PS3 Bluetooth Headset Recommendations

expletive

Veteran
Looks like the retail version of warhawk may require the disc in the drive to play so i'll be opting for the DL version. That said, i was planning on using the retail warhawk box to get myself a BT headset on the cheap but now need to procure one seperately. Any recommendations that receive high marks on quality, compatibility, battery life, and price? Basically, what are the diamonds in the rough of BT headsets?

EDIT, darn can an op fix my title spelling error... :oops:

Yeah... or you can get a cheaper one, like the Jabra BT135, which is very cheap atm. It used to have issues, but latest firmwares / patches seem to have fixed any problems. Very small and reliable and reasonable sound quality, quite amazing for the price really.

I say you buy Warhawk, it comes with the BT125, which is what I have (Jabra headset) and it works wonderfully, but best of all, the battery life is superb. Sound is great, both ways.

Plus, you get Warhawk, how awesome is that :p

I have had nothing but issues with bluetooth headsets and ps3, freezing controllers, freezing the ps3 and connection losses.

Do yourself a favour, get a usb pc headset, no issues at all

I have had nothing but issues with bluetooth headsets and ps3, freezing controllers, freezing the ps3 and connection losses.

Do yourself a favour, get a usb pc headset, no issues at all

I had those problems with what turned out to be a cheap chinese counterfeit, have had no problems on the most recent firmware and the Jabra though (earlier firmware it basically didn't work at all in games, all good now).

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I bought the official PS3 BT Headset that came out and I want to post my impressions as well as see others.

Sony_Playstation_3_Bluetooth_headset.jpg

Pros:
*Audio quality is spectacular. In my opinion, the clearest sounding headset I have used.
*It automatically mutes itself when you are not talking. So you don't get that problem where the mic is always on and you can hear a lot of background noise from other players.
*Very nice on screen interface which I was surprised to see. Even in game you will see a pop up any time you press a button on the device. It will show you it's status, volume level, mute, battery level, quality mode etc. Pretty slick. This is one clear advantage this "offical" headset has over all the other ones at this moment.
*Button layout is quite good and intuitive.
*It comes with it's own USB charging base station. It automatically disconnects when you plug it in to the dock.
*Automatically pairs with the PS3 when you plug it in via USB. No need to fiddle around with the XMB menus to try to get it to detect it.
*Easily adapts for people who want to use it on either left ear or right ear.

Cons
*When you press the mute button, it keeps beeping in your ear about every 5 seconds to remind you that your headset is on mute. I wish it didn't do this.
*There is a lag between when you talk and when the voice will be played. Compared to my previous wired USB head set the lag seems to be bigger. Even up to a full second it seems.
*It's more comfortable that my last headset, but still not completely comfortable for me. Especially because I wear glasses when I am gaming. I think having glasses over your ear as well as the headset is slightly uncomfortable. But I can't say any other headset I have tried is better.
*The actual part that goes into your ear is kind of big. Maybe I just have small "ear holes" but I wish it was a bit smaller or came with adjustable ear fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
patsu said:
Took me a while to figure out. I think the headset won't pair if you plug the USB cable into the cradle. That's for charging and probably HQ (high quality) comms mode. To pair the device, you need to use either Bluetooth or plug the USB cable directly into the headset. The socket (another one !) is hidden at the top of the mic."

Actually I had that problem too. But I just blamed myself instead of the product because I didn't read the instructions that are inside the box which tell you just this.

But if other people are making the same mistake maybe there is an issue here. They probably should have just let it pair immediately when you put it in the cradle for the first time. But it seems cradling is not considered a USB connection.

I am using Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980 which I also use with my handphone. It works fairly well with PS3 with sound quality as good as with my phone.

I have not faced any lag so far. When I tried it with End War demo I got fairly good voice recognition and most commands recognized without retrying.

I'm very close to ordering the official one standalone for $39 at amazon right now. I would kick myself to see the SOCOM bundle a week later for $40-50 though.

Does the PS3 headset work on PC as well? I have a Microsoft entertainment desktop 7000 which has is Blu Tooth and has a hub as well. It connects to the PS3 but I was wondering if the PS3 Blu Tooth would connect to it?

I'm using the Motorola H700. I often get asked if I have the official SOCOM headset, because according to them my voice is crystal clear.

Back