DVD size limiting Project Gotham Racing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This place needs some bans.

This fanboy shit needs to be stopped.

Considering the op couldn't even be bothered to make a comment it's pretty obvious it's just a troll.

It's unfortunate, and highlights how close to DVD threshold some developers really are.

But it sounds like they've come up with a pretty good solution, as developers tend to do.

Agree with both statements, really.

This place needs some bans.

This fanboy shit needs to be stopped.

Considering the op couldn't even be bothered to make a comment it's pretty obvious it's just a troll.

No, this is making information known. The original poster might know that this would be a topic that would interest many of us and simply let known that the PGR4 developers have to work around storage space limitations to get the results they desire. Which is an interesting fact.

No, this is making information known. The original poster might know that this would be a topic that would interest many of us and simply let known that the PGR4 developers have to work around storage space limitations to get the results they desire. Which is an interesting fact.

which is why he bolded the sentence of a dev running out of room for loads of textures then ran off which is the same thing hes done in his threads about BD superiority PR. (which he was given a vacation for by the way) He clearly cherry picked something because of his bias. The quote itself is nothing shocking, DVD doesnt have enough space for multiple versions of the same gigabytes of textures over and over again so they found a work-around, woopie! That so deserves attention.

Dont be obtuse tuna, check his post history.

It is hillarious that the people that complain about PS3 games being nitpicked and use rolleyes to look innocent yet they nitpick xbox360 games like it was alright. Anything negative about PS3 games is equal with being a troll or nitpicking but the reverse is not true... so sad.
how is this different? something somewhat negative was posted about PGR4 and i see a lot of people saying PSman is trolling. its the same on both sides of the fence my friend, don't just think its PS fanboys.

Obakan: I would say some of your posts on PS3 game threads are rather trollish, so don't be too smug.

SugarCoat: I suggest reading the article again. They didn't work around the DVD limitation, as there will still be no night/day track variants. They will instead offer fixed time-of-day, but variable lighting depending on weather.

Is it a workaround? Its still day (or night for some cities) with different weather conditions isn't?

i dont understand why your trolling is even tolerated. Infact i think everyone who makes their forum handle something like "xbot" "nintendude" or "playstationfornicator" should be banned on site since more often then not these people carry a bias agenda, like your fine self. Your post history consists of spreading the delusional, unquestionable, glorious PS3 superiority that only really amounts to you saying "xbox sucks, PS3 is the best". You add nothing to this community. Thats my thoughts.

Please explain, how am I trolling:rolleyes:

All I did was trying to contribute to the community by posting some gaming news that's all, sorry if it offended you.

Stay on topic please

I think everyone should take a step back and chill out. PSman didn't go and put a negative spin on X360's DVD limitation.

If the dev wanted to they could always release the game on multiple discs or online.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's alot of good discussion to be had over the issue of DVD limits. In fact, we've already had a whole lot of it. More often than not, these discussions sort of stalemated as we aggreed to wait for a concrete example of a game being limited by the space.

This appears to be one such example.

Regardless of motivations of the OP, the topic itself has potential for discussion.

Unfortunatly, this particular subject is also a lighting-rod for console warriors.

There's already a handfull of decent posts in this thread. I'd love to see it pruned and perhaps some warnings be handed out....

A lot needs to be known in order to properly discuss this case. I think it should also be noted that there is really never going to be a general conclusion on this issue, or there shouldn't be at least. Sticking with only DVD had both positive and negative sides to it. One can site early cost as a benefit, another person can site limited data in a single disc as a negative. But really depending on your needs either issue can be considered minor or major.

By the sounds of it I think PGR4 uses a method that is bad for data usage conservation. The way the textures and light model work simply require large sets of data in order to reach the goal. There might be better ways (though again, what are the trade offs to those, time possibly, etc).

It all leaves me to say that if you're going to talk about the DVD decision then you must do it within the context of a particular game. Therefore anyone making general statements that it was either good or bad... or wrong or haven't considered all possibilities.

Please explain, how am I trolling:rolleyes:

All I did was trying to contribute to the community by posting some gaming news that's all, sorry if it offended you.

Stay on topic please

Your intentions are pretty obvious given your post history, but I agree with you. People needn't be so sensitive to this, it's a fact that the DVD solution has limitations. Also, like Crayon said, this is really the first time a developer has stated they had to make sacrifices to fit everything on a DVD, so it is definitely discussion worthy. Luckily for us, the sacrifice is fairly small.

MS had no choice in the matter to include a HD-DVD drive the launch would of been delayed a year and added 200+ dollars to the cost of the machine. A 360 launched fall 2006 at 599 would of gotten its ass handed to it. MS had no choice it is time to move on. The only reason sony put blue ray in was to push its movie format. Maybe if MS had a movie studio it might of made sense to put in a HD-DVD drive but to eat money for extra storage would of been stupid.

I wonder were all these people were when it was the sony brand holding back game development last gen.

Given all the data that they take for this and at the detail in which they do it isn't surprising. Most of vistas of games don't have such high quality buildings and such. Besides, you can only compress textures so far, PGRs don't have hardly any voice acting in them. This is probably an isolated event.

SugarCoat: I suggest reading the article again. They didn't work around the DVD limitation, as there will still be no night/day track variants. They will instead offer fixed time-of-day, but variable lighting depending on weather.

What you just described is a work around for providing different versions of the same track, they themselves called it a work around.

I think there's alot of good discussion to be had over the issue of DVD limits. In fact, we've already had a whole lot of it. More often than not, these discussions sort of stalemated as we aggreed to wait for a concrete example of a game being limited by the space.

This appears to be one such example.

Regardless of motivations of the OP, the topic itself has potential for discussion.

Unfortunatly, this particular subject is also a lighting-rod for console warriors.

There's already a handfull of decent posts in this thread. I'd love to see it pruned and perhaps some warnings be handed out....

I dont see this as a good example at all. Again we're talking about gigabytes of textures for the same maps, it is not a shock they can hit a space limitation. Dont tell me people honestly suspected that a dev couldnt fill up a DVD?

And PSman starting a meaningful non-bias zero agenda thread is like George W Bush starting a world peace organization. This thread had one purpose and was started poorly if you wanted to see an actual discussion result, thats evident by the ignorance in the very first reply which is exactly the type of trash the OP was made for. I dont see any value in this thread. I'd even go so far as to guess the OP doesnt own a 360, would never buy one, and doesnt give a damn about PGR4. As someone already posted, this is a copy and paste from a troll post at another forum.

Again a dev filling up a DVD isnt a shock, and any discussion highlighted as microsoft bringing down the quality of games is trolling garbage. What honestly could be the outcome of this thread posted in the game section? Certainly not a technical discussion, its in the games section! The main result of this thread would be rival fanboys bickering back and fourth about the PS3 allowing for greater and better games and the other side saying no thats not the case DVD is still a viable storage media and great games can come. /Thread summation.

Forgive me for not enjoying PSmans spouts of fanboyish crap and obvious agenda that is way below the standard of discussion that i hold the forums here at B3D to. I think this community is better than that.

I think it should also be noted that there is really never going to be a general conclusion on this issue, or there shouldn't be at least.

Bam. Right there.

It's becoming clear that there are some things that cannot be done with a DVD. This is obviously a sore spot for some. There are going to be games that cannot be all they can be without a bigger disc.

That, however doesn't get into the real meat of the argument:

"How does one compare the things you can't do on a DVD, and the things you can do on a DVD?"

More storage has some obvious benefits, but there are so many areas where current games can be improved upon that I question it's importance. Animation, storytelling, control schemes and online integration are just some areas I can think of that are due to make vast leaps over next few years and they have nothing to do with having a bigger disc. While there are obvious benefits to having a 50gb disc to work with, more textures and voice over and video are are no more likely to push game design into the future than other improvements. And most of the improvements I dream of have little to due with vast quantities of texture maps or multiple language voice tracks.

I think everyone should take a step back and chill out. PSman didn't go and put a negative spin on X360's DVD limitation.

If the dev wanted to they could always release the game on multiple discs or online.

Innocent until proven guilty.

PSman had 2 red bars next to his name before reputation was given up, his proven guilty allready ;)

...Much anger...

This news about PGR4 is the first really solid example of a studio making cuts specifically because the starage limit. It is worth discussion. I'f you'd cool off and read the thread, there are already some worthwile posts here.

Again, regardless of PSman's personal biases (which I assure you, are not unknown to the majority of us) , the origional post is perfectly straightforward and even-handed in it's own right.

If you don't think it's worthty of discussion, I suggest you not post in it. Perhaps you can even add PSman to your ignore list. I'm not stoked to be giving you advice on how to post, but you are seriously disrespecting some basic forum rules of conduct. Specifically; talking abuot the poster and not the topic.

I've been known to throw a few stones, myself. So I have no expectations regarding your taking my advice But I've said my part and I hope it helps!

Eh, there is a admin afterall who's orginal handle was Xboxdestorya. But yes, in this thread alone there are clear cases of trolling and bias (the worst combination).

xbdestroya - let's get it right Skyring, or suffer the consequences. :cool:

@SugarCoat: Ironically I understand your reasoning SugarCoat - but the fact is that you should try to put the name of the poster aside and focus on the content; looks can be deceiving sometimes. If someone named "Sega4Ever" joins this place, and their posts are quality - well, that's what counts.

Anyway... all that aside I agree that this thread is quite clearly baiting in nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back