The old and unwieldy GTA4 thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like DMC4 again and again it took time to really know which version was better, and by the way the truth came too late (not that I care that much but for the sake of discussion) a lot of people are still stating that the ps3 version is better or equivalent.
At some point it was my opinion (from read only and low quality video don't help)till I decided to download the HQ videao Dot50cal provided!! And anybody with good eyes not seeing the difference... goes straight to my ignore list (ie you will never manage to have a not too biaised discusion with them...).
People like Eurogamer?

You seem to have heard something different that they didn't mention.

Speaking of bias, you seem to be running a one man crusade telling people the reviews aren't to be trusted.

People like Eurogamer?

You seem to have heard something different that they didn't mention.

Eurogamer on DMC4 said:
That said, while the 360 game does tend to have a shimmering effect on its most intricate textures, personally I think it's the better-looking game

Seems like he heard right, but honestly all this which version looks better crap is overplayed as long as they are pretty close (as DMC4 is). Most of the recent titles certainly have fallen on that side.

If I remember correctly there were differences between xbox and ps2 ver of san andreas, people still enjoyed from both version.
I guess because people are saying its next gen and you spend a lot of money, performance comes into play.

Seems like he heard right, but honestly all this which version looks better crap is overplayed as long as they are pretty close (as DMC4 is). Most of the recent titles certainly have fallen on that side.

I couldn't have said better, My one man crusade is not here to prevent people discussing this great game ;)

DJ12 it's not a one man crusade as I will stop after this post but reviews have importance, the slight differences will become bigger and bigger as one give its opinion to another etc.
Snowballing effects.

The trend is that the ps3 is slightly better, but there are discordant voices here and there and I feel like the trend is already set while nobody knows for sure.
EDit (sorry i stated it was my last post... :LOL: ) I can't acces the review now but as an example some site states that the ps3 has a better AA our dear Qartz51 told us the 360 runs @720p AAx2, shall I think that the ps3 version runs with AAx4?

Last edited by a moderator:
So to summarize, the 360 version has better frame rate, but the PS3 version has better frame rate. 360 has more pop in, but PS3 has more pop in. PS3 looks muddy, however 360 looks muddy. White equals black, and 3 equals 4. Does that sound around right? Man, my head hurts :(

That is his opinion and it refers to something he finds better in the PS3 version. He doesn't offer any technically superiority for his opinion, he just prefers it.

Hardly making a liar of all the reviewers that preferred the PS3 version. (it seems there were judging from liolio's comments)

I am not really concerned about how a game looks, I have a PS3 so will get the PS3 version, but liolio is talking about a massive difference that makes everyone that liked the PS3 version of DMC 4 more than the 360 version clearly wrong which isn't the case at all from what I can tell.

So to summarize, the 360 version has better frame rate, but the PS3 version has better frame rate. 360 has more pop in, but PS3 has more pop in. PS3 looks muddy, however 360 looks muddy. White equals black, and 3 equals 4. Does that sound around right? Man, my head hurts :(
Looking at this from a purely logical perspective instead of technical one, one can't help but see evidence for totally different factors. How many comparisons are comparing like-with-like, instead of just playing the game a bit on one console, than the other, and having a 'feeling'? How many are using proper scientific method to compare the same situation in repeated instances, to show it's not just a background function stealing a little processing at a busy spot which might not repeat itself again frequently? Does it point to a game that's identical on both platforms and the differences are down to individual hardwares even? One PS3 is a little more choppy than another, enough to cause a discrepancy against in a platform comparison? Or is there a psychological effect, people seeing what they're expecting to see, to wanting to see?

I doubt anyone will provide the answers. Unless you can absolutely rule out potential, even if improbable causes, you'd need multiple consoles running the same point of the game with exactly the same input, video captured and reviewed, to know for certain. If you wanted to be lackadaisical about it you could accept 'close enough' input and just look for bigger differences. No-one going to do that. You'll have one PS3, one XB360, someone playing the game, and reporting their opinion. You'll then get conflicting reports from all over the web with no way to consolidate all the evidence and whatever facts there are into a comprehensive body of material fit for study.

So end of the day, it's a moot debate that'll keep the fanboys happy, but I don't see any point arguing it myself! The game's good (if you like that sort of thing) on either platform. Who cares if one has a minor edge over the other? ;)

That is his opinion and it refers to something he finds better in the PS3 version. He doesn't offer any technically superiority for his opinion, he just prefers it.

Hardly making a liar of all the reviewers that preferred the PS3 version. (it seems there were judging from liolio's comments)

I am not really concerned about how a game looks, I have a PS3 so will get the PS3 version, but liolio is talking about a massive difference that makes everyone that liked the PS3 version of DMC 4 more than the 360 version clearly wrong which isn't the case at all from what I can tell.
Ok you force me into a new post out of topic on top on that :LOL:.

I prefer the dmc4 version because for me it looks way clearer, I find the difference really noticable (even if doesn't make the game less enjoyable on the ps3). And I found tough to not notice the difference / prefer the ps3 rendition.

And I agree to disagree, I've taken more than my share of posts on this topic ;)

Yes sounds about right!

If you have a 360 and a PS3 toss a coin..

EDIT: Removed "If your new to this generation, PS3 all the way" way to of topic

I think the only thing that these two version really differ noticably in is the pop-in which all reviewers seem to notice more on the 360.

Everything else seems a more subjective matter (color, contrast, etc...).

Edit: plus loading times

I´m still looking forward to someone checking the sound. On the PSP games the dialog is very rough compared to the music, they cut corners on that to save space.

I wonder if you can save replays again, like the xbox version of San Andreas. Sharing replays online ala- Halo 3 might be pretty cool, but it hasn't really been mentioned as far as I know, so I'm guessing probably not.

It's crazy to see how people can be biased... evan pretended journalists.
We will have to wait to know the truth as we 're everything and its opposite.
I find it crazy that when a game on the PS3 has some advantages (even in this case it seems to very minor) over the 360 it is like that the sky is falling down and now all those review are biased. It something I've been witnessing on different fora since the release went up on ign.

Sometimes I have the feeling that allot of people where expecting to see a big difference between versions (in favour of the 360) and now that it isn't not the case they are for some strange reason upset.

And come on, the game (regardless of version) seems to be a jewel.

It will be interesting to see what Quaz51 says about the AA then.

Seems pretty clear though, the PS3 version is the best version to buy, the only reason to get the 360 version (if you have a PS3 and 360) is the DLC.

Although stella sales of the PS3 version will likely mean DLC for the PS3 also, just different DLC than the 360 gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back