Dynamic power save/clock speed adjustment queries.

Who decides what speed the CPU should run at at any one moment in time?

When clocked at max speed (3.46GHz) and setting the min speed to 5% (standard setting) in the windows power savings control panel applet the CPU generally downclocks to 1.6GHz and no further.

What puzzles me however is the rules - or rather total lack thereof - that seems to govern how the CPU behaves. The clock speed often swings wildly between 1.6-3.46 for little to no apparant reason such as when performing very light windows tasks such as openign or closing a program or scrolling a web page.

This despite the task doesn't occupy mire than a fraction of a single core even att lowest clock speed!

What is worse is that I've seen the CPU running apparantly locked at 2.7GHz despite all four cores are fully loaded! (7Zip benchmark). This meant the PC was performing quite a bit below maximum performance that I've measured in 7Zip, so it didn't limit itself because it was stalled waiting for memory etc.

ALSO... I've noticed it doesn't always bump up to maximum speed in games either! It often stops at 2.7GHz and won't revv up any more. This means I can lose as much as 40FPS in Painkiller!

Not much to fuss about perhaps when the game's already running at around 150-200fps much of the time, but when I try to use it as a system stability tester (while tweaking) I want it going full bore, with no hesitation! :D

So the dynamic clock speed throttling aspect of either the OS or the CPU seems completely screwy/borked. I've now turned it off, but I'd like to have it enabled as my CPU runs much cooler at 1.6GHz when just idling or doing almost nothing.

It'ss ummer now and my place gets REALLY hot with all these gadgets running. I don't need any mroe heat if I can help it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences please! :cool:
Peace.

I can't share my experiences, cpu throttling doesn't work with my system... :(
You could try RightMark's CPU Clock Utility for more controls, that's what I use to keep my laptop running smoothly.

yes, rightmark.org is the way to go
For example I had set not to increase cpu clock unless its loaded 60+% and it barely goes above 800Mhz (AMD Sempron cpu)

Clockspeed alone does not determine power usage. There is a voltage decrease that accompanies the clockspeed decrease to produce the desired power usage.

As for the CPU not ramping up to full clockspeed under load - in such cases it is best to simply disable the power saving utility altogether. After all, you're looking to get the most performance out of your CPU at this time, so why limit it?

Back