Henri Richard to leave AMD, HEXUS report

BrynS

Regular
Hexus is reporting that Henri Richard has resigned:
Hexus said:
Our exclusive revelation that AMD's marketing leader - and Hector Ruiz's right-hand man - is to leave comes soon after the departure from AMD of former ATI CEO Dave Orton.

At the time that it purchased ATi, AMD had over $2bn in the bank and was (on paper at least) almost three times bigger than graphics giant - which had been regularly banging in quarterly results in the region of $650M.

Unfortunately, since the merger, AMD has struggled to get past $1.3Bn - strongly indicating that ATI is, quite possibly, now delivering half of AMD's revenue.
[...]

That's actually OT, since Richard is not ex-ATI.

Even so, :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm more shocked by that than if Hector and Dirk were forced to resign by the board. My impression has been that Richard is really the guy that gets stuff done around there.

My impression has been that Richard is really the guy that gets stuff done around there.
Well his job being to "gets stuff done around there" and the fact that they really haven't gotten much done lately well might go a long way to explaining his "retirement".

Actually, "scapegoat" was the phrase that came to mind. YMMV. But if you're saying that everything will be bright and rosy now that he's gone, well glad to hear it.

It'll be interesting to see how this is spun by AMD, e.g. 'amicable move', 'Henri's pursuiing his own interests/wants to spend more time with the family/etc' or whether it'll be more telling in its ambiquity/lack of detail or praise.

The timing of Orton's resignation and now Richard's could suggest that they want to appease those calling for change at the highest level, while not appearing panicked by changing a number of high-profile appointments within a very short space of time or all at once.

The timing of Orton's resignation and now Richard's could suggest that they want to appease those calling for change at the highest level, while not appearing panicked by changing a number of high-profile appointments within a very short space of time or all at once.
I don't think Orton & Richard's resignation are connected at all.

Didn't you notice the timing of Orton's resignation? One year almost to the day of AMD's take over of ATi...

I think Orton's resignation was planned/agreed on in a year as part of the buy-out plan. I think Richard's "resignation" could be for some of the batshit crazy statements he's been making. :???:

I am with Digi... Henri's dabbling in PR since the merger has been either an embarrassing disaster or disastrous embarrassment. He must count his lucky stars that the company didn't get hit with multiple class action suits because of him.

Yeah, I'd go along with the thought that Orton could have potentially specified only staying on for 12 months or so as a small proviso for the deal last year and can appreciate the stated reasoning (logistics, impact on family, etc) for his resignation.

I think that it may link in with the timing of Richard's resignation only in that as much as AMD probably would have wanted to avoid any high-level resignations over the past six months, as their bottom line and stated execution targets have increasingly been battered, the pressure for a senior scalp goes up -- if Orton's decision was made last year it may have made the timing of another senior resignation awkward less they risk a 2-for-1 discharge which could appear worse.

Perhaps Richard has caused too much friction of late or actually just wants to move on; if so, bad timing I'd say -- wouldn't it be better to leave just after the Barcelona launch, not just before it?

Alternate theory: If you're going to try for a coup, then your prepartory moves will include trying to strip away the Leader's supporters in key positions ahead of time. Isolate him first.

Alternate theory: If you're going to try for a coup, then your prepartory moves will include trying to strip away the Leader's supporters in key positions ahead of time. Isolate him first.

Are you hinting at a straight take-over by an "outside force" ? ;)
Or is it a classic inside job ?

According to the Wall Street Journal he is leaving to take another job. That's a pretty good indication he wasn't forced out. And considering AMD's problems are cross-functional, if the board was looking for blood and had much sense they would probably look at the man at the helm. Not necessarily deploring Ruiz, just saying that would be a logical starting point if the board felt the company was being mismanaged.

AMD don't seem to be worried about losing quite a lot of talented people. Are Intel still hiring for the GFX team? They could get some really talented people at the moment and I should imagine they need them.

What would you expect to happen? A statement from Richard blasting internal enemies, etc? C'mon, that's not the way the game is played at that level.

Boards don't switch all at once, usually. At this point I think there's a very good chance that Hector will be gone by the end of the year, and either the CFO or Meyer will be acting head of the company (tho of course Meyer might go at the same time). If you asked me when this would be most likely to happen, I'd say right around 3Q results time.

Unless the Barcelona launch and reception is much stronger than the sense I'm getting from most people who follow this stuff.

I'm with you too, geo, but not about Meyer.

:runaway:

Nothing to do with his work ethic, he just seems a bit soft for executive positioning. I like him better as engineer...

[H] has the word -literally :D- on the internal memo:

Richard to Leave AMD Confirmed

TO: All Employees

FROM: Hector Ruiz, AMD Chairman and CEO - Dirk Meyer, AMD President and COO

SUBJECT: Henri Richard

We are sad to announce that Henri Richard has made the decision to leave AMD.

When Henri joined AMD in 2002, his primary mission was to establish a world-class global Sales and Marketing organization. It is safe to say that he has accomplished that mission, and he is now ready for a new challenge in his career. While we will certainly miss him, it’s a measure of his success that the organization he leaves behind is fully poised to succeed and capable of maintaining and building the momentum that we have built.

In the last five years, we have increased exponentially our global account footprint, acquiring customers of every caliber, including the top PC and server OEMs around the world. In fact, from Toshiba and Acer to Lenovo, Dell, Sun and HP, we have become a critical strategic partner to our customers and a key component of enterprise solutions and consumer products worldwide.

Commensurate with this growth in our business, and the strength of our corporate and product brands, we have a Sales and Marketing organization that can support and continue to grow our strategic importance to our customers. Nevertheless, we know this was a difficult decision for Henri, especially as we are poised to enjoy the successes of our acquisition of ATI, our upcoming quad-core Barcelona product and our strong product and technology roadmaps.

Henri’s official departure date is still pending, and we will communicate a leadership plan shortly.

Look for a Q&A with Henri to appear on AMD Online in the next day or two. Henri will discuss AMD’s accomplishments over the last five years, and our phenomenal opportunities moving forward.

Please join us in thanking Henri for his leadership and wishing him well in his post-AMD career.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=Mjc2NDgsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

I'm with you too, geo, but not about Meyer.

:runaway:

Nothing to do with his work ethic, he just seems a bit soft for executive positioning. I like him better as engineer...

Rivet would be my favorite as well, at least "interim". Flinty-eyed financial sensibility, but still knows the business well. Then he makes the tough decisions and a new CEO gets to be the white knight.

AMD Press Release
AMD said:
[...]
“After 20 years in the PC industry – and five of the most professionally rewarding years here at AMD – I have decided to make a move to a different business segment,â€￾ Mr. Richard said. “I am leaving AMD at a time when the company is in position to break the monopoly that plagues this industry. I am immensely proud of my contribution to AMD, and in particular, of the strong team I leave behind.â€￾
[...]

Back