Your help for a friend's 360

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
My friend purchased a 360 some months ago and I would really appreciate if you could help me with some questions.

1) My friend doesnt have broadband connection (or any internet connection currently). So as you understand there are tons of demos he would like to try but he cant. Since I have broadband and would like to help him I wondered if there is any place I can download 360 demos, put them on a mem stick or external HDD for him and then transfer them to his 360. I would also like to know if I can do the same for a firmware update for his 360.

2) Another issue my friend has is that in the media menus there is a mem stick option available to transfer photos and music on the 360 but the same option seems unavailable for videos. He wants to transfer videos on his 360'S HDD. How can he do that via a mem stick or external HDD? This interests me as well in case I get a 360

3) Since I am going to purchase a next gen console "soon" but I am still undecided, are there any online multiplayer games that a PS3 owner and a 360 owner can play together? I am asking this in case I end up with a PS3 and my friend finaly gets broadband to play online as well. We would love to play together online.

Any help is appreciated :)

1) My friend doesnt have broadband connection (or any internet connection currently). So as you understand there are tons of demos he would like to try. Since I have broadband and would like to help him I wondered if there is any place I can download 360 demos, put them on a mem stick or external HDD for him and then transfer them to his 360. I would also like to know if I can do the same for a firmware update for his 360.
yes for firmware (www.xbox.com) and no for demos. You can buy the Official Xbox Magazine and it comes with a disc with a few demos on it.....most from the marketplace and a few that are only available on the disc.

2) Another issue my friend has is that in the media menus there is a mem stick option available to transfer photos and music on the 360 but the same option seems unavailable for videos. He wants to transfer videos on his 360'S HDD. How can he do that via a mem stick or external HDD? This interests me as well in case I get a 360
No, you can burn a cd or dvd with .wmv video files and play them that way.

3) Since I am going to purchase a next gen console "soon" but I am still undecided, are there any online multiplayer games that a PS3 owner and a 360 owner can play together? I am asking this in case I end up with a PS3 and my friend finaly gets broadband to play online as well. We would love to play together online.
None that I am aware of though that might change in the future.

No, you can burn a cd or dvd with .wmv video files and play them that way.

Does this mean I can also transfer them from the disk to the 360 HDD to play them without a disk inserted? Or is that a no as well?

My friend purchased a 360 some months ago and I would really appreciate if you could help me with some questions.

1) My friend doesnt have broadband connection (or any internet connection currently). So as you understand there are tons of demos he would like to try but he cant. Since I have broadband and would like to help him I wondered if there is any place I can download 360 demos, put them on a mem stick or external HDD for him and then transfer them to his 360. I would also like to know if I can do the same for a firmware update for his 360.

It would be SO much easier if your friend brought his 360 to your place and accessed Live using your Internet connection. Once updated and in the marketplace, he or she could daisy-chain downloads to their heart's content. ;)

Does this mean I can also transfer them from the disk to the 360 HDD to play them without a disk inserted? Or is that a no as well?

Unfortunately no. I should add that with the dashboard updates applied you can read music, pictures and .wmv video files from a disc in the drive, a USB key or USB HD as well as via streaming.

You can only rip audio CD's to the hard drive using the DVD drive.

As someone else suggested, have them bring it over and plug into your broadband, let them get all the updates and then queue up a few demos to download. Once they have a few downloads they can take it back home and play.

Here's another alternative that I had to do before I got broadband access. If you have computer with dial-up access to the Internet, then connect it to a network(Ethernet hub, switch or router). Then you can connect your Xbox 360 to the network and get on Xbox Live using a free Silver account. You just to need to setup your computer to use ICS(Internet Connection Sharing). Like I said, I did that until I was able to get DSL and it worked fine for dashboard updates, backward compatibility updates and small content like themes and gamerpics(though a little slow). Here are some links to help with getting it setup.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126/

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics.htm

As for demos, I agree with with tcrews and highly suggest a subscription to OXM(Official Xbox Magazine). I have one and it's like $25 for 12 issues/disks a year(http://www.oxmonline.com/). IMHO that's a great value. The disk has demos, videos, backward compatibility updates, free themes and gamerpics. That should suffice till he's able to get a broadband connection. BTW, tell him the September issue(#74) should be on newsstands pretty soon and it has an exclusive demo of Beautiful Katamari and exclusive subscriber-submitted gamerpics.

Tommy McClain

Thanks guys for all your are help

It is highly appreciated :D
I ll suggest him again to bring his 360 to my house although he didnt feel like it before because he is a little worried in case something happens to his brand new 360

What could possibly happen to it?

Fact: robbers don't shoot you over a 360. You need a PS3 for that to happen. Telly our friend to relax. :cool:
Peace.

Thanks guys for all your are help

It is highly appreciated :D
I ll suggest him again to bring his 360 to my house although he didnt feel like it before because he is a little worried in case something happens to his brand new 360

put the Xbox in a laptop bag, bring cables + controller in another bag\purse\whatever. Put this into a car, drive, park car, hook it up....

No offence, but your friend is a moron.

put the Xbox in a laptop bag, bring cables + controller in another bag\purse\whatever. Put this into a car, drive, park car, hook it up....

No offence, but your friend is a moron.

I think you are a little harsh with him. :p

The thing cost him around $540, worked hard for it, it's been ages since he bought a console(his last console was a Saturn), it is heavy, big and not used to such a high tech piece of equipment. It is both expensive and a huge jump when it comes to complexity compared to what he had previously. He is just not used to it yet. He needs some time to get accustomed to it and it's functions.

So I think it is natural that he prefers safety for his console. And I think it is also because there isnt much room where I am going to place it if he brings it over my house. So he is a little worried for scratches, dirt, or an accidental fall or hit.

i would definitely recommend him to get a gold live + broadband connection if he can.
360 without live is kind of ps3 without blue ray drive; the core component of 360 i would say is LIVE service ;)

Back