google sketchup

nobond

Newcomer
google sketchup is based on opengl, isn't it?
Any guess there will be a google-gl or google-dx API rising out of the water?

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean like Google would create some form of graphics API that would compete with GL and DX? In that case, no way.

SketchUp does use OpenGL and like Humus I don't know why they'd want to create a 3rd API. I doubt it will happen.

Yes.
I am just new HW guy to this field.
Looks to me all the HW are based on GL and DX. Are you saying that GL and DX are all very well established and widely accepted by the industry, so google does not stand any chance at all ? Or there are some other funny reasons?

You mean like Google would create some form of graphics API that would compete with GL and DX? In that case, no way.

OpenGL and DirectX are extremely well established in the market. Not only that, but you'd have to have a very good reason in order to spend the resources in order to create your own API. There is no reason for Google to create their own API, there are none financially that I can see for Google to do so.

I don't see how they could even if they wanted. How's the API going to interface the OS? Who's going to write drivers for it? And what advantage would such an API provide to google?

But they wouldn't need to write their own 3D API, they could just use OpenGL or DirectX (which they already do).

AdWords generated on-the-fly in a shader unit? MSAA patterns that contain subliminal advertising based on a context sensitive analysis of the image being generated?... :LOL:

looks like the openvg spec are written by the google guy ... ...
Dan Rice, who used to work at Sun but, yes, now works at Google, is the editor of the OpenVG spec, but contributions to the specification have come from numerous companies. There is a list of the participants towards the end of the specification.

Back