Folklore demo.

Folklore @ Gamedaily 4

Folklore is one of 2007's biggest disappointments. A PlayStation 3 game that at first seemed promising, but explodes in a fiery wreck, thanks to annoying dialogue, bizarre comic book style cut scenes and drab game play.

I'm suprise the metacritic score is hovering around 70 with these reviews.

Folklore @ Gamedaily 4

I'm suprise the metacritic score is hovering around 70 with these reviews.

:LOL: Sounds like the comic book style dialogue and the linear corridors drove them to the wall. They didn't bother me as much, but I can see why they are disappointed.

EDIT:
GameRadar: 8/10 (http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/ga...88&sectionId=1000&pageId=20070925171854786003)
GameRevolution: 7/10 (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=812024)

Not too shabby !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yap... apparently some reviewers mark down the game because of the comic book presentation and the need to repeat the game using a second character. Many people are willing to look past these. In fact according to gamerankings.com, the reviews that came out last 2 days did wonderfully:

10/8
GamerNode: 8.5
GamingTrend: 8.3
GameSpy: 9.0

10/9
UnderGroundOnline: 8.5
GamePro: 9.0

I am happy these reviewers give credit for the game's originality and funness (Finally, some good SIXAXIS vibes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening, gents. I've had the game since it came out and I've been chipping away at a steady pace. It's a very good game. I want to help those of you who are on the fence about purchasing the game. I can't say, "EVERYBODY BUY IT"(uhheveryday-_-shooteryeah), because Folklore is not for everyone. Some people will hate it. I can give more detailed impressions later when I get some time. Now, I can only offer you this:

1st Q=Do you find Folklore's imagery and setting "kinda girly", or more girlier than kinda? 2nd Q=Have you played thru, and enjoyed, a few "kinda girly" or perhaps "hella girlie" games in your career?

If you anwered Yes to "1st Q" and No to "2nd Q" then I can't reccomend you go out of your way to get this game.

If you answered Yes to both, then I think this game is worth a try. Go ahead and take a chance on it. I did. And now Im playing one of the best character action games I've played in a long time. Or hang on for more detailed impressions later.

If you answered No to 1Q then ur kinda girly.

Yes, Folklore is a game with soul :)
The art style and music are quite effective in bringing out the mood of the game.
The fights are engaging too. There are some quirks but they can't overshadow the best parts of Folklore.

This game and Everyday Shooter turn out to be very unique and fun. For some reason, they brought back good memories about my younger gaming days.
PS3 owners should take a look at both of them.

Crayon, did you check out the map builder ? I heard one is available but I have not tried it yet.

Crayon, did you check out the map builder ? I heard one is available but I have not tried it yet.

No, sorry, I havn't. The game proper is totally engrossing and I've spent all my time with the game just playing.

I'd be suprized if it's anything amazing tho. The environments, while heartbreakingly pretty, are throback in terms of interactivity and variety. Aways something new to look at... but there are no elevation changes for example. It's basic "dungeon crawl" layout in terms of level design. I find them fun to explore, but they lack the texture of something like the cohesive geography of most big adventure games post-Ocarina.

The game is actually more dungeon crawl than anything. The folks are numerous and new ones are introduced often. They fill the gameplay role of normal dungeon crawl "loot" but with a unique and worthwile implementation.

Likewise, the story is more eastern rpg style. Linear chunks of non-interactive narrative. IMO, this is one of the better stories I've seen told in a game. No save- the-world melodrama. A story about people dying and their afterlife in memories.

This is very much a game about repetion and collecting. A bit old school. Think of the gba/ds castlevania games and the way they have "old" gameplay groomed with all the niceties of a polished contemporary game.

If you do stuff like 99 Nights DMC and raking thru waves of familiar enemies still floats your boat (many gamers have "moved on". poor soulless bastards) then you should like this alot.

Agree with everything Crayon said above, especially the reference to old school gameplay. :) No wonder I find the game nostalgic.

Likewise, the story is more eastern rpg style. Linear chunks of non-interactive narrative. IMO, this is one of the better stories I've seen told in a game. No save- the-world melodrama. A story about people dying and their afterlife in memories.

Yes ! I thought the game was a shallow collection of dungeon fights, but now I need to solve the mystery of her mother's death too. It's a little more involving than I thought (I kinda bite off a little more than I can chew). ;-)

Glad someone is listening, patsu!

I am trying to get outside and ride my mountain bike ... because I live in California, which is just like it is on tv, sunny and crawling with mountain bikes and fast women... but I thought of a really solid test to tell if you will like this game.

If you liked Lost Planet, you will like Folklore.

Two very different games. It would take to long to explain, but I'm confident that the above holds true.
The end.

Heh heh... Sony is listening too. They have announced a sweepstake for Folklore:
http://fp.scea.com/Content/events/293/info/QAndA_questions.pdf

You need to play the demo to know the answers. The price is a copy of the limited edition Folklore art book. Ends on November 2nd.

Bu..bu.. but, why is this thing not consolidated/posted on the official Playstation blog ?

EDIT: Ok... it's on the Playstation site itself: http://www.us.playstation.com/EP/Promotions/293?DCMP=ILC-RSS-Events
but the blog should flag it out too.

folklore_sh_en_artbook.jpg

Sony should do some rah-rah for other worthy titles also (like R&C, Uncharted, ...)

This is something Sony needs in a messaging service, so when you switch PS3 on it informs you of what's happening in the world of PlayStation (all consoles would benefit with this, of course! Wii has it's notes already). It's probably something you'll get in Home, but if people have to wander around hoping to find something interesting, I doubt there'll be many takers.

Excellent suggestion. PSP has RSS capability (I can't remember whether PS3 has one yet). If so, Sony should include promotions/news via RSS by default and have an option to pop-up new RSS entries in XMB. The content should be HTML page for viewing by any PC and also in PS Home's HTML surfaces.

I finally beat the game, yet I still have no idea what Netherworld is.

(Don't read the rest if you haven't finished the game).

Does anybody know
how real is Netherworld (the Lulu aspect)?
or Keats who was clearly created by Ellen, yet seems to interact with ordinary humans? He was first referred to as Guardian, and Scarecrow could travel between realms freely without a memento unlike Keats.

ps: Looking at the sales, I don't expect anyone else to finish the game here, but quite an interesting experience overall. Hopefully a cult following will be enough for a sequel.

Heh, I saw you playing Folklore on XMB more than a few times. How long is the entire game ? I have not finished it yet, but am determined to.

Heh, I saw you playing Folklore on XMB more than a few times.
Yeah, I have been catching up on the games I wanted to see, and didn't have time before.
How long is the entire game ? I have not finished it yet, but am determined to.
Not sure as I didn't measure.
It was pretty long (15-20 hours?) but I played alternating between Ellen and Keats. Keats took much less time though since I was familiar with most of the levels and in general Keats seemed more powerful to me.

And it took long for me to figure out rock paper scissor system (besides the boss battles), and ability to mix different soul attacks successively. So I end up spending more time in the first 2.5 realms than the rest.

I don't know which chapter you are in, but I found the first two chapters quite boring and dialogs in those were pitiful. Thankfully story ended up being very deep and even thought provoking to some extend.

Music was just awesome and overall game was bleeding creativity every second.

Kudos to being able to finish this game.

What a slow, lethargic, boring title.

All the cut scenes are text/comic book style. There are way to many loading scenes between areas EVEN with the install of the additional data. I willed myself to play longer. I kept telling myself it will get more fun as I get more ids.

I can't come up with a single positive thing about this game, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Back