Interesting papers/technology at SIGGRAPH 2007

Simon F

Tea maker
Veteran
Supporter
G'day all,
Did anyone else attend SIGGRAPH this year? If so, what were the highlights for you?

I personally found the "Seam Carving" paper, where images could be non-linearly scaled so that the important features still dominated the scene, utterly fascinating. It seemed (no pun intended) like magic until they explained how they were doing it, and then it was simply damned clever. :smile:

Anyone else want to give their opinion? (There was huge attendance this year so I can't be the only B3D regular who went).

Unfortunately I didn't attent Siggraph this year, but I will try to read papers in my mean time, downloading the paper you pointed out right now, thanks :)

Anyone else want to give their opinion? (There was huge attendance this year so I can't be the only B3D regular who went).
Sore point! Tim and I nearly made the trip but it fell through in the last minute :cry: I hear attendance was north of 24,000 people this year.

Ta for the link!

Holy crap, Simon!

Somehow I missed that paper when I was perusing the list - glad you brought it up!

The video is excellent - reading the paper now.

I liked the laser vector display playing 80's games at the Electronic Theater. The scan rate was a little low (it was a full movie theater screen) so there was some flicker, but watching Jim Blinn play Asteroids was entertaining.

Seam Carving was also one of my favorites. There were a lot of good image and video editing papers. The Light-Speed paper was also pretty cool. Computational photography is now a big part of SIGGRAPH, amusing since they rejected the 2 seminal papers on it a few years ago... The GPGPU course also did very well this year and they had to open up another room to handle the overflow. ;-) There were a tremendous amount of papers this year and as usual the scheduling overlapped in ways that made it difficult to see all the stuff I wanted. You can now by video for all the talks and courses if you missed anything, but it's expensive. encore.siggraph.org

Emerging technologies had some neat stuff. OLPC was being demoed as well as a pretty good 3D display based on a spinning angled mirror. There was a little bit of flicker, but a faster projector will fix that. No vertical parallax though... There was also a HDR projection system being shown.

I liked the laser vector display playing 80's games at the Electronic Theater. The scan rate was a little low (it was a full movie theater screen) so there was some flicker, but watching Jim Blinn play Asteroids was entertaining.
The session I attended had Ken Perlin playing one of the games. Very amusing. I particularly liked the videos which showed breakdowns of what was CGI in recent movies, especially the digital birth... and also (IIRC) "Super Helpful Robot" was brilliant.

Seam Carving was also one of my favorites. There were a lot of good image and video editing papers. The Light-Speed paper was also pretty cool. Computational photography is now a big part of SIGGRAPH, amusing since they rejected the 2 seminal papers on it a few years ago... The GPGPU course also did very well this year and they had to open up another room to handle the overflow. ;-) There were a tremendous amount of papers this year and as usual the scheduling overlapped in ways that made it difficult to see all the stuff I wanted. You can now by video for all the talks and courses if you missed anything, but it's expensive. encore.siggraph.org
I ended up paying for the whole lot. As you said, there was just so much overlap you needed to be in up to 3 places at once.
The "Wave Particles" paper was also interesting and I enjoyed the one in the video section where they were "time compressing" videos.

Emerging technologies had some neat stuff. OLPC was being demoed as well as a pretty good 3D display based on a spinning angled mirror. There was a little bit of flicker, but a faster projector will fix that. No vertical parallax though...
There was a display that did have parallax in both X and Y, but the image was tiny and the machine was huge! It used the same sort of idea that Logie Baird used for the first TVs.

One other interesting paper I ran across is "Image Deblurring with Blurred/Noisy Image Pairs" by Microsoft Research. I'm interested in image deblurring as blurring is a big problem with low light photography. The video does a good job explaining the basics of how this works.

video
paper

Back