Unreal Tournament III Discussion *renamed*

i'm on the fence with this game, but everyday i'm edging closer and closer to buying it. i don't really have time to play online a lot, which is why i sold Warhawk. but it seems like there is little of a learning curve in UT3, and that if you're good at shooters (i'm usually pretty good), you will be good at UT3. ill probably end up purchasing it sometime.

I'm all about this game. I'll answer any questions you have. Here, hope this helps:

- The Death Match is sublime. Already, competition has come to a boil and winning games will require some major brainpower.

- The TDM is a pleasant alternative. Still sublime, but better for the times when your pacemaker can't handle the straight DM.

- CTF, at this point, is a bore. I don't know why. Probably the same thing with vehicle ctf and warfare. Some people seem to be enjoying these very much. The skill of players in these games is noticable shifted towards the goal-oriented side and a player fresh out of dm sticks out like a sore thumb as their aggressivness dominates one on one encounters... but they are running the wrong way with the flag trying to kill everyone. Maybe these get better as the community develops and tweaks them.

- This is a most striking example of a release-it now-patch-it-later on a console I've personally heard of. Be warned.

- There are no shortage of dedicated servers supplied by Midway. What's more, they are well populated. The netcode keeps up great in 16 player games. Now, dedicated are being set up by users as well. And several of those are hosting the mods.

- From an audio-visual standpoint, this is a showcase for you PS3 in the way Gears is for 360. But here the engine really flexes its muscle as you can get blown 70 feet into the air and look at most of the level and the clusterf*ck of players going on below you and UE3 keeps everything in check, doesn't tear and doesnt stutter. Meanwhile everything is just driping with detail at any distance. Sometimes you turn a corner and see low quality stuff being replaced by pin-sharp textures just a second too late. It's a reminder of how hard this engine is working to get this much data into every frame.

At first the graphics didn't really turn me on, but having practically overdosed on the game in the last 4 days, I've grown to appreciate the art direction and notice that this disparate maps are really cohesive in there atmospheres and somehow do feel like part of the same world. The forboding vertical structures of spacestations are echoed in the ornate, sun-drenched pagodas, for example.

-Community here is gelling and looks like it will be strong, thanks to the guiding hand of the core PC users. But keep in mind that community happens OUTSIDE of the game. On forums. This is not XBox Live, that's for sure. In game messaging is crude to put it nicely and voice chat seems broken for the time being. A patch has been promised.

-You certainly don't have to pour time into the game. The best part, the Deathmatching, requires only familiartity with the weapons and a little map knowledge. After that it's just quick thinking. If you are confident you can jump into this deathmatch without alot of prior knowledge and just rely on your wits. Very low-commital.

Overall it's highly reccomended, but I recon if you decided to wait the game will only getting better down the line. This is not a flavor of the month game. It's an establishment.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=596500

Mark Rein says:

Folks,

I just wanted to give you an update:

We're very close to releasing an update to the Unreal Engine 3 editor, that comes with the PC version of UT3, that will allow UT3 mod-makers to cook their mods into the required PS3 format. We've been doing some internal testing and we're hoping to expand to a wider group tomorrow or Friday. If all goes well then we should see the update released next week which is what I expect will happen. Obviously the process works, as we put out a few mods before Christmas and people seem to be playing them, but it is the update to the editor that we're testing.

thanks Crayon. again, i'm probably going to end up buying it. now is just not a very good time.

Are there any clan options? How good is the party system? Do you have to use the PSN friendlist to invite people?

djskribbles: Well with any luck, this game will get more poular as the years go on so you should no t feel a ruch to get it "while it's hot".

Cornsnake: The game has it's own seperate friendslist. It's clunky, the txt messaging is near useless and the voicechat is garbled. I remain optimistic for a patch, but I'm not going to lie to you, the game is short on that sort of stuff.

All you clanning and orginization will have to be done seperatly. The one thing that makes the friends list usable is the follow feature, whitch if all else fails at least makes it so that you'll be able to play with your friends anytime.

You could hang out and wait for a patch.

Thanks for the reply. If those features aren't patch't in before the european release then there probably wont anyone who's going play clanwars in UT3 in our clan. It looks like our next game will be Bad Company. There are a lot of games with poor party and clan support lately. CoD 4 has a bad party systeem, Team Fortress 2 is even worse and no clan support. It can't be to hard to make those things. I guess developers still think of this a niche.

Some more info on the upcoming mod tool:

http://psnathome.com/news.php?item.479

What Is Supported
The following types of mods are supported. See the Not Supported section for
any restrictions.

Maps
These mods are created and saved with UnrealEd..
These are new maps that are intended for Epic supplied game types, or for
your own game types.

Mutators
These mods are programmed with UnrealScript.
These can be activated optionally during matches. These can range from
replacing all weapons to changing gravity in odd ways to affecting player
movement.
These can be auto-downloaded from a server running the new game type
without needing to install the mod on the client PS3s. Note that this is
just to play as a client; to run a server (or offline) with the mutator,
you will need to install the mod the standard way. Auto-downloaded mods
are put into a temporary cache only.

Game types
These mods are programmed with UnrealScript. This is a new set of game rules that use existing maps (see Total Conversions for game types) These can be auto-downloaded like a mutator, above.

Custom Characters
Character pieces are simply building blocks for the custom character system in UT3

Total Conversions
A Total Conversion, or TC, typically means replacing all of the content that shipped with a game with completely unique content, including the main menu.
On the PS3, the main menu cannot be replaced, but it can be used to load another level that is the TC’s main menu. This can then branch off to load the TC’s maps, etc.
These are generally a combination of new game types, new models, and new levels.

Other modifications may work, but these are what we have tested and planned for.

What Is Not Supported
Naturally, given the limited memory on PS3, etc, there are limitations to what you can do.

Mutators and game types must consist of UnrealScript code only. This means that you cannot have a mutator that turns all UT3 weapons into a space cow model that you import.

This is because they need to work with shipping maps, and too much content added on will cause the PS3 to run out of memory.

Importing sounds is not supported. This is because UT3 uses a proprietary
version of ATRAC3 and we are unable to release the tool that is needed to
convert .wav files to the format required by the game.

It is unknown if we will be able to have some system for sound conversion in the future.

We understand the limitation this places on mod developers, and will rectify this if at all possible in a future version.

Eh, so new models and such are not allowed? If that's the case how can they even begin to use the phrase "total conversion"?

Not to bad but overall the support they're adding really is limiting, maybe a lot of custom maps but how will those spread easily (meaning you download from the server, not search it out online)? etc, etc.

You should be able to obtain the mods via the PS3 web browser (yes, that includes searching :) ) or via a removable media.

Does it say anything other than mutators and game types?

Yes it does actually. I don't know if you can read or not but it also has Maps, "Custom Characters", and "Total Conversions." The question comes in with their description on what a custom character is (it sounds like built from the existing resources, and not one made by a modder) and what they mean by total conversion which sounds nothing like what I feel a true total conversion is.

i might be picking this game up tomorrow from someone for $35 bucks (used). he was selling it for $45CAD, but i talked him down to $35... i should get my $35 worth out of this game. :smile:

ended up picking it up earlier today. played an hour or so and its good mindless fun. :smile: currently playing through the campaign first, then ill jump online.

Yes it does actually. I don't know if you can read or not but it also has Maps, "Custom Characters", and "Total Conversions." The question comes in with their description on what a custom character is (it sounds like built from the existing resources, and not one made by a modder) and what they mean by total conversion which sounds nothing like what I feel a true total conversion is.

No, you are misunderstanding. The PS3 game can deal with most every mod, including models.

No, you are misunderstanding. The PS3 game can deal with most every mod, including models.

Yeah I'm shure it will support custom textures to. When making the stuff then the final step with the "cooking" would set LOD for the content (or the game itself) to fit RAM and/or perfomance threshold.

I doubt though that some engine scripts would work (changing graphics). Found some scripts which has option to set lighting for some weapon bullets and AO quality settings etc.

i didn't do the optional install (load times are fine, and i don't really notice much texture pop) but i checked the "game files" folder in the xmb (where it shows installation files for games) and UT3 was ~900MB after a few hours, then it went up to 1200MB. is it normal for the installation to increase over time when you don't do the optional full install?

Back