Unreal Tournament III Discussion *renamed*

Doesn't "exclusive" imply it's not being released on any other platform? Because I'm pretty sure it was developed for PC first.....Actually I'm positive.

The PC doesn't count as a platform because there's no platform holder per se in the way this works on consoles (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft), where you have to pay the platform holder to be allowed to develop and publish games. It's a bit more complicated than that, and Microsoft is obviously trying to change it through their Games for Windows and Live programs and such, but right now, that's roughly the way it is.

360 version is probably coming in the next fiscal year (if successful enough ;) )

EDIT: Nah, that's incorrect. He says early 08, and that 360 owners don't have to worry and that they are going to have an excellent product.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't a personal attack directed towards you, but how isn't the PC considered a platform? Because it's more than 400 dollars or more the fact that it has a broader scope of utilities :rolleyes:

Who writes these rules anyway?

I hear ya, half the 360 exclusives are PC games. I want more console games and less PC games on my consoles. C&C3, Prey, Quake 4, and now even Bioshock. I have a nice PC - what incentive is there to spend $20 more on the same game? Of course the same effect is taking place on the PS3 to a lesser extent, the problem is that console game profits and developer cost are higher and the tools to make these games are converging.

This isn't a personal attack directed towards you, but how isn't the PC considered a platform? Because it's more than 400 dollars or more the fact that it has a broader scope of utilities :rolleyes:
well it obviously is a platform, but the PC is not the 360 or the PS3's direct competition.

valioso said:
is time exclusive on pc and ps3 for this yr only.. so I am guessing 360 version will be out in february/march
yes. in the GS video, the guy (i don't know who it is) says that they're hoping for early 2008 but they don't really know.

The PC doesn't count as a platform because there's no platform holder per se in the way this works on consoles (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft), where you have to pay the platform holder to be allowed to develop and publish games. It's a bit more complicated than that, and Microsoft is obviously trying to change it through their Games for Windows and Live programs and such, but right now, that's roughly the way it is.

360 version is probably coming in the next fiscal year (if successful enough ;) )

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the "Games for Windows" campaign wasn't just stamped on games Microsoft was affiliated with production-wise. A quote:

"Games for the platform must meet certification standards similar to those of modern popular videogame consoles."

So essentially, by replicating a console experience is how to declare yourself a platform? That's just silly....

It doesn't say replicating the console experience, but meeting certification requirements. Different things.

However, part of the games for Windows initiative is about making things easier for the end user.

Will owners of various consoles be able to compete each other online as well as PC owners? I am interested to know

Also some info on KB and Mouse support would be nice

I love the idea of playing mods on the PS3 game. Perhaps that is partly why they've gone exclusive for the PS3 for the near future.

I love the idea of playing mods on the PS3 game. Perhaps that is partly why they've gone exclusive for the PS3 for the near future.

What I've understood is that they want to do this for the 360 as well, but I remember two years ago already I think they made a fuss about how Live wouldn't allow them to do it, but they thought they could do it on the PS3 without too much of a hassle. They've put some pressure on MS to make this possible on the 360 as well, and I think XNA's Live Server interface has been modified partly for this purpose, so that I expect the 360 will get this option also. He actually alludes to this in the interview, saying that part of the reason the PS3 version is coming first (vs the 360 version) is that it is (and has been) possible on the PS3 (longer).

That's my interpretation anyway.

He mentions that mods downloaded to the PC need to be "cooked" and then transfered to the PS3? I wonder what that means?

I guess that Microsoft wouldn't bulge on the DLC expect. Lead guy for UT3 said that the visual bar for the game was the 360 version

I guess that Microsoft wouldn't bulge on the DLC expect. Lead guy for UT3 said that the visual bar for the game was the 360 version

That OXM article is really beginning to seem like they met bizarro Epic. Rein said in an interview with GameSpot at E3 that "we just haven't done a lot of recent development on the 360."

That OXM article is really beginning to seem like they met bizarro Epic. Rein said in an interview with GameSpot at E3 that "we just haven't done a lot of recent development on the 360."

He talks out of his mouth too much for me to believe.

i think the 360 was the visual bar because they wanted to see how well they could run it on 360. they didn't want to lead on PC because PC obviously has the potential to be far greater than the 360. this is a quote from OXM interview:
And while the game is in simultaneous development for both PC and 360, it's the Xbox [360] that dictates the detail. "Our visual bar is based on Xbox 360," reveals Polge. "How beautiful can we make it and still have it run solid 30 frames per second? Then, after that, we go and look at PC. It's very good for keeping us focused on what we need to do, what's reasonable spec. The Xbox 360 is powerful enough that we're not having to change the game visually. In fact, on PC, we're worried about how we scale back to lower-end PCs.
so the 360 is the lead platform between the 360 and PC, does that mean the PS3 version was developed by itself? or does that mean the 360 is the lead platform and they just forgot to mention the PS3 version? i agree with Mmmkay... i'm confused as to which platform is the lead platform. from the most recent E3 interview with Mark Rein, it seems like the PS3 and PC versions are the furthest in development.

I love the mods thing. The open nature of the PS3 network is one of the reasons I had my eye on the PS3 in the first place, and I hope that this gets expanded to other games as well.

Wasn't he actually referring to Gears? Same engine after all.

I love the mods thing. The open nature of the PS3 network is one of the reasons I had my eye on the PS3 in the first place, and I hope that this gets expanded to other games as well.

Yes mods can greatly prolong the life of a game and improve the fun factor by several times!

maybe part of the exclusivity is also to try to get MS to let them do the user mods on xbox live..

I just don't think MS will ever sacrifice the "LIVE" experience for user mods. Too many cheaters and hackers out there. As tight as LIVE currently is and as little as I have played Halo2 online, it sucks when you get matched with some modders. It completely ruins the fun of the game, unless you like being unfairly killed the whole time. If they can find a way to allow it which doesn't sacrifice network security, then maybe. We'll see.

Back