New interview about Ps3 CM:Dirt

Interesting. He mentions that the reason the PS3 version is a little later is because they were implementing PSSG to get the best out of the platform and make the PS3 version better, with better framerates than the 360 version and 7.1 surround sound. They also support not only the G25, but pretty much all the older PS2 wheels also, which is great (for me anyway). He also mentions that a demo is coming out before the (possibly) september release date and interesting there is that he refers to cover discs specifically, so I think we can expect the return of the Playstation Magazine demo disc soon!

It will be interesting to see whether the better framerate isn't offset by reduced effects, but so far it sounds good and I'm happy I'll be able to play a demo, because as of yet I'm not sold on the game and demoes are a good thing anyway. ;)

It will be interesting to see whether the better framerate isn't offset by reduced effects, but so far it sounds good and I'm happy I'll be able to play a demo, because as of yet I'm not sold on the game and demoes are a good thing anyway. ;)
It isn't really that likely an engine based on Sony technology is going to run better on a 360 ;)

If I was Sony I would've deliberately put something in there to make it so the 360 version was hampered in some way :LOL:

I cannot watch the video at the minute as it's blocked on works firewall.

Well I'm not immediately convinced. The way they present it now, they just used PSSG and Sony's knowhow to make their engine run good on PS3 rather than develop an engine together with Sony that also happens to run good on PC/360. I know it was previously announced almost as if Neon was developed to a large extent by Sony 1st party devs, but I don't think that's the case.

Well I'm not immediately convinced. The way they present it now, they just used PSSG and Sony's knowhow to make their engine run good on PS3 rather than develop an engine together with Sony that also happens to run good on PC/360. I know it was previously announced almost as if Neon was developed to a large extent by Sony 1st party devs, but I don't think that's the case.

I still think this is a step in the rite direction from a 3rd party developer...

I still think this is a step in the rite direction from a 3rd party developer...

Of course, you won't hear me complain! Dirt sounds loads more attractive to me now than it did before, especially with the wheel support. I'm just saying that I'm going to reserve judgment until I actually see the game up and running. ;)

sorry, better than the 360 and I guess the pc...
watch the vid...

I doubt the PC because the PC's framerate is variable depending on how much power you through at it. Iys probably faster for a given amount of power (as would be the 360) but faster overall is different.

I would be very interested to know how both versions align to the graphics settings of the PC version. I.e. im pretty certain neither console is running at Ultra settings and I doubt they are running at high either, but what combination of settings are they running at??

Certainly a pair of 8800 Ultra's in SLI can probably achieve well up into the 80's at medium settings. Perhaps much higher.

On the other hand my GTS only manages to get about 30-40 fps with drops at a mixture of medium/high settings so getting it to run well on the PS3 at all will be quite an achievement!

I doubt the PC because the PC's framerate is variable depending on how much power you through at it. Iys probably faster for a given amount of power (as would be the 360) but faster overall is different.

I would be very interested to know how both versions align to the graphics settings of the PC version. I.e. im pretty certain neither console is running at Ultra settings and I doubt they are running at high either, but what combination of settings are they running at??

Certainly a pair of 8800 Ultra's in SLI can probably achieve well up into the 80's at medium settings. Perhaps much higher.

On the other hand my GTS only manages to get about 30-40 fps with drops at a mixture of medium/high settings so getting it to run well on the PS3 at all will be quite an achievement!

I agree that the PC's framerate can vary depending on how much power you have under the bonnet, I'm running a Core2Quad and an 8800GTX and DiRT runs pretty smooth for me.

Both the 360 and PS3 could be treated as mid to high end PC's with a few extras bolted on like PPUs etc. So they both have a few advantages over a vanilla mid end PC, they are both better at physics processing for a start, with the CELL being very well tuned for it.

Saying it would be an achiement getting it to run on the PS3 is a bit odd, it already runs well on the 360, they've just happend to get it to run a little bit better on the PS3. Most likely by tapping into the extra power the CELL provides for collision, physics et al.

I don't mean to nitpick, but the way he's talking the PS3 version is a lot better than the PC and 360 versions.

And the thing that many have higher than 720p resolutions when they play. It is not fair to compare 1200p resolution at 30fps with 720p resolution at 30fps as the same!

So they both have a few advantages over a vanilla mid end PC, they are both better at physics processing for a start, with the CELL being very well tuned for it.

Thats news to me! Especially in terms of the 360. If anything I would expect the 360 to be significantly behind a high end PC in the physics departement (without considering the impact of a PPU).

Saying it would be an achiement getting it to run on the PS3 is a bit odd, it already runs well on the 360, they've just happend to get it to run a little bit better on the PS3. Most likely by tapping into the extra power the CELL provides for collision, physics et al.

The point I was getting at there is that if a GTS is struggling (30-40 fps with drops) then getting it running on RSX with barely half the power at a similar or better framerate is quite an achievement. No doubt Cell and lots and lots of optimisation are responsibile for that achievment (and perhaps a reduction in graphics fidelity compared to what im playing at).

I don't mean to nitpick, but the way he's talking the PS3 version is a lot better than the PC and 360 versions.

Not really. In fact I think he only mentions the PC indirectly once in relation to this being the most optimised version, the rest of the time he speaks specifically about the 360 version.

And even then I didn't get the impression that it would be a lot better. I got the impression that he was fluffing it up a lot actually.

Looking at the install directory for the PC version on a colleague's machine, it's full of .PSSG files, so it's definitely being used cross-platform. PSSG is a pretty big package in the PS3 SDK so they'd probably choose to either use a lot of it, or very little - the use of the file-format for what looks like most of the graphics files suggests the former.

Looking at the install directory for the PC version on a colleague's machine, it's full of .PSSG files, so it's definitely being used cross-platform. PSSG is a pretty big package in the PS3 SDK so they'd probably choose to either use a lot of it, or very little - the use of the file-format for what looks like most of the graphics files suggests the former.

Well let's hope it is successful for them, as that could bode well for future multi-platform titles.

Not really. In fact I think he only mentions the PC indirectly once in relation to this being the most optimised version, the rest of the time he speaks specifically about the 360 version.

And even then I didn't get the impression that it would be a lot better. I got the impression that he was fluffing it up a lot actually.

Well he promised a demo... time will tell

I can dust off the old ps2 logitech wheel

He did'nt say High-End though did he?

Good point, he did say mid range. However I think it could be argued that even a mid range PC would be beyond the 360 in physics capabilities - unless you take GPU physics into account of course.

I guess it depends on how you define midrange. Is it a mid range PC you could buy new today - likely having a Core2 Duo E6600 or above, or is it a PC that sits around the middle of the power spectrum of the entire existing PC gamer userbase - likely containing a P4 in the 2-3Ghz range or AMD equivilent.

Why would you expect Xenon to be significantly behind a high end PC? You've got three large vector engines in there at 3.2 GHz, and a closed hardware system where cache and data management can help keep things more efficient.

Back