Peter Moore Steps Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, very very surprising indeed. Very sad to see him leave.

I'd like to see him again in this kind of events:

1160597481_XCN_X06_Photo_Peter_Moore.JPG

He managed to create a pretty decent console for its time and I must add that I'm sure the console launchday had been rushed through without proper testing of the hardware. It looks to me that it's not his fault but Microsoft's (business things).

Anyway, I wish him good luck at his new job and all of his future endeavours.

That would be relevant if it was Moore's decisions that lead to the reliability issues with the 360.

Was it though?
Peace.

I'm a bit indifferent. I will forever remember him as the guy who unveiled the Halo 3 Xbox 360 to a stunned audience.

Good.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was semi-forced out as a result of the game division missteps lately. No doubt the 360 has been in a malaise lately, and perhaps someone was on the chopping block.

He was a charismatic guy, but interviews with him never revealed he had any particular incite into what it takes to make a console successful, imo. Rather he seemed simply a ho-hum manager, rather than a man with a vision.

The hardware problems may have nothing to do with Moore, but also MS first party has not been very aggressive imo in pushing the system graphically, which is beginning to cost them as Sony unveils titles like Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet, GT5, and Heavenly Sword, MS has nothing so epic, flashy and ambitious.

If he had anything to do with the aggressive schedule then yes.

Uhh, the "aggresive" schedule likely had nothing to do with it. Sounds like sour grapes for being beaten to market.

Bad design, cheap components, yes.

Anyways MS is always the target of reliability accusations. Remember Xbox 1? A very reliable console but there were always accusations (disc scratching and the like). A lot of people just hate the company microsoft.

The fact is MS is damned if they do, damned if they dont in many ways.

My 360 has gone for service once. Took 1.5 weeks and is free. I'll take that minor inconvenience for an extra year of gaming in 2005-6 any day, quite frankly.

Uhh, the "aggresive" schedule likely had nothing to do with it. Sounds like sour grapes for being beaten to market.

Bad design, cheap components, yes.

Anyways MS is always the target of reliability accusations. Remember Xbox 1? A very reliable console but there were always accusations (disc scratching and the like). A lot of people just hate the company microsoft.

Poor MS, always the target :LOL:

Sour grapes? I don't work for Sony and I probably had a 360 before you (and it still works!) But I'd prefer they were 3-4 months later for launch to get a quiet DVD drive and an internal power brick (and better reliability). They were so scared of a PS3 spring launch, all for nothing.

Wasn't he more sales though?

It seemed like the bald guy and Bach spearheaded the development of the X360 and then after the first couple of E3s, they brought Moore in and he was more of the salesman.

Allard moved on to Zune didn't he? Finally remembered his name.

And Bach was promoted to take over the whole entertainment and home division or something, which was charged with new projects like the Zune.

Poor MS, always the target :LOL:

Sour grapes? I don't work for Sony and I probably had a 360 before you (and it still works!) But I'd prefer they were 3-4 months later for launch to get a quiet DVD drive and an internal power brick (and better reliability). They were so scared of a PS3 spring launch, all for nothing.

Well, it was Sony that was dreadfully late.

I dont think the dev time of 360/PS3 was any different. PS3 was rushed to market in a way, Sony just was a year late getting started. That's to be expected, they had the PS2. Whoever has the dominant console doesn't want the gen to end and must get pushed in by the other guy (for PS1 it was Dreamcast that did the pushing). Either way it always strikes me that Sony is reluctant to do new hardware.

Looking at the internals one might surmise PS3 was rushed..it has an off the shelf GPU for example, where 360 has a planned custom solution that was years in the planning.

Remember Xbox 1? A very reliable console but there were always accusations (disc scratching and the like). A lot of people just hate the company microsoft.
Hum.. I remember it being a bit of a firestarter actually with power supply issues and a recall where they mailed out what looked like ground-fault breakers to their customers! :LOL:

That doesn't actually inspire confidence IMO..

And those early thompson DVDROMs were legendary for breaking down as well.
Peace.

Hum.. I remember it being a bit of a firestarter actually with power supply issues and a recall where they mailed out what looked like ground-fault breakers to their customers! :LOL:

There wasn't an official announcement until early 2005, and even then, the problems weren't as widespread IIRC. Microsoft recalled a lot of the power cords just to be safe though.

edit: some info - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7519

I am bummed I liked peter moore he seemed to do a great job getting 3rd parties on board. I thought he has done a solid job so far. Granted the whole 3 rings of death sucks but out side that the 360 has been a great platform.

Well, it was Sony that was dreadfully late.

I dont think the dev time of 360/PS3 was any different. PS3 was rushed to market in a way, Sony just was a year late getting started. That's to be expected, they had the PS2. Whoever has the dominant console doesn't want the gen to end and must get pushed in by the other guy (for PS1 it was Dreamcast that did the pushing). Either way it always strikes me that Sony is reluctant to do new hardware.

Looking at the internals one might surmise PS3 was rushed..it has an off the shelf GPU for example, where 360 has a planned custom solution that was years in the planning.

The PS3 was only delayed due to the lack of blue lasers for the Bluray.
Also the Cell was in research and development years before M$ lifted a finger on the 360. The only thing planned for the 360 was ATI's Xenos GPU. The Xennon CPU was basically something modified off the shelf from IBM...

Hum.. I remember it being a bit of a firestarter actually with power supply issues and a recall where they mailed out what looked like ground-fault breakers to their customers!

That doesn't actually inspire confidence IMO..

And those early thompson DVDROMs were legendary for breaking down as well.
Peace.

Never had any of those problems with mine. Weird..:LOL: How about yours? :LOL: I dont think you owned one for some reason just guessing :LOL:

There wasn't an official announcement until early 2005, and even then, the problems weren't as widespread IIRC. Microsoft recalled a lot of the power cords just to be safe though.

edit: some info - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7519

Yeah I remember ignoring that recall and my house never burned down oddly enough

Anyways, going from head of MS gaming to head of one of four EA divisions must be a step down for Peter, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems Peter has never been that succesful.

Head of Reebok global marketing sports marketing..Hmm, Nike owned them.

Head of Sega America..nuff said.

Seems Peter has never been that succesful.

Head of Reebok global marketing sports marketing..Hmm, Nike owned them.

Head of Sega America..nuff said.

How could you not consider his work at Microsoft successful? Sure, the $1 billion warranty fiasco was not great, but placing the blame solely on him would be very incorrect. He was certainly part of the decision but there were a number of people behind that. He was also part of what has become a gaming power in the console market, while no clue how far the Xbox 360 will get this generation you must certainly admit it is doing much better than last generation and offers just as much of a gaming experience as any other console on the market.

I'll be curious to hear how his tune changes with regards to the other platforms (*cough* PS3 and Wii *cough*) and see if the XBox or Live service get any preferential treatment moving forward. He seems like a pretty platform agnostic guy that has never been too religious about the whole thing. I think he should participate in Sony's E3 conference next year bustin' a Madden 09 tat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back