Microsoft hardware 'recall' - Steering wheel

I know it's tempting to do otherwise, but please keep this thread on topic, civil and constructive.
You know, karma and all. You don't want to temp fate.

Microsoft really haven't seem to have mastered the basics of thermal properties in their hardware designs yet! Bless.

Probably explains why mine died and my friends was DOA...
Just make sure you unplug the A/C adapter when your not using it.

I wonder if i need the receipt for a recall (it's only a US recall now :( )

Hm... anyone have the specs for the AC/DC adapter they're using? I wonder if they don't have a separate power feed/circuit for the batteries and the AC/DC line that powers the force feedback exclusively. It could be a simple resistor overload.

This seems strange.. I've not heard any complaints at all about the sterering wheel and now they're recalling them?

Granted..the wheel might not be the most popular of peripherals but nobofdy's ever mentioned it getting warm - to my knowledge at least.

Is it just some wheels or something that truly is universal?
Peace.

This seems strange.. I've not heard any complaints at all about the sterering wheel and now they're recalling them?

Granted..the wheel might not be the most popular of peripherals but nobofdy's ever mentioned it getting warm - to my knowledge at least.

Is it just some wheels or something that truly is universal?
Peace.

Maybe MS has learn from their past mistakes and now being a little bit more proactive.

The announcement is the wheel overheats when the PSU is used. No mention of some wheels. The advice is for all wheels too and not just a batch with a certain serial number. I guess following multiple reports of smoke, they've tracked it down to a dodgy component used throughout and so are doing a total fix. The failure rate will likely be like Sony's batteries. Chances of it happening are small, but someone somewhere thinks it's enough of a risk that they're doing a recall.

They should just market it like its force feedback or something. Light up your tires and get the real sensation of smoke, push it too hard and it will burst into flames!!!!!

I know a lot of hardcore Forza 2 people do not like the steering wheel and opt for the gamepad instead. I dont recall why (maybe some of the hardcore can chime in here) but I wonder if they'll be addressing that (dead zone or whatever) as well.

Strangely enough I have only had minor problems with mine. The timely "dead wheel" where all the feedback disappears for about 5 seconds, and it can do something wildly strange at times. Such as the telemetry popping up during a race without me coming anywhere near the d-pad. Little things like that.

I'm torn. That game right now is my real source of entertainment/stress relief and I just started law school. If I send it in, and I have been without it for the better parts of two months already with the move and all, who knows when I get it back and if I would return to Forza2 at all at that point. On the other hand, maybe the whole thing gets repaired to boot.

decisions, decisions, decisions

3 months later, MS have sent a box for my mate to pack up his steering wheel for a fix. Must be the slowest hardware recall in history! As there's been no reports of accidents (that I've heard anyway) could MS have called this prematurely, and now begrudgingly are having to receive wheels that don't really need anything done to them because they said they would? :???:

I called mine in shortly after the initial announcement. They told me they were just going to ship me a new PS. I have noe heard from them since and no sign of my new component.

-note: that dead zone and the telemetry thing are damned annoying at just the wrong moment

Back