Rockstar's next franchise to be PS3 exclusive

I'm wondering who the studio is. I doubt it's Rockstar North. Most of the other Rockstar studios are pretty busy, but Rockstar Toronto hasn't done much since shipping The Warriors.

If it's not Rockstar North then I really don't have much faith in the potential of this new IP..

At least untill I see what it is however..

I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar North (AKA DMA Design) wanted to start a fresh IP.

They have been doing GTA for a long time.

I agree though, that if it isn't a new IP from Rockstar North, I doubt it will be very good.

I guess Sony realised belatedly that it wasn't such a good idea to let the (timed) exclusivity of GTA walk past them, and they're trying to make amends for it in some way now.

Good snag for Sony, with all the success Sony's given Rockstar over the years, I guess it's about time they returned the favour.

LA Noire does appear to be exclusive, http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=169462, but it isn't anything to do with the announcement Sony made.

I'd always thought there was a really strong possibility it would be (after Rockstar took it on); especially with Brendan Mcnamamaneeee (or whatever his name was) at the helm. But multi-format publisher usually = multi format release.

But I still wouldn't wager any money on it yet. The C&VG article isn't as forthright as it could be.

I'd always thought there was a really strong possibility it would be...

But I still wouldn't wager any money on it yet. The C&VG article isn't as forthright as it could be.
It was originally a PS3 exclusive IIRC. Then it became multiplatform when Sony 'dropped it'. Now it's exclusive again? I can't see a financial reason for that, unless Sony have changed their minds and are putting money back in. Wasn't it a $50 million deal for three titles or somesuch?

It was originally a PS3 exclusive IIRC. Then it became multiplatform when Sony 'dropped it'. Now it's exclusive again? I can't see a financial reason for that, unless Sony have changed their minds and are putting money back in. Wasn't it a $50 million deal for three titles or somesuch?

I agree, I can't see any reason either - that's why I'm not taking the C&VG article posted by DJ12 as confirmation of anything.

Yeah, it was a Team Bondi developed game. And I think Team Bondi were headed up by Brendan Mcnamara(?) who was closely linked to the original Getaway and they'd inked a 3 game deal with Sony only to be dropped later. Again, this is all from the top of my head.

Even if Sony have changed their minds it's still Rockstar publishing.

I just did a quick Google. http://teambondi.com/ - they have some vacancies posted only yesterday but, unsurprisingly, they give nothing platform specific away.

EDIT: On the website LA Noire is listed for "Next Generation Consoles" - now I know some sites are woefully out of date but seeing as a job ad was placed only yesterday...

Rumour has it Rockstar aren't too pleased with Microsoft and are regretting doing a deal with them. (something about the delay for GTA being due to the fact they cannot get it to fit on a DVD9 and are having to delay both versions because MS contracted in the agreement that the 360 version must be available when the other version is and a tool to aid compression won't be ready until next year)

Still, ol' Bill has nothing to worry about unless LA Noire or this new "franchise" is being done by Rockstar North.

Rumour has it Rockstar aren't too pleased with Microsoft and are regretting doing a deal with them. (something about the delay for GTA being due to the fact they cannot get it to fit on a DVD9 and are having to delay both versions because MS contracted in the agreement that the 360 version must be available when the other version is and a tool to aid compression won't be ready until next year)

Nothing personal, but thats the dumbest rumour i have heard all day.

Il tell you why, Rockstar freaking loves dealing with Microsoft. They got paid $50 million, which is 2x what the entire GTA4 is going to cost to make, for 2 DLC packs.

It would be like me giving a waiter a $50,000 tip, but i ate 3 appetisers instead of just 1, thus more work for the waiter, so he hates me now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Still, ol' Bill has nothing to worry about unless LA Noire or this new "franchise" is being done by Rockstar North.

quit reading ridiculous Anti-MS blogs for your "news" :rolleyes:

try this instead

or even this

I doubt that he know much more, than "Anti-MS blogs".

So you think its remotely possible, that R* a company owned by Take 2, a serious corperation, is mad at Microsoft, for basically giving them $50 million in order to port a game over to the X360?

Why? Because according to some blog, the PS3 version is ready (yet no gameplay has been shown from PS3), but the X360 version doesn't fit into a DVD9, so they have to wait with releasing it until sometime next year?

(Which would only mean, higher PS3 userbase = more people to buy their game)

How much do you think R*\Take Two is going to loose because of this delay for the PS3 version? Remember, this is how much they are going to loose because they aren't launching during the holiday season (but take into consideration that the userbase will be bigger after the delay), not how much GTA4 could potentially sell.

Do you think that number is a lot lower than $50 million or a lot higher?

quit reading ridiculous Anti-MS blogs for your "news" :rolleyes:

try this instead
So, MS pay all that money, yet Rockstar are contractually oblidged to not release the game without it being released at the same time on PS3.

I would think that is ridiculous to be perfectly frank, especially considering one of the rumoured reasons GTA4 wasn't exclusive for a time anyway is because Sony wasn't actively seeking any exclusives at the time because Kutaragi wasn't prepared to make deals.

No different between reading ridiculous blogs and ridiculous speculation from some analyst at any rate.

Back