inno3d 8800gts vs 7600gt

PKT74

Newcomer
I need some help please!
I`ve just upgraded from a Gainward 7600gt 256mb to a Inno3d 8800gts 320mb and i`m dissapointed.
Using the FEAR (v1.08) built-in test (1440X900, everything turned up to max) the 7600 had an average fps of 22.
These are the results using the 8800gts:

Min 15fps
Avg 28fps
Max 47fps

44% under 25fps
45% 25-40fps
11% over 40fps

Are these figures normal for an 8800gts or is there a problem in my setup?

My system:

Pentium D820 2.8ghz
MSI MS-7255 P4M890M-L motherboard (2 mem slots)
1gb 2X512mb Swissbit PC2-4300 DDR2
Jeantech 700w psu

I`ve tried the different drivers that were on the PCF coverdisk, no better.

Are there different speed PCIex16 slots, or are they all the same speed?
According to SiSoftware Sandra:
PCIe Capabilites
Version 1.00
Maximum Payload Size 128
Width x16/x16
Speed 2.5Gb/s / 2.5Gb/s

If it`s the system memory holding it back (not enough? not fast enough?) what would happen if i put 667mhz or faster in my mobo, which according to the website is limited to 400-533mhz? Would it still work, albeit at 533mhz? I don`t really want to buy more 533mhz memory, just in case i ever upgrade the mobo.

I`m sure there must be a serious bottleneck somewhere, because the 8800gts is supposed to be a really fast card!

Thank you.

CPU is pretty slow and you may be doing some disk swapping with 1 GB RAM.... FEAR isn't a game that can take advantage of a dual core, so you've basically got a 2.8 GHz Prescott there.

That change in average frame rate is a 27% improvement, btw.

Start enabling various levels of AA to see some actual benefits. It seems like you are CPU limited.

A strange thing! In Call Of Duty 2, at the start of the Demolition level, where you`re standing on crates the 7600gt has 30fps but the 8800gts has only got 13fps.
Also in FEAR, on the first level just after you get out of the car and smash through the boards the 7600gt has 25fps but the 8800gts has 8fps. When i escape into the

Performance option menu (don`t change anything) and then come back to the game the fps goes to about 20. It does this at other times as well in FEAR, whenever the framerate

drops down i go into the menu, come back and it goes to about 20.
If it was the CPU bottlenecking, the 8800 should at least get the same fps as the 7600 or am i wrong?
Could it be a driver problem (i`m using 158.22) or a hardware conflict? Would re-installing Windows help? I`ve tried all manner of different settings (AA, NVidia display
panel, etc) but i can`t fix it.

Please help.

Reinstall drivers, make sure you completely remove the old ones.

Try a different power supply... JeanTech.. umm doesn't sound even remotely quality.

Re-installed Windows (XP, by the way). Still the same.
The power supply is brand new. Here are the specs:
700w
Sli/Crossfire
Efficiency 80%
+3.3V 28A
+5V 30A
+12V1 16A
+12V2 25A
+12V3 17A
-12V 0.5A
+5Vsb 2.5A
+3.3V&5V 180W

All i`ve got in the case is a hard drive and DVD writer, no other cards, so i can`t see that the PSU is overly stretched, also the Inno3d 8800gts only requires 25A (according to the website).

Unfortunately i don`t know anyone else with a modern computer so i can`t try the card in a different setup.

Are there any known issues with D820`s and 8800gts?

This is driving me (literally) mad!

A strange thing! In Call Of Duty 2, at the start of the Demolition level, where you`re standing on crates the 7600gt has 30fps but the 8800gts has only got 13fps.
Other than the "its a driver bug for the 8xxx series" i saw this with ATI cards too, the newer card can use, better/does use better , IQ with out changing a thing. So maybe your IQ is much better and it runs slow because of it? Id say 8xxx dirver bug tho...

karlotta, can you explain it for me please? IQ?
Thanks.

Image quality, the graphics being displayed are of better quality.

Again, the power supply only has 25A on the rail and you could be using all of that, IF the power supply is supplying that. The importance of a high quality power supply must be stressed.

Anyway, try an older (say a month or two) driver and see if that changes anything.

Installed a new E6600 cpu. Much, much faster than the d820. I had no idea it was that slow.
FEAR built-in test now has an avg fps of 66. Playing the game i get frame rates up to the v-sync (75), BUT there are often times when it still goes to sub 10 (always in the same places, not even particularly detailed places), go into menu, come out, shot up to 40+ at the same place. Very strange. Also COD2 still underperforming compared to 7600gt.
I`ve also got a new Gigabyte mobo, so i`ll give that a try.
BTW on the latest Forceware drivers.

The forum ate my post...

I said something the other day about F.E.A.R. running very poorly with only 1GB of RAM with anything but low settings, no matter how fast your video card and/or CPU.

davros, i will do some benchmarks but i need to try and sort out why the 8800 is still very slow in COD2. I haven`t tried the new mobo yet.
I`ve been playing FEAR today and it is much smoother than the 7600gt with the new cpu, apart from the odd times when it drops framerates (go to menu to fix it etc). It seems to happen, although not always, after the
hard drive has been accessed (hitching?). Maybe more memory would solve it.

davros, i will do some benchmarks but i need to try and sort out why the 8800 is still very slow in COD2. I haven`t tried the new mobo yet.
I`ve been playing FEAR today and it is much smoother than the 7600gt with the new cpu, apart from the odd times when it drops framerates (go to menu to fix it etc). It seems to happen, although not always, after the
hard drive has been accessed (hitching?). Maybe more memory would solve it.

The games you are mentioning all want more than 1GB system RAM in order to avoid paging.

Back