The old and unwieldy GTA4 thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. Like Arwin said, it's likely both versions are delayed with the blame on both consoles. We already know that each console have disadvantages, no need to point them out every chance you get. Focusing the blame entirely on one console is even worse as neither console is perfect.

And you're wrong. :LOL:
see!
The cynic in me thinks the P* comments were tailored for their audiences. "Offical PS magazine? We'd better make some disparaging remarks about XB360 so they feel their PS3 is getting the best versions. XB360 mag? Let's complain how awful PS3 is."

Fanboys on both sides hear what they want to hear and believe in their console as the One True Console, and R* get +ve rep among both sides...

Ugh. Like Arwin said, it's likely both versions are delayed with the blame on both consoles. We already know that each console have disadvantages, no need to point them out every chance you get. Focusing the blame entirely on one console is even worse as neither console is perfect.

Let's just put it this way. As the recent 1up Yours podcast mentioned, the decision to postpone the game was based on the best, latest 360 version of the game, that was shown to the people that had to approve that decision. Based on that build, the decision was made to delay the game.

We already know that each console have disadvantages, no need to point them out every chance you get. Focusing the blame entirely on one console is even worse as neither console is perfect.

It took someone that owns machines to say something so simple and logical. Well done. :D

7.1 uncompressed is all the rage these days... apparently HD-DVD is crap because it doesn't have it. Grrrr.

You thinking like the Spiderman Blu-Ray box?
SM1 will have 24bit Dolby THD, but the original audio source was 16bit.

SM2 will have 24bit Dolby THD from a 24bit master

SM3 will have 24bit Dolby THD and 16bit LPCM.

I doubt we will see a game with uncompressed soundtracks like in the old days of the CD-ROM. 5.1 doesn´t have to take up more space (not much) since it mostly a question of placing the sound in correct place. Only if you have some advanced stuff where you actually mix some of the sound in 5.1/7.1 in a professional studio could it have it´s use.

Even then don't you need an HDMI A/V receiver for that? I wonder how many people have one that does 1080p pass through as well.

Find one that doesn't. If it can do PCM, I'm sure it will pass the 1080P signal. Upconversion is the feature that distinguish most HDMI receivers. BTW even resistance has uncompressed 5.1 audio.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/02/xbox-360-cant-handle-all-of-gta-iv/

Sorry if this have beedn postted before.

My guess, the reason for the delay is because, they have to take the time to try to crammed everything into the smaller DVDs. This can be quiet a pain for them.

Thanks, if that turns out to be true (and i guess it is since there actually is a name behind that claim and its from R*, in contrast to some "unknown" developer) then this is the only official information about possible problems on the Xbox 360 version we have.
Plus it sounds very plausible to me (limitations because of optional HDD on the 360). Additionally, they might even have problems fitting it on a DVD9, not because of size, but because a DVD9 has much lower transfer speeds on the 360 drive and that could very well also be a limiting factor (when they would have to go for a DVD5 because of that) as well.

The fact no living soul outside R* labs has seen a working PS3 version seems to point a different way fandudes.

I'm deeply sorry.

Thanks, if that turns out to be true (and i guess it is since there actually is a name behind that claim and its from R*, in contrast to some "unknown" developer) then this is the only official information about possible problems on the Xbox 360 version we have.
Plus it sounds very plausible to me (limitations because of optional HDD on the 360). Additionally, they might even have problems fitting it on a DVD9, not because of size, but because a DVD9 has much lower transfer speeds on the 360 drive and that could very well also be a limiting factor (when they would have to go for a DVD5 because of that) as well.

I don't know how many times it has to be said, or how much more clear it has to be for people to understand this, but it's likely that the cause of the delay is a result of both consoles. Reread the thread, look at other multiplatform games that have faced delays, and I think you'll find that there are valid points that suggest both versions are behind.

Here's a thought: this is the first time GTA is being released simultaneously on both consoles, perhaps R*'s resources are spread too thin to accomplish this project on time. Just a thought.

Um, want a financial take on why the game got delayed?

Take Two recently fired its entire board of directors, CEO + chairman.

The replacements would want to delay potential big release so they can acredit the success of the title to themselves.

Was'nt LAIR supposed to feature 7.1 uncompressed sound?

Well how do you get surround sound from a Console? You encode it to a Surround format for example Dolby Digital (afaik the XBOX had dedicated hardware for this). Or if you have HDMI and a HDMI device that supports HDMI PCM.

Uncompressed PCM would be the choice for anyone that wanted the best sound, most will end up with DTS or Dolby Digital, depending on what the games provides.

Even if the sound is compressed, for example AAC encoded, on the disc it would still be uncompressed PCM coming over HDMI, adjust your PR radar and you get a half truth i guess.

Nevertheless, AC-3 is a bad codec so in any case it will sound better via HDMI uncompressed.

Here is another reason for this delay that is worth considering.

Someone on GAF made a post that said the cause of the delay had nothing to do with technical problems or hardware limitations on either platform. The delay was caused because certain material in the game was deemed unacceptable by some higher ups in light of the recent Manhunt 2 banning.

Now I have no idea if the person should be taken seriously or not but the reason he gave would explain what happened.

Arise from the ashes oh ancient thread :runaway:

[gt]28353[/gt]

And a special message that the 3rd trailer is coming out on December 6, 2007.

Prepare for another internet crash folks :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Arise from the ashes oh ancient thread :runaway:

And a special message that the 3rd trailer is coming out on December 6, 2007.

Prepare for another internet crash folks :p

I watched the 2 first trailers the other day, muted, without sound the real bad frame rate really shows it´s head, i hope they fixed it :)

Apart from the technical issues one thing that i find extremely interesting is the actual story and gameplay. Considering when it should have been released i would expect the story to really shine after alot of polish and the game to be filled to the brim with lots of little touches and extras.

Strangely enough GTA4 is not up there on my "omg" list like the GTA3 series was. I guess i expect a piss poor PS3 job and a character i can´t get into :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back