Taking apart a new Elite (has extra gpu heatsink)

I'm kind of disappointed because a couple months ago, my 360 went in for service. Since back it's been running like a champ. I had hoped it contained all the latest internal modifications. However when I did this check, I dont have the new heatsink.

But my 360 is still running great so, oh well I guess. I hope it at least has the epoxy on the chips.

I'm kind of disappointed because a couple months ago, my 360 went in for service. Since back it's been running like a champ. I had hoped it contained all the latest internal modifications. However when I did this check, I dont have the new heatsink.

But my 360 is still running great so, oh well I guess. I hope it at least has the epoxy on the chips.

Pretty sure the epoxy is just to thwart hackers.

Pretty sure the epoxy is just to thwart hackers.

Hmm, that could be. I thought originally it was speculated to prevent the chips from basically popping off the motherboard with overheating, which had been one of the big problems people had apparantly been seeing.

How coudl they be moving? They're soldered in place with roughly 700-1000 balls of solder each I'd imagine.

That the silicon gets so hot to melt the solder is inconcievable. The console would die and start smoking before that would happen.
Peavce.

Hmm, perhaps heat, pressure and micro vibrations make some solder joints break. Epoxy would help in this case since it acts as a firm support. :???:

I'm sure it makes it harder to access the chip (to attach a logic analyzer perhaps) without destroying it.

Back