Xbox360 $50 price cut August 8 rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the BDSP-300 or whatever is a 499.99 MSRP, I dont see it shifting a whole lot of units at discount oriented Target.

Target is kind of a yuppy hang out now in my area, the people that refuse to shop at Walmart. I did buy a $600 PS3 at one and they do sell >$1000 HDTVs, so I think your assumption is wishful thinking. Not to mention it's more of a physiological win for BD, shoppers will associate HD movies with the name Blu-ray, it's irrelevant where they buy it and Sony knows this.

This alleged Wal Mart circular was just posted at GAF as allegedly more confirmation

rollbackyo2.jpg

This would appear to indicate a cut across all sku's, as that's the premium.

they're advertising Madden with it so it would make some sense why they're doing the price drop now. It might be possible that there will be another price drop in a couple months to counter what sony or nintendo do.

50 bucks is 50 bucks.It's better than no price drop at all :)That 50 bucks can go for a game or an extra contoller or a 1 year subscription for XBL.

I think it is complicated for MS. They feel their console is a straight up match for a ps3 and right now they have a lot more software so between 360 and ps3 there is no need to drop the price. On the other hand they (and sony) found out the hard way that outliers drive the industry (something Nintendo has known for years--go cheap, try crazy shit, hope something catches on, don't put all your eggs in one basket). Sony and MS both created giant all purpose machines who are not only competing with Nintendo but also with Charter and Comcast and DirecTV. To fight off Nintendo in the games space MS needs a wicked price cut. To fight off Sony they just need to win the PR war. Sony is ironically in an OK place right now for stealth swiss army knife living room domination. They have BR, and by pricing their console in crazy land to begin with they have created a perception that it is an amazing machine.

It is a shame MS is now basically conceding to Sony and Nintendo. A 50 dollar price drop after 2 years is beyond weak and almost worthless. I would not be surprised if this was the last console MS has made. A 50 dollar drop is meaningless it does not get them to 199 or 299 with the core and premium were they need to be to get some casuals. I see MS slowly losing ground to sony early next year and getting crushed xmass 08. This was it every thing came together and MS chickened out and back out at the last second. This was the one last chance MS had to cement NA against sony and they just lay down and die. They had to completely bury sony this fall because come 2008 sony will be the ones with the game line up. I guess 599 will be the new standard for new high end consoles since MS just let sony off the hook.

well, nothing has been confirmed yet, we are not even in August!
lets see what actually happens before crying ;)
if their market share comes behind SCE i think they should just make console softwares for SCE and Nintendo consoles :smile:, their hardware is disappointing.

This alleged Wal Mart circular was just posted at GAF as allegedly more confirmation

rollbackyo2.jpg

This would appear to indicate a cut across all sku's, as that's the premium.

The only oddity I see in that picture is the prices are all in the format:

57.99 (with cents being small)

while the 360's price is

$349

You'd think they would keep a consistent standard throughout their entire brochure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hows this for weird, Sporks at GAF is claiming he has an ironclad source, that the premium will drop 50 but the Core and Elite sku's will drop less than 50 (he didn't say how much).

More stupidity from MS I guess if true. Or an attempt to highlight the premium.

If it is true and I had to guess it'd be 269.99 Core and 449.99 Elite.

How can a $50 price drop be a bad thing?
People are just mad at MS for not lowering it "more" but who says that this is the only price drop they will make this year?

A $50 price drop pre Falcon-revision is interesting. MS testing the waters here and remember that Halo3 will ship sep 25 and as you all know, Halo3 is what they call a system seller.

So if MS can sell a slightly cheaper hardware and lots of it thanks to the power of Halo3, then it will help with the profit/loss margins..

MS will have more headroom for price drops once the Falcon-revision is out on market (the 65nm based machine). I think that we can expect another $50 drop before years end.

But still...
How can a $50 price drop be a bad thing when we have Halo3 around the corner? Maybe the next price drop is before GTAIV is released..

Some people needs to chill immensivbly...

How can a $50 price drop be a bad thing?
People are just mad at MS for not lowering it "more" but who says that this is the only price drop they will make this year?

A $50 price drop pre Falcon-revision is interesting. MS testing the waters here and remember that Halo3 will ship sep 25 and as you all know, Halo3 is what they call a system seller.

So if MS can sell a slightly cheaper hardware and lots of it thanks to the power of Halo3, then it will help with the profit/loss margins..

MS will have more headroom for price drops once the Falcon-revision is out on market (the 65nm based machine). I think that we can expect another $50 drop before years end.

But still...
How can a $50 price drop be a bad thing when we have Halo3 around the corner? Maybe the next price drop is before GTAIV is released..

Some people needs to chill immensivbly...

It's a good thing but, now I cant believe there are rumors it's not even $50 across all sku's!

That's pretty cheap, if true. When many people were complaining that 50 was not enough, including me.

And while I wish to believe a second cut is coming this year, I rather doubt it.

If the price drop on the Core were smaller but it was bundled with a wireless pad and a memory card, it would still make the Core a much more attractive package than it currently is (compared to both itself and the Premium).

The Wii, all PS3s (20, 60 and 80GB ) and the 360 Elite and Premium all come with a wireless controller and storage factored into the price. The Core is the only "this gen" system that lacks these, and it contibutes signifiacntly to it being such an unattractive proposition. Perhaps MS will attempt to redress this also rather than simply cut the price.

If the price drop on the Core were smaller but it was bundled with a wireless pad and a memory card, it would still make the Core a much more attractive package than it currently is (compared to both itself and the Premium).

The Wii, all PS3s (20, 60 and 80GB ) and the 360 Elite and Premium all come with a wireless controller and storage factored into the price. The Core is the only "this gen" system that lacks these, and it contibutes signifiacntly to it being such an unattractive proposition. Perhaps MS will attempt to redress this also rather than simply cut the price.

If they start changing SKU things will get ugly, they already will have four SKUs on the shelf before anymore changes. Maybe they can offer a web based rebate though.

If they start changing SKU things will get ugly, they already will have four SKUs on the shelf before anymore changes. Maybe they can offer a web based rebate though.

I disagree, SKUs don't need to be locked in stone and changing them doesn't need to be a big deal. Plenty of successful systems have altered the mix of what goes into the box, from the NES and Playstation through to the Gameboy Advance and DS.

Take adding a memory card to the Core pack - you could put it inside newer boxed units, and bundle it with existing packs that are already out there with retailers. It's not difficult or confusing.

Web based rebates don't have the impact that better offers at retail have.

I disagree, SKUs don't need to be locked in stone and changing them doesn't need to be a big deal. Plenty of successful systems have altered the mix of what goes into the box, from the NES and Playstation through to the Gameboy Advance and DS.

Take adding a memory card to the Core pack - you could put it inside newer boxed units, and bundle it with existing packs that are already out there with retailers. It's not difficult or confusing.

Web based rebates don't have the impact that better offers at retail have.

I dont see the big deal. PS2 never included any memory card or storage. Nor did Gamecube, PS1, Saturn, N64, etc etc. It's standard practice not too.

Sure it would be nice if they included a card, but that's just a $30 accessory. And they'd rather make the base price appear lower by not including that. Standard operating procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back