The old and unwieldy GTA4 thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh gosh, if both versions are within 95% visually of each other as it sounds like, it comes down to other things such as control (subjective), sound, content, MP, etc.

This seems to be a game in which hard-drive streaming would make a difference, so I guess thats why the PS3 has less pop-in and stuttering according to IGN. I have watched well over 30 minutes of the streams that have been up over the past couple of days, and I have to say the pop-in, and stuttering really seem to be minimal on the 360 version so for the Playstation 3 version to have less is really an great achievement.

Give it a day or so and we will see numerous comparisons between the two. I am at a standstill almost as I would greatly appreciate the opportunity for DLC and Live, although less pop-in and 7.1 support matter as well.

The thing is 80-90% of 360 owners probably have the hard drive, I wonder why not allow an optional, but not mandatory, install on 360?

Seems MS has a strict no install policy I guess. Which might be a good thing in general.

The thing is 80-90% of 360 owners probably have the hard drive, I wonder why not allow an optional, but not mandatory, install on 360?

Seems MS has a strict no install policy I guess. Which might be a good thing in general.

Yeah, but the option to install does not hurt anyone, so I really do not understand why they would not allow it.

So is it confirmed at all that the 360 version doesn't cache onto the hard drive when it's present? :|

So is it confirmed at all that the 360 version doesn't cache onto the hard drive when it's present? :|

I am not sure, but I have heard the PS3 version has a mandatory install of around ~3GB. I would not be surprised if the 360 version does use hard drive caching, but I do not think it requires you to permanently place 3GB of data on your hard drive.

Have cache. Some people have done tests without the hard drive, and has cache. Without disk is the experience is bad;).

A person who has two versions - the colector versions ;) -, did not mention differences in streaming. In fact, is clear for this person that the PS3 has more poping

hmm...

That is completely the opposite of what IGN has said, so I guess we will have to wait for people to directly compare them. Anyway, this game sounds pretty awesome regardless of the platform you own.

Have cache. Some people have done tests without the hard drive, and has cache. Without hard drive the experience is bad;).

A person who has two versions - the colector versions ;) -, did not mention differences in streaming. In fact, is clear for this person that the PS3 has more poping

Have cache. Some people have done tests without the hard drive, and has cache. Without hard drive the experience is bad;).

Come one... I have read several reviews all pointing to PS3 looking better and even the president of Rockstar confirmed the PS3 looked better in an interview. I am not gonna believe what some guy in a forum said who is most likely unreliable considering it goes against what everyone else is saying.

Come one... I have read several reviews all pointing to PS3 looking better and even the president of Rockstar confirmed the PS3 looked better in an interview. I am not gonna believe what some guy in a forum said who is most likely unreliable considering it goes against what everyone else is saying.

That's not what Sam Houser said.

Both have plusses and minuses. As far as I'm concerned, they're neck and neck now.

That's what Sam Houser said.

I'm leaning towards going with the PS3 version. But does anybody know if you customize the layout of the controls? I would really like to remap lock-on and shoot/attack to L1 and R1.

I have more confidence in a person with that profile, than in 20 reviewers that does not show to me a good collection of screens in a comparative.

the president of Rockstar

Sam Houser ?

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3167500

There's a slight difference in the way they look. I think that's to do with really low-level technical stuff that I'm not the guy to explain. The 360 games have a certain look to them; PS3 games have a certain look to them. I like the way [the PS3] renders. There's a certain kind of softness without being blurry -- some warmth to it -- and then there's a certain more clinical element to how the 360 looks. Both have plusses and minuses. As far as I'm concerned, they're neck and neck now. That's very much our goal; we do not want to get in the middle of that rather heated, fervent debate.... These guys who wanna defend their systems, you know what? Good on 'em, and let them do it. We just didn't want to give them something that would in any way fuel it....

Well, my english is very bad

I am not sure, but I have heard the PS3 version has a mandatory install of around ~3GB. I would not be surprised if the 360 version does use hard drive caching, but I do not think it requires you to permanently place 3GB of data on your hard drive.

It's 3340Kb (i.e., only 3 Mb).

DSC03013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend who is a reviewer. He says that even after he loaded the disc onto his XDK's sidecar (the HDD) pop-in still happens quite a bit. Disappointing to hear that :\ Makes me wonder if the PS3 version will still have it as bad even with the install.

I wonder if thats a typo. 3MB wouldn't make any difference on load times, plus it would seem odd that 5 minute install would only copy that much data.

The pop-ins might be for small objects ? Or could be due to other reasons (Stream directly from anywhere on Blu-ray instead of outer rings of DVD9 ?)

I wonder if thats a typo. 3MB wouldn't make any difference on load times, plus it would seem odd that 5 minute install would only copy that much data.

That's probably the minimum requirement when HD has less space, not the installer does by default when there is enough.

why?

It's 3340Kb (i.e., only 3 Mb).

After the install that would be the minimum required for save games.. that is my guess.

GTA4, the most important game this generation (in more than one aspect), multiplatform and aparently extremely high quality in every aspect. And from the outlook it seems that this game plays to all the PS3 strenghts. Mandatory Harddisk, Blu-Ray with lots of space and free online gaming.

This could be very good news for Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back