Has anyone else had a pet bitten by viper?

I was walking out today with my dog when she burried her nose in something and jumped back whining. Went over to look and a full grown European Viper sat quite annoyed at the edge of the walking path. First i thought it hadn't actually put any poison in her (my dog) since they may often lunge if threatened but not to kill. Carried her home though and she's kind of big so that was tough, but then she started swelling. Rushed to the vet and they gave her drip, antibiotica and some other thing i keep forgetting what it is. The swelling went down in about 3/4 of an hour. Got me in high gear and now i don't feel so good. Just wanted to tell someone, talking makes it better.

Anyone else had their pet bitten by a viper? Have any experience with them and should i keep worrying even though she seems fine now?

Any reply would be much appreciated

Hmm, I'm not sure how common vipers are in my area, I tried researching their geographic range though. My cat has never seen the outside, therefore she's never had the opportunity to be bitten by anything venemous....yet. European vipers have a rather distinctive look, and I was about to ask you how you were so certain of the identity. What did your vet say? There's a number of health issues, obviously, that can result from viper bites.

No pets here, but my aunt was bitten by a viper, the same species you mentioned. We got her to the hospital on time, so nothing bad happened but it was scary.

No experience, but I can tell you this - I don't think you'll have to worry about your dog getting bitten anytime soon again. It'll stay well clear of vipers from now on!

There is only one type of viper in Sweden (and only three kinds of snake).

Which reminds me that we saw a black snake in Gränna crossing the road. It was very pretty, but I had no idea what kind of snake it was. Length was probably about 60cm. I have a picture, but since there aren't that many kinds of snake in Sweden as you say, you can probably tell me what it was?

Which reminds me that we saw a black snake in Gränna crossing the road. It was very pretty, but I had no idea what kind of snake it was. Length was probably about 60cm. I have a picture, but since there aren't that many kinds of snake in Sweden as you say, you can probably tell me what it was?

Almost certainly a (European) viper - they can be black as well as patterned.

Almost certainly a (European) viper - they can be black as well as patterned.

Indeed! I found it on this sheet about Swedish wildlife and protection:

http://www5.o.lst.se/projekt/frida/pdf/620-6242-5.pdf

Thanks! Was my first guess, but my girlfriend didn't believe me, and she considers herself quite the nature buff. :D (though to be fair, her expertise is plants) I took a nice picture which I will post when I get home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reply would be much appreciated
From what little I know it's apparantly rare that humans die of viper bites. Dogs being smaller in body mass might be more affected, it's hard to say. It depends on body chemistry also of course.

Mongoose are pretty much immune to cobra venom I believe so maybe dogs are more tolerant of that of vipers. I really have no idea. But since you got your pet to a vet that should probably mean she's out of danger now. :)
Peace.

As luck would have it she is recovering just fine, but i was a wreck for 42 hours. European vipers have a very distinct look, with a sort of zigg zagg pattern on their back and a W or V on the head. They can also be black in some cases or brown. They usually don't attack unless they are caught off guard of cornered, id say it was caught off guard. What really scared me was the swelling she got from the bite. Luckily she didn't have any shock from the encounter or anafalactic(?) shock from the bite.

They have really weak venom and it's very non toxic so it doesn't produce any necrosis in 90% of bites. only really dangerous if you're allergic apparently, or a child or elderly person. Well, i was scared shitless regardless. I have alot of respect for snakes.

Wow Snakes On A Lane

Lol

you wouldnt expect there to be any snakes in sweden as its a bloody cold country
in britain i know we have the adder, im not sure if its poisonous though as ive never eat one.

you wouldnt expect there to be any snakes in sweden as its a bloody cold country
in britain i know we have the adder, im not sure if its poisonous though as ive never eat one.

Lol, I always find it funny how Brits always think the British Isles are located somewhere very, very close to the equator.

Chances are good you live in a place with colder summers than large parts of Sweden.

:oops:

For your information Sweden will become the next Italy and Brittain will sink when the greenhouse effect really kicks off! HA!

Joking aside Sweden isn't really that cold, then again, i prefer cold snowy weather to cold damp and rain sludge weather if i have to make a choice. Looking out today we have an average of 20 degrees C and i live far up north. And the sun isn't even out. Sweden has the largest vipers on average in europe too, but they sleep far longer then in other countries hehe.

My dog seems almost completely well now, appart from some pain in the nose.

I think that the Adder and the European Viper are one and the same species.

Adders rule, beautiful creatures. I've only seen a couple, they're quite rare here mainly due to habit loss. They need to be treated with due respect though!

Good to hear your dog is ok.

Never had a dog bit myself, but I have seen many dogs protect children from mocassins and rattlesnakes.

Here in Florida we have:
Southern copperhead
Cottonmouth (Water Moccasin) - nasty little bugger
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
Timber Rattlesnake (or Canebreak Rattlesnake)
Pygmy Rattlesnake
Eastern Coral Snake

Many different non-poisonous snakes as well. (over 20 different species)

I always remind new neighbors (especially ones new to Florida) to call me if they see a snake versus killing it, most of the time they are harmless and I catch and release.

I know not to play with the bad ones.

I have alot of respect for snakes, i love them. But i would think twice before i move somewhere with really venomous snakes. I think the only other snake we have in sweden is (picks out lexicon) Grass Snake and a lizard people mistake for a snake :p

I respect all animals (all but mosquitos... darn things) and enjoy our wildlife here. Ran into an Elk a month ago with my dog. Kind of cool considering i only live a few miles (english) from town in a suburb. So animals i encounter, and respect; Because really i am the one in the wrong place at the wrong time, not them.

Many different non-poisonous snakes as well. (over 20 different species)
Hee Hee. The great advantage of living in Australia is that if you see a snake that is brown or black, you can pretty much assume it is venomous :)

I just wondered if sweden has a native species of parrot like norway ?
If Sweden is warmer than Norway, would it be a different colour?

Back