asked all day long.

Disappointing PS3 sales, I thought it would do at least 200k. The 360 will outsell it big time in Aug and prob the rest of this year.

Well if in august PS3 is still at 40 k a Week and 360 up to 80 k a week, Wii sales should fall no ?

I'm of the mind that Wii sales and the 'other' consoles sales are not mutually exclusive; frankly I don't see their rise as Wii's fall. Wii appeals on an entirely different level than those two.

Anyway, nice bump for PS3, and truthfully I think a strong performance by the 360 in a month that had some potentially rough news for the division... though the failure rate/warranty extension 'thing' may have ultimately helped rather than hurt in terms of sales. Along with the price-cut, HDMI, and the fade on last months news... it should be a good August.

I think another notable take-away is that fairly consistently now, the PSP seems to be coming into its own in the monthly figures.

Wii. What can you say that hasn't been said..... AMAZING!

360 I'm actually suprised that with a negative vibe during that month along with no games it did the figures it did.

PS3 good for the PS3 if you compare to itself. However, not being able to beat the 360 for just 1 month even after a $100 price drop has to be disappointing. I really thought it would cannibalize 360 sales since they compete in the same area of draw.

One thing we learned from all of this is that VGChartz is full of shit :)

I'm of the mind that Wii sales and the 'other' consoles sales are not mutually exclusive; frankly I don't see their rise as Wii's fall. Wii appeals on an entirely different level than those two.

Anyway, nice bump for PS3, and truthfully I think a strong performance by the 360 in a month that had some potentially rough news for the division... though the failure rate/warranty extension 'thing' may have ultimately helped rather than hurt in terms of sales. Along with the price-cut, HDMI, and the fade on last months news... it should be a good August.

I think another notable take-away is that fairly consistently now, the PSP seems to be coming into its own in the monthly figures.

Yep, if you add up PSP, PS2, and PS3, Sony still does pretty well for themselves.

PSP could be an awesome machine, if it comes into it's own which it will at about $99 imo. Handhelds have 10 year life cycle, (true 10yr life cycle, not pseudo life cycle aka when people claim PS2 has 10 yr cycle but really it only had about 6-7 of compelling software) so it has all the time in the world.

I'm curious about 360 sales next month. Just as this month was interesting for PS3 cut effects, next has 360's smaller cut effects. I've heard rumblings of doubled 360 sales. That sounds overly optimistic to me. If true, that'd be 340,000 next month which would be quite astounding. A more realistic 50% increase, which would be my guess, would yield ~250,000.

One thing that stands out as really solid about me to these 360 sales, is I've always expected a big temporary 360 bump whenever MS finally started shipping enough Elites to meet demand. Well, that happened in August, Elites are now in stock online everywhere, but it hadn't happened in July. So to do solid 360 sales without that bump is impressive in my eyes.

One thing we learned from all of this is that VGChartz is full of shit

Too me they're still a fun minor data point, without a lot of larger value, a lot like Amazon sales charts.

Sorry I've badly sword your post.

Expecially since Nintendo used their source to say that now the Wii is the market leader.

VG chart has a lot of echo on a lot of boards mainly because they shown beautiful graphs and they keep feeding the "console war".

Nintendo has the most to gain by quoting VGChartz. The site owner has a pretty much proven bias towards Nintendo, and when the charts are off, it's pretty much always overestimating Nintendo, while underestimating MS and Sony.

Besides that, Nintendo can quote anything they want and it doesn't matter. They're so far ahead that it doesn't matter if the numbers are off by 100,000 for a month. A high degree of accuracy in numbers is meaningless to the Nintendo marketting message.

If Sony or MS quoted them, I'd be a lot more impressed.

I also think that the PS3 had a nice bump. Sales are at least increasing.

That's what Sony said.

From a PlayStation perspective, coming out of E3 we were really anticipating a good reaction to our new hardware pricing announced on July 9th, and we were obviously very pleased to see that PS3 sales increased with 159K units sold at retail for the month of July, which puts us up 61% over June numbers.

From here

The problem I see for Sony is that June is probably going to be their best month of the year relative to the 360 (due to their price drop, and microsoft announcements) and they still didn't outsell the 360.

<edit >oops I meant to say July

That's what Sony said.

From here

The problem I see for Sony is that June is probably going to be their best month of the year relative to the 360 (due to their price drop, and microsoft announcements) and they still didn't outsell the 360.

Kind of unbelievable that Sony doesn't know the difference between a 5 (June) and 4 (July) week NPD month.

Their sales are actually up just over 100%, which they should be crowing about, as it's a nice round number, and exactly what they already told us.

They did this last month too, saying their sales were slightly up when on a weekly basis they were slightly down IIRC.

These numbers cause me to be slightly conflicted. A 100% boost in PS3 sales is excellent, but I am "surprised" that PS3 sales were not stronger--it didn't beat the 360 and in the big picture sales numbers are still very, very low. The price is simply too high; Sony can make it under $400 for the holiday to remain competitive. The GTAIV delay really hurts Sony and the prospects of big exclusives like Lair underwhelming is not good news. They still have Haze and Unreal Tournament 3, along with strong 3rd party support, but I don't think holiday 2007 is going to be very kind to Sony in relation to historical Playstation sales or relative to their current market competition. Sony needed a lot more from their "price cut" (which appears to be going back up, too), but it doesn't appear the Playstation faithful are waiting at $499. Sony needs to do something sooner than later.

The Wii is a monster. It has done much better than I ever thought it could in terms of off season sales. When you look at the software (imo, the lack thereof) and how Nintendo skirted around traditional hype and a large segment of hardcore gamers, their continues success, and insane product demand, continue to impress. Whether they are creating new customers, meeting traditional consumer unmet needs, and/or taking the entire industry in a new direction isn't really established imo, but whatever they are doing they are doing it really well. The Wii is trending very favorably toward PS2 like sales. As a "gamer" I don't understand it, but I can see "why" and the market demand doesn't lie. The Wii is clearly trending toward absolute market leadership and the competition is clearly trending toward 2nd fiddle in hardware sales. Wii software sales still raise some eyebrows (especially if I am a third party), but Nintendo should be sitting pretty with Mario, Metroid, and SSB for 2007. The only question for Nintendo is: Can you make 1M Wii's a month?

MS cannot seem to do much right: continued missed sales forcasts, process delays, multiple hardware failtures, contracted parties sueing eachother, E3 mismanagement, GTA delays, Peter Moore vacating. They cannot even muster a proper price drop after 2 years. They cannot stop leaks and don't appear to manage announcements well, far too often doing poor damage control instead of being proactive in announcements (e.g. HDD requirements). A lot of little things adding up don't bode well for MS.

Most damning being the Xbox 360 continues to trend toward Xbox sales.

MS totally mismanaged 2007. There should have been a price cut in March. This would have generated significant spring & summer sales, traditionally slower times, and kept a flow of consoles going through the channels. They cannot magically "make up" these sales in the holidays because the distribution channels and demand will be pretty high. MS really missed out--and they can blame no one but themselves and their poor handling of the RROD. Their mismanagement of that situation not only harmed them, but also the dev houses pushing "next gen" CPU/GPU oriented software.

But there are two silver linings for MS. First, from the sales data, notice how the 360 version NCAA 2008 is #1 in sales. It is notable because it not only lead all sales, but because it also outpaced the PS2 version significantly (397k versus 236K--68% increase on the 360). This is really important. PS2 sales continue to do better than the Xbox 360, and the PS2 has a 10 fold (more!) install base lead. Yet the Xbox 360 version sold a lot better. Hardware sales on the Xbox 360 continue to lag at historical Xbox levels, but the software is doing really well.

And that is where I think MS's other silver lining is: software. They clearly have the best fall lineup. The flow of games kicked off with NCAA/Madden and won't slow down now that Bioshock is out. The momentum MS will receive from having the best version of Madden (a huge NA title), followed by the amazing press that Bioshock has generated is going to rush right into Halo 3 next month. Bungie has noted there are a lot of Halo 2 players still on the Xbox, so there are still more consumers for MS to tap.

I don't think Xbox 360 hardware has sold well at all in 2007 (duh) but with next gen gaming finally getting a steady flow of games, the gradual reduction in unit retail prices, and platform defining games I think 360 sales will (finally?) pick up. A large degree of this will be related to Sony's pricing structure and release strategy. I think fall 2007 is where MS finally convinces a lot of fence sitters to "jump in".

But can they meet demand? 65nm delays, production woes, RROD, repair overload...

Looking forward is difficult because there are so many variables. I think the Wii could have ran completely away with better production abilities. They still may. MS won't be really competitive to the sales trends they initially wanted until they get the Core under $200 and the Pro at $299. MS is doing a poor job of creating a large enough install base to support next gen development for the industry. MS's future continues to be in their own hands... and to some degree next gen gaming. And looking forward for Sony I don't see rosy things. I think this holiday will be horrible and the momentum Nintendo and MS gain from software and the resulting software sales is going to shift substantial publisher support away from Sony. The Panasonic news on BDR support further muddies the issue for Sony.

I could be wrong on a lot of this, but whatever happens in late 2007 and into 2008, notably publisher profits, will directly impact how Sony, MS, and Nintendo fashion their G4 3D consoles which are at this point definately on the drawing boards.

Not a lot of people. Just fanboys on forums with not enough brain to wait for an official source. I guess patcher will stop using them as a source next month. :devilish:

Most damning being the Xbox 360 continues to trend toward Xbox sales.

This is not generally true. I have the NPD for every month.

Basically, versus Xbox, 360 was put at a huge disadvantage because it was supply constrained it's first holiday, whereas Xbox 1 was not. After the first two months for each console, Xbox 1 was ahead by 814,000 consoles.

Ever since then, comparing respective months, 360 has won almost every month (compared to same month in Xbox 1's life cycle) in a sales comp with Xbox 1 by varying amounts. In 19 months since those first two, 360 has made back that 814k deficit and now leads the Xbox by 239,000.

So basically in 19 months of NPD since the first two, 360 has outsold Xbox by 1.05 million units. In fact of those 19 months, 360 has won the comparison 17 times. Including for example, the last 9 months.

The most recent example, 360 sold 170,000 this month. In July 03, Xbox sold 138,000. So 360 gained another 32,000 this month. Again, that is the norm, 17 out of 19 months. Most recent months, the 360 has gained about on average 30k+ a month on Xbox or so. Sometimes more.

August 03 Xbox 1 sold 146,000. So 360 if the price drop has a big effect could beat that by 100,000 easily.

The comparisons seem to get tougher going forward though, (after a weak August and Sep) if only because Xbox 1 sold it's best in 2004, (equivalent to 360's 08) about 200,000 a month. You'll recall that was the high point of Xbox, when Halo 2 came out. So far 360 hasn't been able to consistently do 200k a month for the last 5 months, (before then, 360 always did over 200k a month easily) basically since the Wii and PS3 came on board. Then again, 360 hit 199 and 198k 2 of those 5 months.

Still, 360 is about to gain some strength itself going forward, with the price cut and a strong lineup, and a consistent increase in 360 sales is very possible. It's week over week sales as shown have actually upticked slightly the last two months.

The comparison will get really easy for 360 beginning about April 09 though. That is when Xbox 1 sales permantly dropped to 150k and below levels because of 360 being announced and rumored and Xbox production cuts. If 360 is still alive and kicking well by that point, it will have a huge amount of gravy comparison ahead of it on the back end. For example, in December 05 Xbox 1 had sold just 400,000 or so consoles. So if 360's succesor hasn't been anounced by December 09, and I strongly believe it wont be, 360 will be able to absolutely kill that number, by 600,000 or more. Possibly much more if 360 is truly mainstream by then, but that's a lot of speculation.

I do see what you're saying though. While 360 has very consistently outsold Xbox 1, and at a much higher price, +1 million in the last 19 months probably doesn't blow anybody's doors off. It's a pace to beat Xbox in 4 years of lifecycle by 2-3 million, nice but not the kind of numbers MS would certainly hope for.

But there's just so much about 360 yet to be decided, how mainstream it will become and how long MS will support it. Xbox 1 ended up at ~14.5 million NPD, and 360 right now is at about 5.9.

Back