Rumor - ps3 2.0 fw will have 32MB reserved to OS

The 7'th SPE would be used for security but I'm guessing that it will also be possible to run an in game XMB or basic Home service, if that's true then it makes sense the allocate such a large resource to the OS that said I'm guessing those last two would have to be dealt with via the developer and not the OS but you never know we could be surprised.

The 7'th SPE would be used for security but I'm guessing that it will also be possible to run an in game XMB or basic Home service, if that's true then it makes sense the allocate such a large resource to the OS that said I'm guessing those last two would have to be dealt with via the developer and not the OS but you never know we could be surprised.

Surely that reserved SPU is used for audio encoding / processing, etc.?

I could also see that SPU used for SSL encoding of network streams during gameplay.. so many games have suffered from cheats and hacks that could be completely eliminated through the use of SSL for all game related network communications.

New features added to the SDK require ram but they also require an processing power do they not? Who knows once they get features down to the size were they are manageable in all games you don't want to have a bottleneck in another area. Why not prepare in advance? In game Video Voice chat while playing custom music and recording your game footage at the same time :eek:

It doesn't really matter as developers have to code there games with the 92 MB usage in mind. Not everyone has there PS3 connected to the internet or does regular updates on the PS3. You get a developer that codes there games expecting more memory than non firmware upgraded units have and the game doesn't work.

It doesn't really matter as developers have to code there games with the 92 MB usage in mind. Not everyone has there PS3 connected to the internet or does regular updates on the PS3. You get a developer that codes there games expecting more memory than non firmware upgraded units have and the game doesn't work.

That's why games that require a specific firmware version, ship with the firmware on the disc, and require its installation. Same with the PSP.

some games require a certain firmware and have the firmware on the disk.

... Not everyone has there PS3 connected to the internet or does regular updates on the PS3. You get a developer that codes there games expecting more memory than non firmware upgraded units have and the game doesn't work.

If a game requires the latest firmware (for more RAM), the firmware will be included with the game to allow the gamer to upgrade, e.g. PSP.

But when a game needs a specific firmware...okay, maybe you've got the message without my input ;)

PS3 OS memory usage downgraded

"With the latest SDK Sony freed up some memory. We've upgraded to this SDK and made use of the extra memory to scale the 720p game to 960x1080 as part of the very final post-process render stage in the game; this 960x1080 video mode uses the PS3 hardware scaler to upscale the image horizontally to output at 1920x1080.

"This scaling process in Burnout costs a very small amount of frame time (under 0.4% of a 60hz frame, which we can afford without dropping frames) since we're going to a larger number of pixels, but it enables those with 1080i TVs that don't support 720p to play in HD.

Link: http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=70

This was obtained from a forum post on gaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271753

Once again, looks like the memory footprint has been reduced, even though we actually dont know by how much.

anyway to figure out how muhc vram is need to do the scaling and figure out atleast how much is reduced for the Vram?

I personally don't understand how the OS can take so much. PS3s only takes 5 megs and does most of the same stuff (networking, disc and storage [memory stick vs hard drive] encryption/decryption of save games, on screen keyboard, etc)

How does an on screen KB take more space than PSPs OS in it's entirety? Granted it has text prediction, but still. It should stream from a database, not load the whole language into ram.
How does a buddy list take more than a couple kilobytes?

It's not like it takes 8 megs to show a slice of the XMB. If you have to, just use the code for the list that pops up when you press the home button.

I personally don't understand how the OS can take so much.
whos says it actualy uses that much ? .
They reserved a large chunck of memory to be confortable to implement whatever they want on a long term vision.
So at first they didn't really care for optimisation ,then things improved.But that memory footprint doesn't have to be fully used yet.

whos says it actualy uses that much ? .
They reserved a large chunck of memory to be confortable to implement whatever they want on a long term vision.
So at first they didn't really care for optimisation ,then things improved.But that memory footprint doesn't have to be fully used yet.

Home being one of them......

anyone listen the new IGN podcast? They got a guy from gearbox talking about multiplatform developments and the new brother in arms game. They guy also mention that the new PS3 SDK 2.20 give them a lot more memory to work with and improves the video output which makes the PS3 version of BIA looks alot richer in color by default compare to 360. They have to go back and improve the 360 version to make it looks as close to the PS3 version as possible.

I think this is the one

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/867/867402p1.html

anyone listen the new IGN podcast? They got a guy from gearbox talking about multiplatform developments and the new brother in arms game. They guy also mention that the new PS3 SDK 2.20 give them a lot more memory to work with and improves the video output which makes the PS3 version of BIA looks alot richer in color by default compare to 360. They have to go back and improve the 360 version to make it looks as close to the PS3 version as possible.

I think this is the one

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/867/867402p1.html

Aye I listened. "A lot" of memory sounds promosing.

again (?) it's weird because the 2.2 is probably the release that freed the less amount of memory...

Maybe in addition to earlier SDK releases, they get enough free memory to add some features they could not earlier?

And here is a transcript from the podcast.
28m20s:
Gearbox: Especially with the new (PS3 firmware) 2.20 update from Sony, we have got a more memory did not have before and some performance there. Folks (at the office) they are liking the colors are better in PS3, its a ritcher image now. Now we try to go back and touch the 360 version to make up for it.

IGN: What is it on the development side, we are hearing the same thing about GTA4 has better colors and Burnout Paradise is the same way?

Gearbox: It is interesting, it has something to do with PS3 video processing and the output. It is not the content or the data. We are about to make tests and grab frame buffers to compare it.

So would the increase in XDR allow for more texture memory if desired?

Also... does anyone have any idea what is going on with the new output with richer colors?

Back