Unreal Tournament III Discussion *renamed*

i would play everygame on my tv if given chances. my dell24" ultrasharp just looked puny compard to my 42" hitachi 8800. im pretty sure ut3 would look and sound tons better on my tv than my dell.

You can lower settigns on the PC version to make it run better. I doubt you'll be able to do the same on the concole versions. Quality will probably be locked as it is with most games.
well you can lower as far as it resembles the same game and overal experience i think.
I tried Bioshock out on my pc, but after lowering and lowering the resolution it became too ugly to play actually and it killed the anticipation, atmosphere and the beauty of the game

i would play everygame on my tv if given chances. my dell24" ultrasharp just looked puny compard to my 42" hitachi 8800. im pretty sure ut3 would look and sound tons better on my tv than my dell.

Why on Earth is a game going to both look and sound better merely from moving to a monitor to a TV?

1. Sound isn't effected at all and 2. neither are graphics aside from resolution which would likely go down on the TV.

Its not like size is even an argument because you generally sit a lot further back from a TV than a monitor. Taking perspective into account the game would actually appear larger on the monitor for most people. And this is coming from someone with his PC hooked up to a 19" monitor and a 40" HDTV.

so. Mark Reign said there wont be all maps in the PS3 version that are on pc, the ps3 cant manage them because they are to complex. TRUE!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on Earth is a game going to both look and sound better merely from moving to a monitor to a TV?

1. Sound isn't effected at all and 2. neither are graphics aside from resolution which would likely go down on the TV.

Its not like size is even an argument because you generally sit a lot further back from a TV than a monitor. Taking perspective into account the game would actually appear larger on the monitor for most people. And this is coming from someone with his PC hooked up to a 19" monitor and a 40" HDTV.

A big screen, a nice 5.1 setup and the confort of your living room. For some of us it's all about confort:D

so. Mark Reign said there wont be all maps in the PS3 version that are on pc, the ps3 cant manage them because they are to complex. TRUE!?

He said they didn´t run smooth, maybe due to memory constraints or whatever reason.
You can probably be more generous with the buffers for the streaming engine on a PC than on a console.

He said they didn´t run smooth, maybe due to memory constraints or whatever reason.
You can probably be more generous with the buffers for the streaming engine on a PC than on a console.

True. His comment sounded more like they'd be less maps on the PS3 because of their complex nature. well if its not the case, it isnt that much of a letdown.

Even if I buy a PC today, I may not be able to play all the UT3 mods too. The question is what % of mods can run on a PS3. If most of them can be used, it's not an issue at all (Hopefully, people don't have to tweak settings to make 'em run).

As long as Epic are careful with setting expectation, they should be fine. PCs tend to be more expensive and harder to maintain for most layman.

Even if I buy a PC today, I may not be able to play all the UT3 mods too. The question is what % of mods can run on a PS3. If most of them can be used, it's not an issue at all (Hopefully, people don't have to tweak settings to make 'em run).

As long as Epic are careful with setting expectation, they should be fine. PCs tend to be more expensive and harder to maintain for most layman.

Huh???

If you buy something like a 8800GTX Ultra rig now, it will run everything that UT3 mods will have, and it will run pretty much any multiplatform game for the entire lifespan of the PS3 better than the PS3 will run it.

Not everyone will buy it with 8800GTX Ultra (How much relative to a PS3 ? Is it noisy ? Does it generate heat ?). Many people prefer a laptop to a PC too.

It will be able to play all UT3 mods, without problems. And I am not talking about top high-end PC's. Mods can also be divided into 2 categories, gameplay mods and graphical mods or a combination.

Gameplay mods will not affect perfomance much if any at all. Things changed are rules, values for weapons etc and perhaps extra vechicles on the map(s).

Graphical mods will change textures, level design, specific graphical map settings and more.

Gameplay mods is what will be seen in PS3 with perhaps the possibility to replace current textures (faces/characters/weapons) with custom ones with same resolution togehter with a mesh for the added weapon.
New levels would perhaps be possible to as long as the editor has a chart for maximum mem usage or built-in automatic optimizator (scale down some textures to fit level).

I certainly dont think mods with higher res textures will be possible without resulting in problems aswell as enhanced shaders/engine settings (LOD, lighting etc).

Not everyone will buy it with 8800GTX Ultra (How much relative to a PS3 ? Is it noisy ? Does it generate heat ?). Many people prefer a laptop to a PC too.

People with laptops dont tend to play games on them and if they do it usually is simple games. Still laptops come with high-end components this days. :D

It will be able to play all UT3 mods, without problems. And I am not talking about top high-end PC's.

Are you sure ? I thought most PCs are still sold with integrated GPUs rather than discrete ones ? Can a laptop run UT3 with high end mods well ?

Mods can also be divided into 2 categories, gameplay mods and graphical mods or a combination.

Gameplay mods will not affect perfomance much if any at all. Things changed are rules, values for weapons etc and perhaps extra vechicles on the map(s).

Graphical mods will change textures, level design, specific graphical map settings and more.

Gameplay mods is what will be seen in PS3 with perhaps the possibility to replace current textures (faces/characters/weapons) with custom ones with same resolution togehter with a mesh for the added weapon.
New levels would perhaps be possible to as long as the editor has a chart for maximum mem usage or built-in automatic optimizator (scale down some textures to fit level).

I certainly dont think mods with higher res textures will be possible without resulting in problems aswell as enhanced shaders/engine settings (LOD, lighting etc).

That's good information to know. I have posted a few questions in this thread to find out what mods are possible. Thanks !
If the above info is accurate, they'll need to come up with a new "console mod" label/category to avoid confusion (Everything in this category can run on a PS3 or 360).

People with laptops dont tend to play games on them and if they do it usually is simple games. Still laptops come with high-end components this days. :D

Sure. As long as people buy non-gaming PCs/laptops, my comments still stand. Not all PCs sold today can play all the UT3 mods. My impression is they are loud, hot and more expensive also.

Are you sure ? I thought most PCs are still sold with integrated GPUs rather than discrete ones ? Can a laptop run UT3 with high end mods well ?

The cheapest budget computers have integrated GPU, the reast of the budget PC's have a separate GPU with own VRAM (no RAM sharing). People with these types of computers will run UT3 at low detail if even that (these PC are more for Internet usage and older games).

There are laptops with good perfomance, dual/quad-core CPU (core2 duo) and 8600GT GPU or better. These will be able to run graphical mods well to altough these laptops cost some to!

Sure. As long as people buy non-gaming PCs, my comments still stand. Not all PCs sold today can play all the UT3 mods. My impression is they are loud, hot and more expensive.

Of course budget PC's will have trouble to run the game if at all. But mostly these PC's are for mostly for internet usage and writing etc (schools etc).
A well built high-end PC will run cool (cooler than consoles) and be low noise/quiet, just a mather of which components one choses and the fans/coolers for the system.
PC do cost though quite some but you get what you pay for and games are cheaper which adds balance. :smile:

The cheapest budget computers have integrated GPU, the reast of the budget PC's have a separate GPU with own VRAM (no RAM sharing). People with these types of computers will run UT3 at low detail if even that (these PC are more for Internet usage and older games).

There are laptops with good perfomance, dual/quad-core CPU (core2 duo) and 8600GT GPU or better. These will be able to run graphical mods well to altough these laptops cost some to!

Of course budget PC's will have trouble to run the game if at all. But mostly these PC's are for mostly for internet usage and writing etc (schools etc).
A well built high-end PC will run cool (cooler than consoles) and be low noise/quiet, just a mather of which components one choses and the fans/coolers for the system.
PC do cost though quite some but you get what you pay for and games are cheaper which adds balance. :smile:

Yes, I have/had an 3-4 year old Toshiba "gaming" laptop (Gigs of RAM, ATI GPU, built-in Bose speakers). After 1+ years, it became the third loudest equipment in my house (right after a washing machine and a dryer). The state of the art should be more quiet (forever ?), but then again so will the price tag. :)

A PS3 "only" costs $499 (with free Blu-ray discs even), runs quiet and doesn't overheat under normal condition. That laptop now shuts itself down halfway due to overheating. When I powered it up in the library, some people stared at me :LOL:

The problem (well, not really problem) is some people write the mods to take advantage of high end gears. As the average PC gains in power, the high end mods will consume more at a relative pace. So it is unreasonable to expect that all PCs to run *all* UT3 mods. Even if they do, you probably need to downgrade the mods by turning off some features.

It is not a problem for PS3 (or 360) to run only a subset of the mods... unless that subset is miniscule, or Epic over sold the concept.

[modhat]This is not PC versus PS3. Reasons to choose UT3 on PC versus PC, and the price of PCs to run UT3, what games PC will run better than PS3, etc. aren't welcome. We say 'Booooo' to such talk! The continuation of this thread needs to be either clarification of what maps are missing, ideas why, or new material such as vids or interviews.[/modhat]

Indeed, quite the contrary, when the mods are released in their PS3 incarnation, people will start optimising them for use on PS3, because it's a fixed platform so that you can optimise the mod to suite the hardware as best as possible. That could be a big advantage. Let's hope so. ;)

EDIT: well, dear mod, you might as well change the topic title of the thread to "Unreal Tournament PS3" then while you are at it, because the exclusivity part of the UT discussion wouldn't be quite relevant. Then we need another thread in the PC games space, and then another thread on the modding aspect of both versions. ;)

To be honest though, the mod scene part of UT3 is a big and innovative feature, and I wouldn't frown too early on discussing any aspects of it. It's a legitimate question to debate the limitations of the console part of the mod equation.

Yes, I have/had an 3-4 year old Toshiba "gaming" laptop (Gigs of RAM, ATI GPU, built-in Bose speakers). After 1+ years, it became the third loudest equipment in my house (right after a washing machine and a dryer).

High-end laptops are noisy just becouse there is little room for airflow inside the laptop and fast running fans are needed, often radial fans at high speed!

The problem (well, not really problem) is some people write the mods to take advantage of high end gears. As the average PC gains in power, the high end mods will consume more at a relative pace. So it is unreasonable to expect that all PCs to run *all* UT3 mods.

There is still limitations to how much extra "candy" you can add until the engine says stop due to limitations. But yes all PC's wont run all UT3 mods with graphic enhancements well or at all (RAM/VRAM limitations). And there will be those that can run those mods but it will affect perfomance to much to be playable.

But it will always be so when the lineup of hardware for PC includes everything from low-end to high-end.

Even if they do, you probably need to downgrade the mods by turning off some features

With mods it is often you use it as it is since there are no options for the mod modifications or you dont use it becouse it makes the game unplayable. Or re-mod it yourself to fit your PC's capabilities.
I dont see this problem with mods for the PS3 since all PS3 are equal but this would also limit the scope of the mod and enhancements that can be included. :smile:

Back