Unreal Tournament III Discussion *renamed*

*in my opinion* it's for the best. I'll be playing on PC and I don't want to get my ass handed to me by console players who need to use a sort of auto-aim (or aim helper). Just by the majority of PC players. ;)

Unless of course there's autoaim on PC as an option as well, in which case my point is moot.

Or they could set it up so that you restrict certain rooms to no-auto-aim or keyboard mouse only, as UT3 is playable on the PS3 with keyboard and mouse.

Well, let's get the game out there and see it from there. ;) Maybe it sucks and nobody wants to play it anyway. :p

UE3 PS3 version pushed back to 2008

"CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Midway Games Inc. (NYSE:MWY - News) today announced revised estimates for the Company's third quarter ended September 30, 2007, and fiscal year ending December 31, 2007. The changes are primarily to reflect Midway's decision to release Stranglehold for the PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the fourth quarter rather than the third quarter, the expected movement of Unreal Tournament 3 for the PLAYSTATION 3 system into the first quarter of fiscal 2008, and lower expected sales of BlackSite: Area 51 primarily due to the adverse impact of the split shipment between the Xbox 360 and the PLAYSTATION 3 system, with the European version of BlackSite: Area 51 for the PLAYSTATION 3 system shifting into the first quarter of 2008."

"David F. Zucker, president and chief executive officer, commented, "While we regret that these delays will cause us to lose some valuable holiday sales in the near term as well as shift revenue for some of these titles out of 2007 and into 2008, we remain confident that our technology strategy and product plan position us to grow both revenue and market share as we move into the heart of this console cycle. Looking ahead to 2008, with our core technology platform now in place, we expect to release a number of titles, including already announced console versions of Unreal Tournament 3, a next generation installment of our NBA Ballers franchise, Wheelman, and TNA iMPACT! the video game. We also expect to release several as-yet unannounced titles such as next generation versions of our hit franchises Blitz and Mortal Kombat, and two exciting new ambitious open world games. We intend to give more details on our 2008 release schedule in the near future."

Not that we didn't see it coming but...

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=25003688&postcount=2

Mark Rein said:
As a public company, Midway felt an obligation to its shareholders to let them know about the possibility of a delay. But our goal is still to get the PS3 version of UT3 in stores before the end of 2007. However, we will only ship it once it’s ready and is the best game we can deliver. The PC version is still on track for a November release.

Seems Epic doesn't have the man power to handle two things at once. Hopefully they have it polished for release.

things seemed as if they were going so well. i mean, it was running great on PS3 quite a while ago and theres still a month to go.

Yeah it's unfortunate... if they don't get it out this year though - which I don't think they will - I don't imagine it will do nearly as well at retail. Doesn't seem that UE3.0 and the PS3 are set to have a very productive relationship.

Weren't the levels originally omitted because there were performance issues with them running on the PS3? Maybe my memory's just getting confused as it seems every day there's another delay or omission to some PS3 game or other!

Ya, PCs typically have 1-2GB of system RAM, I think these levels were not smooth on the PS3. Now I guess they are optimizing some more and putting them in.

I advocate spreading game releases throughout the year, so I welcome them not all lumping into 1-2 months. Last year there was maybe three games really worth buying at X-mas (GoW, RS:V, R:FOM), this year it must be 7+ without UT3.

HS, Bioshock, Halo 3, R&C, Haze, Mass Effect, Uncharted, etc.

things seemed as if they were going so well. i mean, it was running great on PS3 quite a while ago and theres still a month to go.

Not really, last IGN preview recently they mentioned it crashed a couple times on them, I suspected then there were problems, coupled with Mark Rein starting to sound the delay hints with "when it's done".

Heh heh... my primary interest in UT3 is to see at least a high quality game running smoothly off the latest UE engine. But it does sound like a 2008 release is more likely or inevitable.

The comment about running all PC maps is an interesting one. I wonder which portion (of the engine or the game) causes the delay.

The comment about running all PC maps is an interesting one. I wonder which portion (of the engine or the game) causes the delay.

Perhaps better streaming/use of RAM. May also be that they redesign the maps slightly. Although is not PC gamers and PS3 gamers able to play versus if so then maps need to be equal in design but perhaps not in LOD.

But but but..

Aren't 90% of all Pc game mods broken/buggy/ugly messes anyway...?

:oops:

A little known game known as Counter Strike started as a "broken/buggy/ugly mess" also.....

Mods have the chance to evolve and get massaged on the PC due to the platform benefits and ambitious development community.

Yeah it's unfortunate... if they don't get it out this year though - which I don't think they will - I don't imagine it will do nearly as well at retail. Doesn't seem that UE3.0 and the PS3 are set to have a very productive relationship.

It is appearing that way. One of the arguements for pushing Gears of War out (with a lot of cut content) was the proposition of getting a game out the door, on budget, looking great, and fleshed out on time. The move was to install confidence in [potential] licensees. A 12+ month slide for UT3 isn't very encouraging after all the issues UE3 has had on the PS3.

And barried in the Midway release is that Stranglehold, another UE3 title, also has seen significant delays. The 360 version is already out. Ditto now Fatal Inertia.

A little known game known as Counter Strike started as a "broken/buggy/ugly mess" also.....

Mods have the chance to evolve and get massaged on the PC due to the platform benefits and ambitious development community.

You can add in Team Fortress Classic, Desert Combat, Red Orchestra, Gary's Mod and a number of other really good mods. Maybe 90% suck -- because of the sheer number of them. But there have been some really great gems that turned out to be as good as any high quality commercial release.

*in my opinion* it's for the best. I'll be playing on PC and I don't want to get my ass handed to me by console players who need to use a sort of auto-aim (or aim helper). Just by the majority of PC players. ;)

Unless of course there's autoaim on PC as an option as well, in which case my point is moot.

Or they could set it up so that you restrict certain rooms to no-auto-aim or keyboard mouse only, as UT3 is playable on the PS3 with keyboard and mouse.

Well, let's get the game out there and see it from there. ;) Maybe it sucks and nobody wants to play it anyway. :p

Perhaps better streaming/use of RAM. May also be that they redesign the maps slightly. Although is not PC gamers and PS3 gamers able to play versus if so then maps need to be equal in design but perhaps not in LOD.

PC vs PS3 play was axed a couple of weeks ago. At least upon initial release. They may revisit it when the PC version has been stabilized with a few patches etc.

"We looked at how this would impact our ability to respond quickly to things happening at internet speed on the PC side of the equation and realized that would not be in the best interests of our very loyal PC user base because we would constantly be holding on to updates to wait until they passed cert on the console platform," Rein wrote.

Rein did not rule out future cross-platform UT3 compatibility, after the game stabilizes a bit and gets some early updates.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/epics-mark-rein.html

that link said:
Still, Rein was quick to point out that there is an up side to the delay--the extra time means the PS3 version will have the same maps as the PC version, as opposed to getting shortchanged as was originally planned.

So I guess there are the resources available after all, they were just trying to rush it and dare I say couldn't be arsed to optimise the levels.

Anyway, it matters not, they are being included and the better they make the engine now, the better the games will be when the other devs throw some boxes at the engine and hope for the best.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/epics-mark-rein.html

So I guess there are the resources available after all, they were just trying to rush it and dare I say couldn't be arsed to optimise the levels.

Anyway, it matters not, they are being included and the better they make the engine now, the better the games will be when the other devs throw some boxes at the engine and hope for the best.

Or it could be that they are using the extra time to remodel the levels to an extent were they will fit on the PS3? So the PS3 version still gets the same level in name and basic format but maybe with some detail/scope cut backs.

Back