Scientology

All the Scientology papers are available on Freenet: http://freenet.sourceforge.net/. I've read some of them, but it's all such bullshit I just can't force my mind to continue reading after a few pages. It should win the Intergalactic Confederation Thetan Supreme Bullshit Award.

Nah, I think L. Ron Hubbard was just awarded Biggest Douche in the Universe (that's right, he's not actually dead!).

Maybe it came down to a close race between him and Xenu. Har.

The Baron said:
Nah, I think L. Ron Hubbard was just awarded Biggest Douche in the Universe (that's right, he's not actually dead!).
Maybe it came down to a close race between him and Xenu. Har.

He did seem to keep cranking out those Mission Earth novels well after he passed from this mortal coil. Man, was that some real crud!

Hard to take L. Ron Hubbard too seriously, he was a really second rate science-fiction writer for a lot of years. He was also supposedly quoted way back (before his "divine inspiration") as saying (paraphrased): "Yeah, you can make some money writing, but if you really want to make money, you need to start your own religion."
:rolleyes:

Tahir said:
When was the fact that the Universe was expanding first realised?
It was around the time of 1916 when these ideas came to the front, again in 1922 but there was just theory at this stage. It was not until 1929 that Einstein admitted his mistake when Hubble was able to produce evidence of the doppler effect.

Actually, when Hubble first noted the "red shift" he didn't think it was necessarily due to a universe that was expanding uniformly in all directions (and causing a "doppler shift"). He at first thought it was due to a uniform attenuation which caused photons to lose energy as they propagated, which would also cause a spectrum shift.

It was Einstein and Mach who termed it a "doppler shift", since any sort of attenuation of particles/waves in a 'vacuum' meant there was some form of universal medium (i.e. 'aether'), which they were hard at work trying to disprove.

Of course, if you eliminate a universal or electromagnetic aether, you are left with 'action at a distance', which is a tough pill to swallow as well.

Back