PS3 Firmware Update 1.90

To be fair though, Resistance and Ninja Gaiden are the only ones available in Europe anyway, as far as I know ...
Yeah, except for The Darkness, which I forgot to add. And now Heavenly Sword. There aren't that many games out now anyway, but for everything that comes out there is a high chance that there will not be a demo here. This can go no other way but grow into a ginormous pile of stuff the locals can't access without a fake account, unless SCEE mans up.
There are online retailers operating on German soil for a German audience that can, without any legal problems, flog "adults only" material directly from their website, simply by putting the "dangerous" material behind a barrier that you can only pass by age verification. SCEE shirley can do the same, if they only wanted to. I'm happy that they still publish the games here, but that doesn't make my version of the PSN any less of a wuss-out.

Hmm... people are reporting that in addition to XMB messaging within web browser, you can now access the same thing within the media players too (i.e., viewing/playing pictures, slideshows, videos and music).

I thought someone mentioned that you could now type directly into the white text boxes on websites, but I can't get that to work yet myself. Does anyone know?

However, a number of things do seem to be changed. When using a keyboard, Enter now just gives a new line and I don't have to use Alt-Enter to prevent the window from closing immediately. Instead, it seems I need to use the pad's Start button to stop typing.
Also, I think the maximum number of characters that you can type in this window has been greatly increased. I have tried maxing it out by typing lots of enters and rubbish, but it just kept on going. This is a good thing, because it was preventing me from using the PS3 browser to post. The keyboard, therefore, goes back into the PS3 now and can hang around in the living room again for a while. :)

Anyway, long live these updates. Will be interesting to see where they will take us eventually ... imagine where it could all end up after, say, five years. ;)

Yeah, the official release note indicated that the editing is in-place though I am too busy to try. :(

EDIT: I am editing this post from PS3. Arwin is correct. There is no in-place editing support in the web browser. I wonder what's up with the release note :(

As for XMB access within web browser, photo, slide show, music and video playback, it has been there since 1.70. I used it often to multitask between these media players and web browser. People who reported it recently just didn't try it until now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else getting the three beeps and reboot of the system when exiting Folding@Home with this new update? Has done that every time I've closed it now.

It happened to me a couple of times, it beeps an reboots. Seems mostly fine now.

I didn't notice anything else with the update, but background image support requires some smart darkening for bright images.

Yeah, the official release note indicated that the editing is in-place though I am too busy to try. :(

EDIT: I am editing this post from PS3. Arwin is correct. There is no in-place editing support in the web browser. I wonder what's up with the release note :(

As for XMB access within web browser, photo, slide show, music and video playback, it has been there since 1.70. I used it often to multitask between these media players and web browser. People who reported it recently just didn't try it until now :)

What? I just tried to view a video on the XMB while on the browser and it politedly asked me whether I would like to close said browser. I know you can listen to music while browsing, but it once crashed my ps3 so I haven't done it again.

Anyways I've been playing with the wallpaper feature and I like it. I'm using the face shot of Kai for now and it works perfectly. It's dark enough that everything is legible and the face is just right of the icons you scroll down so it doesn't get in the way. It just looks beautiful. But this brings me to my problem. I had a folder on my pendrive called wallpapers with images to use for that. And when I copied it to the ps3 it sent them to the July folder that had all my pictures. I'm really not liking the way the ps3 sorts pictures. I wanted to copy the whole folder to a folder named wallpapers on the ps3, is there a way to do that? Right now I'm stuck with wallpaper pictures mixed with my real ones and I'm not pleased (probably should have waited till August to copy them, what a lame system). Seriously am I missing something? How did they not think of this? Anyway any help would be appreciated.

ps3 crashing with 1.90

great -

i just updated to 1.90, and now my ps3 keeps crashing when running folding at home.

i can't restart it from the controller either, must hit the power button on the console to get it going again.

it's never crashed before.

anyone else seeing this?

What? I just tried to view a video on the XMB while on the browser and it politedly asked me whether I would like to close said browser. I know you can listen to music while browsing, but it once crashed my ps3 so I haven't done it again.

You cannot play XMB video and web browse (or play music) at the same time. But while you're playing video, you can go into XMB and start the messaging mini-app to send and receive mail.

You can listen to music while browsing, or playing slide show. I have tried this many times via DLNA, RemotePlay.... have not encountered any crash yet.

But this brings me to my problem. I had a folder on my pendrive called wallpapers with images to use for that. And when I copied it to the ps3 it sent them to the July folder that had all my pictures. I'm really not liking the way the ps3 sorts pictures. I wanted to copy the whole folder to a folder named wallpapers on the ps3, is there a way to do that?

Not that I know of. I can only use the foldeer structures provided by XMB (e.g., Dates, Artist Name, Genra, ... depending of media types).

Right now I'm stuck with wallpaper pictures mixed with my real ones and I'm not pleased (probably should have waited till August to copy them, what a lame system). Seriously am I missing something? How did they not think of this? Anyway any help would be appreciated.

The other way is to use DLNA, which allows a more flexible folder structure (even custom ones). However I have not tried using DLNA pictures as wallpapers (e.g., What happens if it takes too long to load the picture remotely).

altmiket said:
great -

i just updated to 1.90, and now my ps3 keeps crashing when running folding at home.

i can't restart it from the controller either, must hit the power button on the console to get it going again.

it's never crashed before.

anyone else seeing this?

I only tried folding very briefly twice after the 1.90 upgrade. Nothing extraordinary happened (I proceeded to download Heavenly Sword). You're not the first one who complained about the Folding @ Home. So something fishy is going on. My guess is they will follow up with 1.91 to resolve these issues.

The new update is pretty cool. I need to play with the video settings and get the best output for my set but that's not a big deal. Always fun to have options to play with.

The steaming stuff seems to actually pick up my data from the PC which it didn't before. I haven't turned on my PS3 for a while so I'm pretty sure I missed a couple of updates in between. However, it's slow to roll through and display the pictures. I'm just using WMP11 like I do with my 360 for streaming.

The PS store is dog slow. I fired it up today just for the HS demo. Started at 7:15pm and now at 12:34am it's at 68%. Not exactly making me a happy camper......

All in all, the update is a sure step forward.

One thing they should do is eliminate the excessive folder when viewing media content. Example: under pictures it still shows the music and video folders but if you browse them, it'll come back in "no xyz." I can see how this would confuse people so they should trim it down to where pictures only shows the pictures folder, music = music and video = video.

One thing they should do is eliminate the excessive folder when viewing media content. Example: under pictures it still shows the music and video folders but if you browse them, it'll come back in "no xyz." I can see how this would confuse people so they should trim it down to where pictures only shows the pictures folder, music = music and video = video.

This is a Media Server issue. I believe the TVersity guys said they are going to address it.

Back