High Velocity Bowling

Todd33

Veteran
Banned
New videos:

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/907/907106/vids_1.html

Developer blog comments:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/06/12/infinite-monkey-theory/

It’s a pretty common misconception that High Velocity Bowling is Sony’s “answer” to Wii Sports Bowling. We came up with the idea of using the SIXAXIS controller for bowling on August 23rd, 2006 - I know the exact date because it was my birthday…Eddy Cramm (who is a Sr. Designer on MLB ‘07) and I had taken the day off to get a couple rounds of golf in, a rare luxury these days. Out on the course, we talked about using the controller as a bowling interface (we both carry 200+ averages in our current bowling league) and both loved the idea. He sent a text message to our studio director that night and my team (small, but dedicated) started work on it the next day.

Might be a fun "party" game for $10 on PSN and in HD.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how well they got it working. If it works, then that should at least alert developers to the fact that the PS3 can do this kind of thing (doesn't seem Fl0w or Super Rub-a-Duck got that message across ;) ), and it'd be very suitable to PSN downloadables.

Sounds fun!

I am a sucker for stuff like this on PSN/XBLA.

At those prices, it's no brainer purchases for me!

I can't imagine the PS3 controller being nice for this due to ergonomics. What might be really cool is a peripheral controller that's just a ball or something, for games that focus on motion? Would be cheap enough to make and make motion controller more like a Wii party experience - even simpler even then Wii.

I can't imagine the PS3 controller being nice for this due to ergonomics. What might be really cool is a peripheral controller that's just a ball or something, for games that focus on motion? Would be cheap enough to make and make motion controller more like a Wii party experience - even simpler even then Wii.

I kinda disagree there. It's much easier for instance to grab the PS3 controller especially in such a way that you won't accidentally let it go ... :D But I've also played tonnes of one-handed motorstorm with it. There's lots of ways you can hold it quite well. I guess though that much could depend on how big your hand is, I don't know about that. (My hands quite are big.)

That's not to say that the wii-mote isn't generally better to hold for this kind of thing though, especially the regular one-handed stuff. But if you have a game that requires tilt with two hands, the sixaxis has an advantage actually because you can easily controll every stick and button on the sixaxis, plus its tilt features.

Well anyway, for various reasons I'm really looking forward to seeing if this works out. I have good hopes for it. And yes, they could of course release a peripheral to go with it, but it may not be necessary.

This game is finally out in Europe and I've bought it yesterday, although it was late and I left it downloading (540MB) when I went to bed, so I haven't tried it yet. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I think it could be pretty fun with friends, and that's what I bought it for.

Yeah I got it. Seems slick enough but I agree with Shifty. The controller is fine to grip and move as if it's a ball but to click X or R2 and L2 (which you need for swerve) it's a little awkward.

Maybe it's because I wheeled my PC chair over to the TV to have a go but the motion sensing didn't work great for me either. My first shot was amazing - heightened because of the "immersive movement" I guess - but then I kept getting gutter balls. But that may have been because I was trying to do two things at once.

I'll definitely give it another go - I don't think I've really done it justice here. And yeah I'd imaging it's great to have a go with a few mates. Need to practice first so I can be all casual when I kick ass...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice little game, and its easy and intuitive enough to grip sixaxis pad. But I wonder why did they use R2/L2 buttons for a spin. Sure Sixaxis tilt sensors could take a spin from wrist movement?

Nice little game, and its easy and intuitive enough to grip sixaxis pad. But I wonder why did they use R2/L2 buttons for a spin. Sure Sixaxis tilt sensors could take a spin from wrist movement?

Yes, that should definitely be possible. Maybe during testing though they discovered that was too difficult for casuals, or there was some other problem?

Consistency. That was the only way for them to accurately judge the spin everytime. One of the devs talked about it on the forum.

This game was the first initial party hit when we got the PS3. All comers could pick it up and enjoy, while it still has a nice learning curve and it's hard to master.

Don't waste your time trying to bowl stright. You will need to learn to hook. Don't go for big monster hooks, unless you can hit the same spot everytime. It's easier to throw a mild hook from the right hand side and nail the pocket everytime.

I haven't played since they added the multiplayer portion. Which was GREAT. I assume thats what you have in the European version? I would def be down for some bowling action!

Back