[PSN] Noby Noby Boy

Definetly werid. Never seen anything like it before. I guess the only thing even close would be FlOw. But that you only had to control in 2D.

Did anyone get why they wanted to make the circle?
Takahashi says "Let's cooperate to make N" but the translator mistook N for "en" (circle in Japanese) and said "circle" even though Takahashi repeatedly corrected her.

He says interaction between two "boys" is not yet working correctly in this development version. He emphasizes players can imagine what they can do, I guess that's the point of a world driven by physics simulation.

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of game eventually comes out of this. Looks like it'll take a little while yet though. :p

Do you think they have based the game engine on the Katamari one or made a new one? Reason for asking would be it's physics implementation. If they added an extrenal physics package like Havok or Ageia to their Katamari engine (I dunno if it can be described as "his" engine for "his" games if it is at all) or made an entire new engine with physics being the core. I liked how it looked even though it was rather simple, especially the rope like effects on the "boys".

In such a "simple" looking game, if it continues to look single shaded and simple as development progresses, i think shadows/light and physics would be the most important visual aspect to focus on.

New Interview by Eurogamer

Noby Noby Boy's Keita Takahashi
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/noby-noby-boys-keita-takahashi-interview
Noby Noby Boy is an interactive playground where players control both ends of a stretchy character called BOY and just fool around, interacting with the structures and bizarre inhabitants of randomly-generated maps. All the BOY-stretching done collectively by all players across the PlayStation Network is reported to a GIRL in space, who grows in turn, connecting the Earth to the Moon and Mars, and opening up new environments to explore.

(mods: please change "Nobi Nobi" in the thread title to "Noby Noby")

Yeah, it's out tomorrow, isn't it? At least in Europe, but I assume everywhere.

I still don't understand the gameplay.

Did you read the eurogamer review? I though this section made a good attempt at explaining what goes on (uhh, that is, never having played it myself :oops:. I really want to though :yes:).

You might think that, without objectives or rewards and with no sense of progress, time spent with Noby Noby Boy would soon become aimless and boring. You would - wonderfully, surprisingly - be wrong. By giving you such limitless possibilities, such an improbable plaything and such an anarchistic playground, Noby Noby Boy inspires creativity, curiosity and simple, careless glee.

Playing, I found myself content to noodle around with the game for hours, deep in its ridiculous world. I made my own games, set my own challenges. How many things can I eat relative to how long I am? How many people can I persuade to ride my back? Can I topple that superstructure? Can I turn myself and a couple of trees into a catapult? Can I thread myself through every hole in that giant frame? Can I string myself around skyscrapers like a washing line? Can I lasso the clouds?

The game's a riot! I must say I would welcome some kind of missions, but on the other hand everything's just so wacky that you'll easily lose track of time just fooling around. I mean, which other game lets you EAT the help texts?

The biggest negative for me is the camera, which is a bit poor.. or rather just a weird implementation of one.

The game's a riot! I must say I would welcome some kind of missions, but on the other hand everything's just so wacky that you'll easily lose track of time just fooling around. I mean, which other game lets you EAT the help texts?

The biggest negative for me is the camera, which is a bit poor.. or rather just a weird implementation of one.

There's actually a surprising amount of depth to the camera, which can add greatly to how you play the game, and what you can do in it. You can lock your head down holding L2, use L1+D-pad to lock the camera on the butt. Tie your butt in a knot around a tree or other fixture, and then switch the camera to the head and begin to rally up objects like houses and clouds around the level and bring them into one big chaotic mess.

:)

Very strange game. At first glance it doesn't seem like much of a game at all.

But whenever I turn it on, I end up playing it for hours. And I don't understand why.

I bought the damn thing. It's a doodling pad. :)

How do I eat something and catapult them ? The manual doesn't quite say (or I might have missed it).

The camera is indeed deep but too complex and clumsy for my taste. Not that it really matters. I probably won't bother learning it. There's no objectives anyway, will just let the Boy run loose while I ponder over work related challenges.

I bought the damn thing. It's a doodling pad. :)

How do I eat something and catapult them ? The manual doesn't quite say (or I might have missed it).

The camera is indeed deep but too complex and clumsy for my taste. Not that it really matters. I probably won't bother learning it. There's no objectives anyway, will just let the Boy run loose while I ponder over work related challenges.

You eat by tapping L2. You Poop by tapping R2. That part is explained in the help menu/tutorial.

What it might be very clear about is that you have to be a certain size to eat certain objects. The more you consume, the bigger you grow.

At first you are very thin and can stretch only about 100m. Also you can only eat very small objects like small fruits maybe some small children. After a short while you will be big enough to eat full size people and bigger objects. Also you will be able to stretch even longer.

After playing a good while you will be able to eat cars helicopters even small houses. I don't know what the max limit of how long you can stretch is. But some people have been able to stretch past 600m. Problem is at those lengths the creature becomes totally unmanageable. And the maps are too small to play with effectively.

I didn't realize I'd enjoy a virtual toy set. Turns out to be a fun and relaxing experience just experimenting with silly things and seeing what a "new map" will bring. :smile:

Controls and camera are ok for me, although repeatedly tapping L2 and R2 to fly is tiring. (There are details to the controls and camera that the tutorial didn't mention, but need to found out.)

I didn't realize I'd enjoy a virtual toy set. Turns out to be a fun and relaxing experience just experimenting with silly things and seeing what a "new map" will bring. :smile:

Controls and camera are ok for me, although repeatedly tapping L2 and R2 to fly is tiring. (There are details to the controls and camera that the tutorial didn't mention, but need to found out.)

You don't have to tap anything to fly - just push forward on the analogue sticks for each part. It flies whenever you touch the analogue sticks - and stops when you let go.

You eat by tapping L2. You Poop by tapping R2. That part is explained in the help menu/tutorial.

What it might be very clear about is that you have to be a certain size to eat certain objects. The more you consume, the bigger you grow.

At first you are very thin and can stretch only about 100m. Also you can only eat very small objects like small fruits maybe some small children. After a short while you will be big enough to eat full size people and bigger objects. Also you will be able to stretch even longer.

After playing a good while you will be able to eat cars helicopters even small houses. I don't know what the max limit of how long you can stretch is. But some people have been able to stretch past 600m. Problem is at those lengths the creature becomes totally unmanageable. And the maps are too small to play with effectively.

Thanks for the info (I thought I tapped L2/R2 furiously but nothing happened. Probably too big to eat). I tried to grab the clouds once it got too long, but it's hard to control. Should have a FPS view so I know when to dive into the donut hole of the cloud.

What generated the :love: icons ? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Back