E3 Winners, Loosers & Suprises

Goldni

Regular
Have to say I'm dissapointed with this years E3. It just did'nt have that magic from past years. Nothing groundbreaking was playable. No new hardware shown (other than Sony's handheld announcement). Tons of software for just about everything except PC. Also the coverage was not great this year either. Anyways I have a ton of movies, interviews and hands on impressions I've sifted through so I list my games and you feel free to do the same.

GOTS: Tie- F-Zero GX and Prince Of Persia SoT.

First of all F-Zero was flat out the most graphically advanced game that was playable on the show floor. This thing is almost finished and runs at 60 fps even in 4 player split screen mode. Can't wait for the GCN Preview disc (just 2 more days till my EB has them) Hat's off to Sega..and Nintendo for having the faith in AV to do the classic franchise justice. If it gets any kind of push at all from NOA FZ is gonna be a big game for the middle of 2003.

Ubi Soft's PoP came out of freaking nowhere. It looks amazing and plays even better than the visuals according to some. I'm starting to really like Ubi Soft especially after SC, R3HH and (R3 and SC for GBA). PoP could be another huge hit for Ubi in the US. Ubi (as well as Eurocom)has a way about them that makes their multiplatform games NOT SEEM LIKE 3rd PARTY MULTIPLATFORM GAMES. Sure the casuals will ignore it but the hardcorist that remember will eat it up.

Biggest Surprises Of E3:

Viewtiful Joe.
Thank you Capcom. The movies of VJ look incredible. This game really is revolutionary. Just download the movies and hands on. I'll say this a second time..can't wait till the GCN Preview Disc. VJ may not sell with the casuals but the large group of old schoolers on the GCN should make this game a sneak hit. I hope the demo disk sales this game to an otherwise thinking crowd.

Billy Hatcher.
Sega's Yuki Naka has got a little gem on his hands. The movies look fabulous and the hands on made me want this game. It may not sale well but at least maybe the playable demo on the preview disk may help.

MGS3.
Man Konami knows the PS2. Only Polyphony Digital and Square know it better. This game will be huge. Makes me want to get a PS2 but there's other games to be had. Another price cut and this'd be the first game I'd get.

Other Noteables:

MK:DD seemed to be a big hit with everyone at the show as was Halo 2 creating a buzz but not being playable was a let down. Same for Doom III and RE4. Conker being XBL makes me want to go get an XBL Kit but it looked like a DC game.

Fable has now moved to my most wanted XB game list. This thing better be good. Crimson Skies is now my most wanted flyer (yes over RS3 imo).

GTA4 blew me away but man at the hours Polyphony must be putting in to get a PS2 game to look better than a XB or GCN game. It'll pay off for them I'm sure.

Sphinx. It's for GCN and PS2. I'll refer back to my aobve statement about 3rd party games that done feel like them. This is another one.

Biggest Let Downs:

EAD. Not Nintendo as a whole but EAD. Where are these guys? Wtf are they doing? I'm sure it's Nintendo wanting to let their 3rd parties and 2nd parties shine. And imo they did but for EAD to be nonexistant is pittiful.

NST. 1080 Avalanche is all?

Rare. Piss poor showing imo. Not what I expected from one of the greatest dev houses on XB. It must be true about the talent that left. Looked like DC games. And where was PD0?

The Hobbit. Looked crappy and the hands on were not so good.

Namco. Starfox should look waaay better than that. There's no excuse except that it's waay early..is'nt it?

Also Zoonami was a no show with Gamezero. Come on. I want to see what that ex Rare talent is up to. And where was Free Radical thi year?

Overall

A good E3 for everyone. Not a great one but a good one. You know this by when you watch a mainstream news channel (Headline News) and all they talk about was Terminator 3 game. No Halo2 or the crowded LAN play at MK:DD. Nope it was all T3 like it was THE big thing. Man oh man!

Having said this I'm very excited about the rest of 2003 on into 2004. To tell you the truth I'm most excited about the GCN Preview (demo) disk than anything else. For Nintendo's first go at these, it actually will be a good one with FZero,BH,VJ playable and the GBA downloadables (very cool idea). I hope there are some interviews. There are supposedly some alot of movies as well. What's your E3 thoughts and most anticipateds?

Well since I just consumed such a massive amount of games, movies, interviews in the last few days, I don't think I can put them into a structured list like you did, but here's a few :)

The Good

- Castlevania for PS2 looked very good.. sort of DMC with a platformer feel.. loved the art direction too.
- Halo 2 was a no brainer :) Would have liked to see some XBL play though.
- Steel Batallion Online could be great, but details are sketchy, and from the movie, the environments look very neglected (although the game is still early, SB1 had very nice surroundings).
- MGS:TT looks cool, if I ever get employed and earn money, I would get this with a hypothetical GC. I'm one of those people who enjoy Kojima-san cutscenes :)
- GT4, like GT3, still looks like Real Life at first glance. I guess this is good? :)
- Again, D3 is great. Hopefully it'll launch for XB at Christmas time? Hopefully?

The Bad

- Ninja Gaiden was a letdown.. came off as Tomb Raider Gone Asian.
- I already mentioned MGS3 not doing it for me in other posts...
- Starfox 2 looked interesting until the trailer started talking to me as if I was a mentally challenged fourth grader. Sigh! "Hi everyone, I'm STARFOX!"
- Spawn comes off as a slower, DMC clone..
- Sega GT Online still LOOKS like Sega GT. Argh.
- Final Fantasy: CC. Just... wow.. blech blech and blech. I roll my eyes at the enevitable comparisons to the true-blooded FF games.
- The Rare games, heh!
- Matrix Online - HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

The Interesting

- Breakdown, but needs arm hair on the guy for fucks sake, or some kind of detail. I'd go crazy if I had to stare at that very boring, very one-coloured arm throughout the entire game, heh.
- SW KOTOR, sort of moved from 'good' to 'interesting'. In a holding pattern I guess.. might be having an identity crisis, being torn between ConsoleRPG and ComputerRPG.
- Fable.
- FZero.

The No Shows

- Stupid me, but I was quietly hoping Bandai/Banepresto would localize a Super Robot Wars game, what with 'Superior Defender' and all launching in the US soon.. but alas.
- The Killer Instinct game, which I expected to be Rare's 'secret' game, which ended up being Grabbed By Ghoulies, wtf :p
- Universal Century, when the hell will this game be finished?
- Shenmue 3 :p Oh think of the flames, the flames!!!

Game of the Show

- For me, probably Halo 2. It just looks like it takes everything that made Halo 1 so good, and cranks it up to 11.

I don't really care if a game was playable or not at the show, as I wasn't there to play 'em ;) 'Hands on' articles are usually poorly written and unbelievably diplomatic anyways.

I'm sure I'm missing a zillion games.. but thats what happens when you get a gaming overdose like this.

edit: God I've already edited this post like 3 times. LOCKING IT DOWN NOW! :p

Goldni, what the hell are you smoking man? F-Zero GX, a tired carbon copy of every lame futuristic racer is game of the show?

If Halo2 isn't the game of the show, then Half Life 2 certainly is. I myself have been complaining of Valve not doing anything significant since 1998, simply reselling the same HL mod pack over and over. Boy was I wrong. Half Life 2 LOOKS PHUCKING INCREDIBLE. Visually, Physics wise, Audio wise, animation wise, level design wise.

Frankly, I don't care about Doom3. It might have better lighting, but ID's history is one of sucking at game content design. Their games are just tech demos to sell their engine to developers.

MGS3 looks cool too. EverQuest2 is amazing, but no one will own a computer that can run it (aparently Verant doesn't either).

Dead or Alive Online of course is another positive. It will end the debates I've had in these forums about he "impossibility" of doing fighting games over the internet.

ahh for me, Silent Hill 3 is the most interesting looking game to come about in a looong time :D

come on, August!

DemoCoder said:
Goldni, what the hell are you smoking man? F-Zero GX, a tired carbon copy of every lame futuristic racer is game of the show?

If Halo2 isn't the game of the show, then Half Life 2 certainly is. I myself have been complaining of Valve not doing anything significant since 1998, simply reselling the same HL mod pack over and over. Boy was I wrong. Half Life 2 LOOKS PHUCKING INCREDIBLE. Visually, Physics wise, Audio wise, animation wise, level design wise.

Frankly, I don't care about Doom3. It might have better lighting, but ID's history is one of sucking at game content design. Their games are just tech demos to sell their engine to developers.

MGS3 looks cool too. EverQuest2 is amazing, but no one will own a computer that can run it (aparently Verant doesn't either).

Dead or Alive Online of course is another positive. It will end the debates I've had in these forums about he "impossibility" of doing fighting games over the internet.

demo, could you elaborate on your HL2 experience, plz. does this puppy really have that much scene geometry and unique textures for each place in the scene as it seems from the shots? what was the game run on (aside from what we know about it being run on an ati r350)? - are they really saying the truth when claiming so low hw requirements? and how is the lightmapping? - have you been able to notice any inadequate lightmaps as that seen on one of the (early?) screenshots?

DemoCoder said:

But the guy (you know who) said that it is limited only to intra-country, not inter-countries. You in US can't play it with a guy in Japan.

But let's see if they are really able to pull it off. As a DOA fan, I am only waiting for its offline part (although I'll still buy it if it is only online).

Halo2, Ninja Gaiden, Fable showed that there isnt only one console with untapped powers. ;)

Halo2 = console GOTS
HL2 = PC GOTS
MS = MEOTS (main event of the show! :LOL: )
PSP = SOTS (surprise of the show.... :oops: )
Nintendo = YOTS (yawn of the show. :p )

This sux, I think I am beginning to lose interest in gaming. I tried to look forward to all the games in E3. But in the end, I was kinda bored with all the games that was shown.

Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 should have get me excited about gaming with all those insane graphics, but in the end they are all FPS, a genre that never "click" with me. Though I'll always tries to play new FPS, hoping I'll like one of them.

Then there is GT4 with its new wheel and 100 tracks. I've been playing alot of racing game seriously for the last 15 years or so, competiting with friends and stuff, but beginning of this year, I think I had enough of this genre. I was hopping GT4 was gonna revive it, but not at this point.

Then there are Sonic Heroes, Billy Hatcher, Jak 2 for 3D platformer, one of my favourite genre, but looking at these games made me realised, I think its time for me to find a new favourite genre.

Then there are games like B&W2, Fable, BC, Ninja Gaiden, that I was interested last years, but they've just took too damn long to come out, and my interest have withered since.

Then there is the suprises MGS3, attention to detail is amazing in MGS2, this one is no different. But unless this one play like Contra, I think I might skip it all together.

My GOTS: Super Mario Advance 4. I guess I've been waiting for this for awhile, about time, it made a showing.

But overall, nothing really ground breaking shown in this E3, just more of the same. I think I am going to go back playing Beatmania again.

I had more fun with Beatmania, more than any other recent games, not many games can be played with eyes close and still enjoy it immensely. :D

Tons of software for just about everything except PC

Hmm, in my opinion its completely the other way around. Of all four plattforms (PC;PS2;XBOX;GC) PC clearly had one of the best showings: DOOMIII,HL2,PIRATES,KOTOR,JK3,SWGALAXIES;Full Throttle,UT2K4,EQ2,THIEFIII,DeusEXII,etc. etc..

I was pleasently surprised with the Half Life 2 videos.

Got a big OMFG out of seing Freeman throw a radiator into the face of bad guy with that grav. gun.

Can't wait for that game.

Cheers
Gubbi

HL2 most impressive for me by miles as well. :)

Haven't been this excited about a game in a while.

MuFu.

For the record: I am not a PC gamer, but HL2 makes me thinking about to get one of those 400 bucks agp cards. The physics, the scale and the resulting gameplay is rendering me speechless. That means a lot from a person, that hates first-person-shooters.

DemoCoder said:

F-Zero on the SNES was the original "lame futuristic racer".

And none of the WipeOuts quite reach the sense of sheer speed that F-Zero X achieved on N64.

AND F-Zero GX looks to be another huge leap up from F-Zero X.

And to top it all off, F-Zero series has no weapons at all; to attack other vehicles you have to ram them, which is often VERY risky.

No nico, No ffxii, No xenosaga2, this e3 wasn't so good....

Best of the show IMO were: MK:DD, and F-zero... second runners: HL2, Halo2...

Well, at least I hope next yr's e3 makes up for it... next gen. consoles, psp, ff remakes, new zelda...

MGS3, I'm so excited of this game.
GT4, no racing game can top GT!
Half Life 2, a reason to finally have to update my 300MHz PII and TNT1 card?

Disappointments:
No 'NICO', no Final Fantasy XII, no playable Halo 2.

Back