Bioshock

Nothing against Bioshock as I'm as excited as the next guy, but does everyone remember the reviews that Doom III got before it came out?

Hmmm? :|

Nothing against Bioshock as I'm as excited as the next guy, but does everyone remember the reviews that Doom III got before it came out?

Doom III only had a couple of sites give it above a 90%. Mostly it got reviews in the 80% area.

For example,

eurogamer gave Doom III 8/10, Bioshock 10/10
Ign gave Doom III 8.4/10, Bioshock 9.7/10

Except you could tell Doom 3 was shit from the demo. Bioshock Xbox 360 demo is getting praised from opinions I respect, so I cant wait for PC demo and game.

I'm quite jealous of people who like the kind of game Bioshock is, because they've just got served a gold nugget! I just hope Lair is underrated. I'm very likely to get it because I just love the idea of flying a dragon with the sixaxis, so I'm probably willing to cut the game a lot more slack because of it.

OK, maybe it's because I don't like FPS games, but Bioshock is just another FPS set underwater right? With the ability to use insects as enemies or something?

:LOL:

5/10

Now THAT is funny!!

Regarding Doom3, the graphics, atmosphere, animation etc, seemed VERY well done FWIR, it was the gameplay that lacked (flashlight, repeated tactics etc). The gameplay is IMO the strongest asset Bioshock has going for it. Followed very closely by Atmosphere, Graphics, Story, Sound, Music, etc.

Longstory short, Bioshock deserves praise and will be remembered as one of the best this gen.

Instaclassictm

I just get nervous whenever people start naming a game GOTY that hasn't been released yet. :???:

heheh

I hear ya. One thing I don't like is when something is overhyped and expectations are set too high. It generally ruins something great into a letdown.

I think most gamers though that are interested in a good "game" will appreciate what Bioshock is bringing to the table. The initial premise sounded good, it was just a matter of execution. After playing the demo and seeing the execution was very well done, and seeing the final reviews come out echoing the same for the rest of the experience, I feel comfortable in saying it will be one of the great ones.

Some people won't like it for what it is, but it does a very good job at being the best Bioshock it can be ... if that makes sense.

With the ability to use insects as enemies or something?

- Set Traps (essentially electrical tripwires)
- Hack security camera's, turrets and drones
- Enrage enemies to attack any around them
- Possess enemies to make them fight for you
- Use Telekenisis to catch grenades/rockets and throw them back, or to relocate traps on the fly
- and a whole host of other RPG like powers: fire, lightning, tornado etc etc

woops...totally forgot I was in the LAIR thread. Sry.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Set Traps

(essentially electrical tripwires)
- Hack security camera's, turrets and drones
- Enrage enemies to attack any around them
- Possess enemies to make them fight for you
- Use Telekenisis to catch grenades/rockets and throw them back, or to relocate traps on the fly
- and a whole host of other RPG like powers: fire, lightning, tornado etc etc

yea I can't wait to see the full game and experiment with this stuff... I tired it on HARD last night and OMG... I think I'll go medium and enjoy it for 30+ hours. :)

I mean just looking around at all the art and looking out the windows is a treat in the demo. I'm going to observe every beautiful piece of work that the artists produced.

...because an underwater city would lend itself to open vistas and scenery as far as the eye can see...?
:smile: This game is a good investment, like good rooms it has a view to the sea.

I am with Sethamin here, Bioshock's graphics are the best I've ever seen on any console to date, and they're superior to GeoW. It's just a matter of taste but apart from the aforementioned details what I really love of Bioshock's graphics are the textures. Some of them are awesome. i.e. the first time you use a plasmid, the ceramic dolls' textures are incredibly detailed, with the most vivid, rich color possible and it's not an isolated fact.

I think that GOOD graphics died along with the 2D era graphics (D2) but this game brings 3D graphics nearer to 2D -- artwork, content, etc. For example, the poor castaway fish after the water cascade that comes down when the glass ceiling breaks. The fish looks authentic.

Finally, I did read in a review that the game is a criticism of the Objectivism, a philosophical trend developed by Ayn Rand;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand

Last edited by a moderator:
Played the demo at a friends place today, and it was pretty much like I expected (being the follow up to the best game ever).I hope the PC demo is coming soon.
So I can try to see how it runs on ancient hardware. Or I can hope they announce the PS3 version at GC Leipzig...

The visuals aren't really that spectacular, IMHO. (Mute the audio and you will see what I'm talking about.) What's riveting is the game's immersive audio and incredibly tight narrative.

With audio ON, Bioshock is heart-stopping. And with the Subtitles option selected (I think it's Subtitles), you can't help but notice the Art Deco/Moderne theme in architecture and industrial design. A creepy film noir style is obvious, but so is the lack of 1940s rhetoric.

Back