*Top 10 console games of all time *

Consoles only... Here goes nothing.

No order. And one of these games is an excellent port of a very PC-centric game. It's so good, I had to cheat a bit. Few arcade ports as well. I am only referring to the versions of the games on the noted platforms.

___

Zone of the Enders 2 (PS2)

Final Fantasy 6 (SNES)

Ikaruga (DC/GC)

X-Com (PS1)

Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Nights (Saturn)

Super Mario 64 (N64)

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (DC/PS2/XBox)

Shinobi 3 (Genesis)

Yoshi's Island (SNES/GBA)

Of course, all these pathetic jokes are saved from humiliation by the "console only" limitation. Otherwise they would be trampled by the mother of all games:

Eight Player Deluxe Cabinet Daytona USA

This list is beyond shaky, btw. It will be different nex week, and the week after that.

Dude, are all of those from the last 5 years? :|

What about The Revenge of Shinobi, Duck Hunt, Metroid? Hell, or Adventure? Those were pretty incredible at the time too.

Pong. :yep2:

Hey, you never forget your first love, and if the 16 year olds are going to pretend nothing existing before 1999 then us'n old farts must strike back.

Oh, and that little handheld football game with the 9 yard markers. That rocked. http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Mattel/FB.htm

NiGHTS
Halo: CE
Shenmue
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic (MD)
Alex Kid in Miracle World (SMS)
Skies of Arcadia
Super Mario 64
Tomb Raider
Videomaster Colourscore (pong console)

Only consoles, so I suppose Amiga, Atari ST and MSX don’t count ?

My top ten

Gran turismo 2 (PSX)
Metal gear solid (PSX)
Air combat (PSX)
Tekken 2 (PSX)
Final Fantasy VI till IX(SNES and PSX) yeah i cheated :p
Chrono trigger (SNES)
Shadow of colossus(PS2)
Snatcher(SCD)
Vectorman (GEN)
Comix zone (GEN)

Honourable mentions in no particular order

Super Thunder Blade (GEN)
Parasite Eve 2 (PSX)
Tomb Raider 2 (PSX)
Zone of the Enders 2 (PS2)
Silent Hill (PS2)
Batman & Robin (GEN)
Robocop VS Terminator (GEN)
Lost Vikings (SNES)
Castlevania SotN (PSX)
Sunset Riders (SNES)
Dino Crisis (PSX)
Destruction Derby (PSX)
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee (PSX)
Driver 2 (PSX)
Legend of Dragoon (PSX)
Battle Arena Toshinden 3 (PSX)
OverBlood (PSX)
Street Fighter 2 (SNES)
Intelligent Qube (PSX)
Jumping flash (PSX)
Syphon Filter (PSX)
Syphon Filter 2 (PSX)
Tekken 3 (PSX)
Fear Effect (PSX)
In cold Blood (PSX)
Tekken 3 (PSX)
Fighting Force (PSX)
Golden Eye (N64)
Super Smash Bros (N64)
Yakuza (ps2)
Munch's Oddysee (Xbox)
Devil May Cry (PS2)
Vib Ribbon ( PSX )
Golden Axe (GEN)
Streets of Rage 2 ( GEN )

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 10

1 - Shenmue I & II Dreamcast
2 - Halo Triology Xbox/X360
3 - Mass Effect X360
4 - Soul Reaver II Ps2
5 - Quake III Arena Dreamcast/PC
6 - Metal Gear Solid series Ps/ps2/xbox
7 - King of Fighters 97 Saturn/Arcade
8 - Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica Saturn/Dreamcast
9 - Chronicles of Riddick escape from butcher bay Xbox/PC
10 - Original Command and Conquer Saturn/psx/pc

This is so hard to chose I'm missing so many games for sure the only one's I have no doubt about are the top 5

Top10 (in no specific order)

1. GT3
2. Halo Triology
3. Forza 2
4. Need 4 Speed 3
5. Counter Strike
6. BF2
7. Super Mario World
8. Warcraft III
9. CoD4 (the perfect mix of Counter Strike and BF2 todate!)
10. Mass Effect

Castelvania
Super Mario
Contra
Final Fantasy
Ninja Gaiden
Shawdow Gate <--Tecmo Bowl edit: forgot about Tecmo Bowl
GeOW
Warhawk
Street Fighter 2
Metal Gear

I'm going all time with this one!! No real order.

Super Mario series. 3 is my absolute favorite!
Resident Evil series as a whole
Xbox Ninja Gaiden
Shenmue
Soulcalibur 2
Legend of Zelda (all of them but my fave is Link to the Past)
Final Fantasy 7
Virtua Fighter series minus part 3 Team Battle
M'n'f'n Guitar Hero
Panzer Dragoon

God of War 2 and DMC 4 could be up there as well but they are too new for an all time list. Also I'd say Animal Crossing if it didn't make me feel like a girl.

Bearing in mind there are tons of well liked games I've never played, such as Forza, Guitar Hero, etc...

1. Goldeneye
2. Mario64
3. Gran Turismo
4. Tony Hawks
5. Mario Kart
6. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
7. Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition
8. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
9. Resident Evil
10. Tekken

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Super Mario 3
4. The Guardian Legend
5. Super Mario 64
6. Star Raiders
7. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
8. Legend of Zelda: TooT
9. Mass Effect
10. Final Fantasy XII

My top 10 (no particular order)

1. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - I killed hours and hours on this game.
2. Super Mario Bros (NES)
3. Legend of Zelda: LttP (SNES)
4. Prince of Persia: SoT (GC)
5. Tales of Symphonia (GC) - A nearly perfect JRPG, even if not entirely original.
6. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
7. Street Fighter II: Turbo (SNES)
8. Combat (2600) - The ultimate console deathmatch experience.
9. Resident Evil 4 (GC)
10. Metroid Prime (GC)

It's biased toward Nintendo because I never played much Sega or Playstation. Well, I played some Dreamcast, but nothing on that system really grabbed me.

In no particular order

Street Fighter 2 or 3
Resident Evil 1 or 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Sonic 2
Shadow of Colossus
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Final Fight
Final Fantasy 7
Gran Turismo 4
Devil May Cry

Havent found any game on XBOX, 360, Wii or PS3 that makes me go "ga ga" or had any kind of impact in me. That includes the critically acclaimed GoW and Bioshock which I own on PC

The first Legacy of Kain was also one of my favorites

You mean soul reaver? I loved that game. To bad that when I played it I was to stupid to complete it. I remember trying later with a guide but I never finished it. Maybe I should dig up the disc and try again. Though I dont think it did well against the tooth of time.

My top10, If I come to ten as I didnt own much consoles, in random order.

Legacy of Kain: soul reaver (pc): Because vampires just kick ass and the music was freaking awsome. Modern games should spend a little less on gfx and spend more in greating moody music, that will do alot more than a few extra high res textures.

Mariokart (snes): Still fun if you play it today. Just one of those games that is very hard to get bored with.

Contact (DS): Lots of people though it was dumb and it didnt get such good grades but for some reason this game appealed to me alot. I even finished it, something I dont do with alot of games.

Half-life (pc): Because its half-life and therefore will be good even 10 years from now. I'm actually playing it again. Quadcore cpu's seems to bog the engine a bit but still great. Shows design and creating atmosphere beat trowing out tons of special effects and high poly models.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (DS) Maybe not great, but certainly great fun no matter what. Male cheerleaders and Japanese pop music. How can one not be greatfull for having Japan on this planet?

Donkey kong country (snes): I got this game when my parents bought me a snes. Exept for atari 2600 (my dad had one with the wood on it) games this is the first ''modern'' game I played in my house and I just loved it. I remember almost crying when you got the image when you were game over. I must have spend atleast a million hours playing this game and managed to get 98% complete at witch point I started jumping in every hole just to see if it had a hidden barrel. Never got to a 100% as a brother of a friend deleted the save file after telling him very carfully not to delete that one. For the rest just a very awsome game, certainly given the time it came out. Mindblowing what you could do with the snes hardware. To bad it didnt stand time well as I bought it at the wiistore and finished it after 4.5 hours hardly being impressed anymore. Still, it deservs its place in time.

Resident evil 4 (Wii): Awsome in every aspect. Not a single part of the game looks like it was done quick, everything looks very polished and well designed. I didnt got bored with this one second which says alot as I get bored fairly quickly with games.

Dungeon keeper (pc): I remember spending hours and hours on this game at a friends house on his IBM pc (must have been 166mhz or so). He bought it from his birthday money he got. We never finished it though because we couldnt clear a certain level. I didnt even had a pc at this time.

Driver 1 (pc): I got this one for my birthday. One of the few as this was 70 gulden at the time unlike the other new games that all were 100 gulden and too expensive. I wanted it after seeing a gaming show on tv and I loved it (though I was very angry at the beginning as I couldnt clear those trials at the start). Bought it again a couple of years later but it wasnt much fun anymore. Still, awsome fun at its time. Atleast for me.

Max payne 2 (pc): Liked it, liked it, liked it. Good gfx but most of all a really great story and alot of atmosphere. You dont see that alot in games but this was just awsome. I hope there one day will be a mp3 that will be just as good only in a modern package.

I think I had 10 now :)

In no particular order

The Orange Box
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
ICO
Halo
Tekken 3
NHLPA 93
Soul Reaver
Resident Evil 2

Honourable Mentions......Or rather those that would be in my top 20

Uncharted
Mass Effect
Resident Evil 4
KOTOR
Streets of Rage
Super Metroid
Shadow Of the Collosus
Super Mario World
Flashback
Mario 64

And from a PC Point of View

DOOM
X-Wing
TIE Fighter
Dark Forces
Championship Manager/Footy Manager

If I had to place them in order it would be a mash up of those 25.

Back