Why is it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people here love exhotic, revolutionary and promising cpus maybe tired of the slow advancements in the pc cpu world. And in the last two generations Sony has leaded that segment.

PlayStation has given me years of fun, and the X360 hasn't really brought anything new to the table. Even now, the more innovative games are on the PS3 (ie. LBP).

Then Im really Genesis fan. If you owned an x360 then you would have had years of fun on it by now... I understand your contention but sometimes statements like this are just silly. I love the way LBP looks too... but i havent played it so i cant say how innovative it really is... and neither can you. Crackdown was innovative. Graw was innovative. Gears was innovative. Hell geometry wars was innovative... and I can and have actually played all those. We're still waiting on LBP to arrive.

Yeah I don't think it's really fair to pigeonhole the x360 like that at all. Making a statement saying it doesn't offer anything innovative isn't going to leave a very good impression and will only perpetuate stupid flame wars.

I find it ridiculous that some people get so worked up that other people get excitement out of a particular game. There are clearly people from all sides going into threads with an agenda to put a damper on a thread and frankly it makes me sick. If it bothers you so much that someone else holds a game more highly than you feel it deserves, then you need to take a step back and reset your priorities or something.

Moreover, can we please refrain from the whole "Xbot", "PSwhore" whatever terminology (including fanboy) because it seriously just takes down the whole conversation when such childish names are thrown about, even if it is just a general statement about a particularily over-zealous faction of people. I think these boards should be above that stuff, and its one of the reasons I come here because there is some semblance of reasonability here that you don't find in other forums.

I understand your contention but sometimes statements like this are just silly. I love the way LBP looks too... but i havent played it so i cant say how innovative it really is... and neither can you.
I disagree. Ingame co-op footage trailers, screenshots that show the art design and the unique concept of the game (user-generated content) show enough to call this a special game.

about the innovation issue:

i think innovation can be bad just as much as it can be good.

while you can almost factually call an innovative game original, the execution of the innovative idea is largely subjective.

I've always been a conservative hardcore gamer, bitching loudly when i hear about radical ideas, the underpowered ds, and the wii, for 2 examples.

Sometimes it is much better to make something already existing better than anything else before it.

Innovative ideas can be executed very poorly.

Hell, i have a shitload of innovative ideas for the industry, but everywhere i go, loads of people say they suck and that i'm a retard, which i am, but you don't insult someone for giving out their opinion, especially when it is intended for the good of others.

-------

about the power of the ps3 vs the x360:

The x360 is easier to program for, confirmed by pretty much every developer.
T
he x360 is not, however, more powerful than the ps3 can be potentially. i'd like to know one x360 iq feature/iq spec that's superior to any given geforce 7 iq feature/iq spec. the rsx, which is the ps3's gpu, is a geforce 7, is it not?

T
he x360 is not, however, more powerful than the ps3 can be potentially. i'd like to know one x360 iq feature/iq spec that's superior to any given geforce 7 iq feature/iq spec. the rsx, which is the ps3's gpu, is a geforce 7, is it not?

There are many.

Do a forum search on Xenos and enjoy the read ;)

Oh, and it's not because of MS's status as a corporation why I don't cheer for them, it's because SONY is like a 'first love' for me. PlayStation has given me years of fun, and the X360 hasn't really brought anything new to the table. Even now, the more innovative games are on the PS3 (ie. LBP).

Well if one can point to LBP as evidence of Sony having more innovative games then can't one point to a game such as Viva Pinata as proof to dispute that assertion especially since VP was given the "Outstanding Innovation in Gaming" award by Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences in 2006.

Maybe if you provided a more comprehensive list of available innovative PS3 games instead of a unreleased game that as of right now isn't even part of the PS3's library, your assertion would be credible to more B3D posters.

1 Part is Sony has a track record of releasing some really great games, more often then not as exclusives. The PS2 has too many like this to name so its worthwhile for any gamer to check out what they're working on thats new.

2nd part is Sony fans, especially on the lovely interweb where the immature and stubborn think anononimity is a free ticket to really push their views on everyone else, appear to almost be fanatical at times. This is thanks in no small part to the heavily bloated and boastful Sonys 2005 E3 PS3 event such as 2x the power of the 360, ability to power two 1080p sets simutaniously, only console delivering "true HD" with 1080p gaming, and more making these claims before they even knew what the hell they were doing. Many are still marching with the vastly superior machine/mindset flag into the console wars discussion making them look like a fools. A few of these people are even present in this very thread. This of course sparks debate. You can catch these automatons pretty easily on retailer websites as well that allow for product reviews where there are usually quite a few Sony loyalists posting reviews about how crummy the 360 is and how superior specifically the PS3s graphics are as a whole. It goes on and on.

As long as brand loyalty trumps common sense or open mindedness this will continue. In the end i cant help but feel somewhat ashamed at what consoles have really turned gamers into, if you can even call people who troll forums ready to defend and bicker endlessly, more so then they actually game, gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you remember which things particularly it won the awards on?

I am curious

Viva Piñata was nominated for 6 awards by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences for its 10th annual awards covering 2006,[19] the most nominations a Rare title has had since Goldeneye 007. Nominated categories included:

Console Game of the Year (Gears)
Outstanding Innovation in Gaming (Wii Sports)
Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction (Gears)
Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Female (won)
Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering (Gears)
Family Game of the Year (Guitar Hero 2)

The game was also nominated for "Best Original Game" in X-Play's "Best Video Games of 2006" awards.[20] Other accolades include a "Parents' Choice Gold Award" from the Parents' Choice Foundation.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_Piñata#Awards
http://www.interactive.org/awards.php?winners&year=2007

So it was nominated not awarded?

That would appear correct on all but the Outstanding Achievement in Female Character Performance award. Not that they stood a chance against a game that made complete use of the Wii-mote for innovation though and Gears on the visuals.

Howdy, Gents. It's mountain biking season. Not geting to read or post very much lately...

The PS3 thread are more numerous and float longer with more replies.

There's been some good arguments about the PS3 and it's software and it's business drama simply attracting more attention from B3D readership.

I'd like to add that the extended media backlash/fud warfare/viral marketering unleashed on Sony 2 years ago has finally got around to awakening equally nasty, but opposing tides of bullshit. It's troll heaven.

And I'd say the reason the PS3 threads so often bloat so quickly is just that: Trolling. We have a handful of regular instigators at B3D. Some of them post ALOT, and many are highly predictable. Ironicly, it whips the threads into huge self-sustaining crap storms that dominate the front page, obscurring some of the superior discussions.

There's several reasons to visit a forum like this one. I like it because I can converse with personalities. A wide variety of personalities with a tidy common interest to root from. Truthfully, I've grown to like (most of) the usual-suspect stealth trolls. I've been seduced into taking their bait on several occasions and things usually stayed reasonably civil. I've had more private messages with them, attempting to avoid bloating threads. I can respect the fact that they are people and they make up part of this landscape of voices that I like.

So PS3 threads bloat up and float with bickering and false information. It is what it is. And I say it's allright. Nobody forces me to read B3D, after all!

For those leaning towards the theory that it's the xbox 360 owners' "inferiority complex", "stealth trolls", and xbox owners invading PS3 threads that are the reasons for PS3 threads typically having more views, what is the reason that the Forza thread has the most views? For the same group of people, what impact do you think Sony's huge collective fan base has on thread views?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else find it ironic that the supposed thread interest in this forum is almost exactly the exact reverse of each console's sales? The Wii doesn't get as much mention here yet it outsells the PS3 and 360 combined more than 2-1 in some cases, i.e. Japan.

For those leaning towards the theory that its xbox 360 owners' "inferiority complex", "stealth trolls", and xbox owners invading PS3 threads that are the reasons for PS3 threads typically having more views, what is the reason that the Forza thread has the most views? For the same group of people, what impact do you think Sony's huge collective fan base has on thread views?

The Forza thread had alot of fun quasi-off topic bench racing going on. I got in on that! It was a big fun thread.

The effect of the huge collective userbase for Playstation products is -at best- very difficult to quantify. I'd say it equals more people typing "PS3", "Killzone", etc into google searches and stumbling on our musings. That would account for more views.

Do unregistered users count towards views?

well regardless
the PS3 threads have at least some X360 users posting in them to say that a game looks good.

Seldom do you find Sony people positng in a 360 thread to post good thoughts. It's like the great graphics on that system don't really exist to them. ;)

The Forza thread had alot of fun quasi-off topic bench racing going on. I got in on that! It was a big fun thread.

The effect of the huge collective userbase for Playstation products is -at best- very difficult to quantify. I'd say it equals more people typing "PS3", "Killzone", etc into google searches and stumbling on our musings. That would account for more views.

Do unregistered users count towards views?

I agree 100%, but surely it's easier to draw a correlation between page views and user base than page views and each posters' perceived intentions, right? Then there's the fact that this is a tech forum, and the PS3 has the most interesting tech, I bet that has an impact on page views. I just don't think it's fair to jump right to the "it's the 360 owners fault, they also smell bad" ( ;) ) reason when there are more reasonable explanations.

well regardless
the PS3 threads have at least some X360 users posting in them to say that a game looks good.

Seldom do you find Sony people positng in a 360 thread to post good thoughts. It's like the great graphics on that system don't really exist to them. ;)
i usually stay in the PS threads because i only own a PS3. you won't see me badmouthing 360 games, nor will you see me complimenting them. its not that i have anything against the 360, i just comment on what i'm interested in, and thats anything regarding the system i personally own. if i had all the money in the word, i'd buy a 360 too, but unfortunately for me, i don't make a whole lot of money and theres no big enough reason to justify purchasing one.

Well if one can point to LBP as evidence of Sony having more innovative games then can't one point to a game such as Viva Pinata as proof to dispute that assertion especially since VP was given the "Outstanding Innovation in Gaming" award by Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences in 2006.

Maybe if you provided a more comprehensive list of available innovative PS3 games instead of a unreleased game that as of right now isn't even part of the PS3's library, your assertion would be credible to more B3D posters.

I realise that VP was innovative in its own right, but they are not games that I enjoy - hence the reason I said PlayStation "provided me" with fun.

And with regards to innovation, I don't mean technological milestones or whatever, but I'm talking about fresh ideas, like EyeToy for example. The media is giving all this credit to the Wii for Wii Fit or whatever, but forget that EyeToy Kinetics existed long before it, encouraging gamers to get physical. Then there's SingStar. I don't think there's a game that can rival SoTC to me from the last gen, and knowing that somewhere along the line, they'll provide a similar (hopefully) experience on the PS3 gives me faith in the platform.

Remember the "Are PS3 dev's aiming higher?" thread by blakjedi? I see the same things in that SONY seem to try harder. They show their commitment by investing in the talent - not just securing exclusives from third parties. I've always been a big fan of SCEWWS, and now they're starting to show what they're really capable of! I don't want to start listing games, but just look at the talent - Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, SCE Santa Monica, Team ICO (when they finally take the lid off their next project!), Incognito, Polyphony Digital - the list goes on. These guys are the reason I favour the PlayStation so much.

I'm not trying to discredit the X360 or anything, I'm just stating why I'm a PlayStation fan. I also own an XBOX and will eventually own a X360 as well, but as far as first choice is concerned, it's my PlayStation all the way. I don't expect anyone to agree, after all, it's what I choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back