Rumor - ps3 2.0 fw will have 32MB reserved to OS

I believe the big RAM cost of the onscreen keyboard is the predictive text entry dictionary that supplies the word suggestions on the right, IIRC.

I believe the big RAM cost of the onscreen keyboard is the predictive text entry dictionary that supplies the word suggestions on the right, IIRC.

Back in the day, my Commodore 128 had a 65,000 word spelling dictionary stored on a 170kB floppy. I was very baffled.

Back in the day, my Commodore 128 had a 65,000 word spelling dictionary stored on a 170kB floppy. I was very baffled.

Was it a proper dictionary, or just "you spelt abrafasfa incorrectly"? The later is very easy to do using a data structure known as a Bloom filter. It's a probabilistic method where you can trade-off the number of false-positives vs. memory consumption.

Deano Ninja Theory dev hinted at hit....they use it to decode the sound? (or some such)
Erm if I did, I didn't mean too... We use a dedicated SPU for sound but its one of the 6 unreserved ones.

As Dean said, the 7th SPU is reserved and private to the OS.

Deano

That's not fitting in the register space...

That's not possible!

65,000 words * 32 bit/word * 1byte/8 bits * 1KB / 1024 bytes = 253.9 KB! ;)

Erm if I did, I didn't mean too... We use a dedicated SPU for sound but its one of the 6 unreserved ones.

As Dean said, the 7th SPU is reserved and private to the OS.

Deano

Well you obv didn't then! Sorry - I hate Chinese whispers. The internet is a dangerous place - with people apparently quoting others - next time I will ask for a source (and a source I can trust). Embarrassing!:oops:

I know the 7th SPU is reserved, but I thought it could also be used to process sound?. I could swear i've seen a interview with one of the guys who made F1 Championship edition, who said that they were using the 7th SPU for sound.

I know the 7th SPU is reserved, but I thought it could also be used to process sound?. I could swear i've seen a interview with one of the guys who made F1 Championship edition, who said that they were using the 7th SPU for sound.

I don't understand why you're still asking this question?

Obviously you heard wrong..

The 7th SPU is reserved and thus devs don't have access to it.. Period..

Just let it die since you've had confirmation of this twice now.. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why you're still asking this question?

I assume, because reserving one entire SPE has always seemed to be a lot (too much) for what the OS is doing (currently). It makes sense to think that Sony reserved one entire SPE for its OS, but that there are features that are handles by it. Maybe sound isn't one of them, but perhaps network specific features that will tie in neatly with home? or perhaps PSP interactivity?

All we know at this point, is that the 7th SPE can't be used by devs which ever way they want.

I assume that the answer to what exactly is handled by the OS and what of that can be used by devs (that they would otherwise have to use a SPE for), is heavily under NDA....

I assume, because reserving one entire SPE has always seemed to be a lot (too much) for what the OS is doing (currently). It makes sense to think that Sony reserved one entire SPE for its OS, but that there are features that are handles by it. Maybe sound isn't one of them, but perhaps network specific features that will tie in neatly with home? or perhaps PSP interactivity?

All we know at this point, is that the 7th SPE can't be used by devs which ever way they want.

I assume that the answer to what exactly is handled by the OS and what of that can be used by devs (that they would otherwise have to use a SPE for), is heavily under NDA....

I think there was some info on this at Devstation 07..

Although it's still not public domain.. Sorry guys.. :cry:

That's not possible!

65,000 words * 32 bit/word * 1byte/8 bits * 1KB / 1024 bytes = 253.9 KB! ;)

I'm guessing this is a joke.

Either way, it's certainly not necessary to store each word fully. A Trie is much more space efficient, and faster to search. :cool:

sorry if this has been posted. thought i'd throw it in this thread.
http://www.innerbits.com/blog/2007/08/21/ps3-180-sdk/
The 1.80 SDK has been in developers’ hands for a few weeks, and we can now report on the latest progress of the Sony system utilities and their memory usage. On this front, the 1.80 release has been nothing but good news for developers (and indirectly, consumers). This release heralds both a slew of new features, and, as anticipated, improved memory consumption.

First, both the main memory and graphic memory footprints have been reduced, reaching a new low of 48MB and 24MB respectively. That’s a 12MB reduction since the 1.60 release. The extra memory is sure to be welcome by developers.

The memory reductions are not just restricted to the base system. The various Network Platform utilities have also been addressed in this release. The Friend List utility has gone from 24MB to 16MB (while the online startup utility remains at 8MB). Several Network Platform sub-utilities (providing varying subsets of the functionality in the Friend List utility) have also experienced memory reductions. The video chat utility also sees its base memory requirement drop to 20MB (that number rises back to 26MB when the maximum number of users is reached).

Feature-wise, Sony has responded to requests developers have made (which we previously reported here), adding three new system utilities. The first is a picture export utility, which allows developers to export any pictures (usually screen shots) to the player’s photo profile. For continued symmetry’s sake, readers should note that no such functionality currently exists on the Xbox 360. Consumers will enjoy sharing screen shots of their victorious moments with their friends. You can expect a slew of developers to support this utility as it comes in at a scant 3MB.

The second new utility is a music utility, which will allow developers to give consumers the choice of streaming their own music in game. This utility’s current weight – a hefty 12MB – is likely to be reduced in future releases. Readers should note that the Xbox 360 supports a similar feature (at no extra cost to developers).

Third, a new system allows developers to use a registered PSP system as an extra display. Similar to the PSP remote play utility, this one will require 8MB. It does, however, open up a slew of possible uses for developers. No comparable functionality is available on the Xbox 360 (for obvious reasons).

This release to developers was another very positive step forward for Sony (building on the success of the 1.60 release). Large amounts of memory have been made available to developers, and requested features have been delivered in a relatively short-time frame. We eagerly await the 2.0 release and what new features that may bring, and urge readers to check back with us in the next few days for some thoughts.

Back