Cross Platform Play Confirmed Between PS3 and PC on UE3

I don't believe the XNA docs have anything to do with the commercial, full-disc games being released at this point.

Too bad, this was a game I was slightly interested in.

Due to it being cross playable with m/kb it would probably mean nausea city for me. This was the same reason I could never even stomach past shooters and got into the FPS soo late in my years.

Halo was the first FPS I was able to finish followed by Doom 3 on the XBox. Even then, I had to turn the sensitivity down on the pad. I can't play Lost Planet for more than a couple of hours although GeOW doesn't give me any problems.

I know this sounds kinda selfish, but I hope the DON'T include cross-platform play on it when it arrives to the X360. I'll have to give the (hopeful) demo a go before deciding though.

BTW, did any of the past UT games have good stories?

BTW, did any of the past UT games have good stories?

Unreal and the Return To Na Pali expansion pack had very good stories. The narrative was not just told in the form or diaries/logbooks, you also felt that the narrative was furthered by the things you saw and places you went. You played the storyline, rather than just being told stuff as you went around killing everything. You advanced the story by advancing in the game.

Unreal 2 was much less successful in this regard although it attempted a somewhat disjointed storyline.

UT/UT2K3/4 really just had a single player that consisted of an offline ladder tournament against bots that was really just good to give you a primer on the gameplay before going online against other players.

Personally I think that if the console players get some form of autoaim, the PC players will scream "cheat", and without it the mouse/keyboard players will slaughter the console players. There's a reason the mouse/keyboard combination has long been the choice of control in this kind of game - it's far, far away the most accurate and fast input method.

Sure, in the single player game you can have less enemies, slow them down, give some assisted aiming like in Halo, but in an online game where speed and accuracy is a massive advantage, the m/k is king. Even if you include large area weapons like UT's redeemer, good players will be able to shoot it down a lot of the time, and hyper-accurate hitscan weapons like the shock, sniper, lightning gun, enforcer, will dominate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, so the story for was driven similar to Halo. It was was one of the really engaging things I liked about the game. Cut scenes in my opinion were really minimal. Cortana was the tool that advanced the story for me.

Accuracy is definitely not my forte. I'm still no good with the Sniper in the Halos and I hated the Snipers and Shotty level in the Beta:oops:

This may not be the game for me as I'm more of panic shooter. I will keep an open mind, but with the plethora of games this year and next and the possibility of picking another now-gen system, I won't be missing out on too much (I hope). I hope Epic puts out a demo!

Thanks, this may not be the game for me as I'm more of panic shooter. I will keep an open mind, but with the plethora of games this year and next and the possibility of picking another now-gen system, I won't be missing out on too much (I hope).

Accuracy is definitely not my forte. I'm still no good with the Sniper in the Halos and I hated the Snipers and Shotty level in the Beta:oops:

Don't forget that UT games are more than just deathmatch. In team games like CTF/VCTF/Onslaught and the new Conquest, there will be opportunities to fight from vehicles and turrets, to play the part of defence, support or engineer roles (without the defined classes that a lot of other FPSes have). Epic supposedly have also got a proper single player game attached to UT3, rather than just an offline ladder tournament, but I don't really know any details above that.

Having said all that, I expect UT3 to be at it's core a FPS shooter, and although I always considered it to be a somewhat slower and more tactical game than (say) Quake 3's fast and furious kill-fests, if you don't enjoy the basics of a combat focussed FPS, I don't see how you'll enjoy UT3 online with the hardcore competitive players you'll find there.

A lot of people play offline just because it's an easier and less competitive environment, and thus more enjoyable for those who don't want to play against heavily competitive players.

"Slower and more tactical"? That sounds like a game that I could get into:D

The quick twitch, turn, jump combinations are a little too much for my nausea prone body to handle. It's one of the reasons I usually finish in the middle of the pack on Halo 2 on Live. Weird that held my own or actually ended up winning a few matches in the Halo 3 Beta.

I guess I keep this on my "wait and see" list till it's out or a demo releases. I've never played an Epic game till Gears. I both Love and Hate it at times.

"Slower and more tactical"? That sounds like a game that I could get into:D

The quick twitch, turn, jump combinations are a little too much for my nausea prone body to handle. It's one of the reasons I usually finish in the middle of the pack on Halo 2 on Live. Weird that held my own or actually ended up winning a few matches in the Halo 3 Beta.

I guess I keep this on my "wait and see" list till it's out or a demo releases. I've never played an Epic game till Gears. I both Love and Hate it at times.

When I say slower and more tactical, I do mean it as a relative to other similar games. Maybe "less manic" would be a better way of putting it. You don't have to be in the thick of pitched battle, though some maps insist on it. In some game types like VCTF you can hang back and support with vehicles, you can snipe at choke points, you can spend time reinforcing nodes (in Onslaught) and using turrets. The weapons themselves tend to offer more variation and imagination in how you use them. Maps can be "broken" by traversing them in unexpected ways.

You only have to look at the amount of emergent gameplay that ended up being integrated into normal play (such as the infamous "manta run" in VCTF) to see that the game rewards sneakyness and deviousness as well as good shooting skills. At the same time there are many "equaliser" weapons such as the redeemer, avril, ion cannon, tank, etc that allow less proficient players to stomp down on the single beserker opponent who has all the weapons and armour, and would otherwise slaughter you toe-to-toe. There is no "right" way to play, or "best" weapons to use.

Many's the time I've had the highest individual score in a VCTF game without touching the flag at all, just by playing defence and stopping the opposing team from taking our flag. Other times, I've seen teams with massive scores lose because they lost focus on the core task of stealing the other team's flag and got drawn into personal duels.

I'm not saying the game is set up to allow poor players to be as good as the best players, but it does allow the game to be played in different ways that allow the player to choose the techniques, movement, weapons (and how they are used), gametypes, vehicles that suit him best. I expect more of this in UT3, as Epic has stated on several occasions that they wanted UT3 to be more accessable to new and inexperienced players.

A good recommendation is to play the UT2K4 demo if you have a PC available. It will work on even quite modest machines by the standards of today's quad core multi-gig monsters. There are even still some demo servers around if you want to try it out online. You should find it has quite a different feel from other online shooter games.

Thanks for the recommendation, but other than the occassional puzzle game, I do not game on the PC. I never could get the hang of the KB/M combo.

I'll just have to wait till UT3 comes out.

Support bluetooth kb+mouse, or USB?

What does it matter?

in the end your only as good as your twitch gaming "chi" allows you to be regardless of the input method..

I'm sure there will be PLENTY of gamepad users that could out-gun many/most k/b + m users and vice versa..

The best gamepad user is no match for the best kb+mouse user.

PC Gamer played their sister mag, the Official Xbox Magazine in Halo. Despite the Xbox team play the game a billion times more, and playing together a long time, PC Gamer still beat them. PC Gamer was on a PC kb+mouse, Xbox mag was on a PC and the Xbox controller. Gamepad simply cant compete with a kb+mouse. Which is why they have to add auto aim.

I don't believe the XNA docs have anything to do with the commercial, full-disc games being released at this point.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb203938.aspx

The Xbox 360 supports three input devices: the game controller, the Xbox LIVE Vision camera, and an optional USB keyboard. Mice are not supported, and most Xbox 360 users will not have a keyboard connected to their console. The XNA Framework does not support the Vision camera. Games for the Xbox 360 should be programmed so that they will accept all critical input from the gamepad.

There is a clear distinction between what the 360 itself supports, and what XNA supports. I think that is what is being referred to.

There is a clear distinction between what the 360 itself supports, and what XNA supports. I think that is what is being referred to.

Sorry, the point being is that the developer documentation doesn't state that the keyboard isn't a viable gaming device.

Sorry, the point being is that the developer documentation doesn't state that the keyboard isn't a viable gaming device.

I don't understand what you're saying..?

XNA docs aren't aimed at professional games development not to mention that the XNA API is inherently cross-platform (xbox360/PC) and therefore any reference to k/b use relates only to PC deployment..

Doh ignore me. I was mixed up with the mouse/keyboard thing. :p

Mouse/Keyboard play simply can't be done on the 360 in it's current state, with no mouse support.

A friend of mine plays Gears with mouse and keyboard though. :???: I don't see why more accurate mouse input via USB couldn't be handled by a game if it chose to.

Sure he is, that device will not make a USB k&m work in 360 games.

You can eat your little 'sure he is' comment. He is doing so, using one of those devices, whether you believe it or not. :LOL:

This is him posting about his experience with it.

The issue is it's not as accurate a representation of mouse movement as using native drivers, but I don't see what the problem would be in embedding the support for it on a per game basis. i.e. the devs write the code that handle USB mouse support.

i.e. the devs write the code that handle USB mouse support.

Right, and right now they don't, so no KM switch is going to enable it. The only way to fake it is something like the FragFX, which uses a mouse to emulate one of the analog sticks.

Sorry, but your last post in no way justifies this comment you made.

"Sure he is, that device will not make a USB k&m work in 360 games."

The only issue is the interface. The mouse IS working in 360 games - yes it fakes the analogue stick but it does a good enough job of it to make it a good purchase for a whole bunch of people.

The fact that devs aren't coding support in is nothing new to the debate. We know this, in fact I implicitly mentioned it in my last post.

Now all I'm waiting for it the word on weather LAN play will be in or not and weather you can LAN with PC's as well just this could potentially keep my future LAN'ing costs right down if they support it.

Back