Site-specific adblocker for IE7?

I visit a lot of sites, but only one - cluttered up everywhere wiht flash-based ads - seems to randomly yet consistently crash IE7. Of course it's always in the damn flash plugin it crashes too.

So now I'd like to block all the ads on that site since I'm tired of losing all my damn open tabs each time IE dies. Does anyone know off-hand if there is such a thing?

I'll go look myself on MS's plugin site, but last time I checked there wasn't all that much to choose from there. Kind of like people don't bother writing plugins for MS's monolithic monopoly-ware and doing free work.. HMM! Very strange! :cool: Seems to be basically thge same thing for MS's media player too I might add. Not anywhere near the same amount of plugins as with Winamp for example.

Seriously, I can't believe MS didn't give the option to restore tabs after a crash.. It's like they're doing the ostrich routine of pretending their software doesn't screw up.

I'm not really considering switching browsers. I tried firefox a month or two ago and it crashed just as much as IE due to flash content.

Even though it can restore last session it's STILL completely screwy graphics-wise and sucking tons of CPU as soon as any webpage shows something animated even if it's scrolled off-screen or minimized to the taskbar or in a background tab. A couple tabs like that and the whole PC's running like drenched in molasses. Not really a serious alternative IMO.

Can't be bothered with opera frankly because I believe it uses the same flash code as all other major browsers adobe supports and probably crashes just as much as everything else out there. How depressing.

...Yeah I could uninstall flash I guess. But there's just too many sites out there that depend on it these days so I'd feel crippled. :mad:

Peace.

I already said firefox is not an alternative because it's rotten and wastes huge amounts of system resources when showing graphics-intensive web pages.

However I found something called IEPlus and while it won't block the ads the way I'd like to at least it'll restore my tabs when Flash.ocx crashes yet again.

I know coz it just happened a couple minutes ago and I'm already back on track again. :cool:

Peace.

How about adding the site to the restricted area in the CP of IE and then adjust the restricted area settings if you want some features that are otherwise disabled.

Otherwise you could use an ad-blocker or use the hosts file to block the particular ad or the ad provider.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may seem obvious, but did you try installing the latest Flash plugin?
I don't use IE but, it sure was crashing msn messenger all the time for me, until I updated it.

Give IE7Pro a try, it's an add-on, so no bloated frontend or anything like that. It also has a crash recovery feature (restores all open tabs after a crash).

Last edited by a moderator:
Give IE7Pro a try, it's an add-on, so no bloated frontend or anything like that. It also has a crash recovery features (restores all open tabs after a crash).

I've been happy with the few newest versions of IE7Pro, works fine here :yes:

Back