A first hint at Silent Hill 5

not bad not bad... I like what I see. Nurses are hawt ;)

On a side note, I would be disappointed if they didn't get 4xAA in the final version.:p

Based on the videos, it doesn't seem like as much of a leap visually from the PS2 as some other games. May be it's harder for games to impress in a dim environment?

Within any recent game, I usually find the sunny parts look more impressive than the dim segments. I feel the colouring from sun light and reflections in general tend to make games look more convincing.

May be it's harder for games to impress in a dim environment?

Gears and Killzone seemed to have impressed alot of people ;)

After watching the videos, it gave hope that the game would stay to its roots, while incorporating new things that wouldnt radically change the gameplay *cough*RE4*cough*

Though I should remain skeptical since the little information and few videos we've seen from this game is just the tip of the iceberg. Since the devs are SH fans aswell, heres hoping they go to the right direction and do well :D

ps: that second video was funny. the room dynamically changing made it seem like something epic is about to happen, but it was just a knife wielding nurse coming out of a bathroom stall :LOL:

Silent Hill is all about lighting and... uh... I guess their rust shaders. ;) I can live with a few less polygons or some lower-rez textures.

The mood and pacing is paramount, however. I thought Resident Evil took an appropriate turn with RE4, but no way in HELL would I want Silent Hill to move in that direction, and thankfully the devs seem to be reserved on that front.

A little bit more meat to the combat would not be out of place... I mean at SOME point you get a bit tired of running past things continuously to find the best place to hunker down and swipe with your lead pipe while the freaks are just out of range. ;)

Silent Hill is all about lighting and... uh... I guess their rust shaders. ;) I can live with a few less polygons or some lower-rez textures....
Silent Hill is about thick wads of fog too :smile:

#3 had some of the most oustanding characters though, Ive never seen better looking faces before (also the rest of the game was technically one of PS2 finests). I believe it was on this very forum, where you had a hard time convincing doubters that those werent from CGI-scenes.
Therefore you shouldnt be surprised if people have high expectations for the graphics, and not only looking good if you have no contrast ( ala Doom3 :p ).

The interview was nice, hope they deliver.

Right, fog! How did I forget the fog?!! They mention it in the EGM review, but I haven't seen much of it yet, so I can't judge.

Anyone seriously interested in SH5 should pick up--or at least peruse--the most recent EGM.

I was actually expecting SH5 to be on par graphics-wise with RE5, but of course in a darker setting than RE5. I guess Konami doesn't consider SH5 to be a premiere franchise anymore.

New pics:

VGZ_Silent_Hill_5_Neu_7.jpg

VGZ_Silent_Hill_5_Neu_5.jpg

VGZ_Silent_Hill_5_Neu_2.jpg

VGZ_Silent_Hill_5_Neu_6.jpg

VGZ_Silent_Hill_5_Neu_4.jpg

VGZ_Silent_Hill_5_Neu_3.jpg

Nice nice... I can't remember from the videos, but is there going to be a multitude of enemies on screen at some point? I like the 4th screenshot there. Can't wait to see more. :)

edit: Gamersyde has blown up versions (reveals a lot of aliasing)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5068_en.html

hm...I think it needs work. :???: The main character and the nurse look great, but the attic scene doesn't look too hot.

What I've played of the Siren games is less Silent Hill than Origins is, not compelling at all. The Climax guys did a decent job with Origins, and they have Masashi Tsuboyama leading them this time. So, while the shots show the graphics aren't pushing the consoles to nearly the extent Team Silent games have, I still have hope that the game will do its heritage justice in other respects.

I am worrying a bit about this game. The latest trailer looked more like a bad horror movie to me than a Silent Hill game.

Like a movie that attempted to copy some elements.

It was as if I was watching one of the so many cliche Hollywood movie trailers

Im glad their site doesnt promote piracy, else I`m sure alot of ppl would be motivated to find a download after reading those news.

kyleb: I havent finished Origins (but every other SH game, that alone is telling). It certainly lacked the Silent Hill feeling, the protagonist has no reason to actually be there and willingly go through hell, and (unlike previous games) the city was more of a backdrop instead of a sentient entity toying with you ( beeing able to swap worlds at will ).
I probably will play through it someday, but it dint grab me like the other titles (yes, even SH 4), I havent touched or thought about it in 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Room is like Origins in that in both the protagonists simply have the "hell" thrust upon him, and the reason why isn't rightly explained until the end. Granted, many fans didn't care for SH4 either, but I consider it a successful attempt at evolving the mechanics of the Silent Hill games, which came off as rather formulamatic to me by the 3rd installment. I am not attempting to suggest Origins is any match when compared to the quality of the previous titles though, simply a decent effort for a development studio new to the series.

The main character's face looks weird in some way :???: ! It doesn't give me the vibes of Silent Hill at all, since the characters in SH2 ,3 and 4 looked so , well, believable. I mean they looked human, this new guy seems to be in uncanny valley or something.

Anyways, I can't help feel drawn the moment I hear the music of Akira (the Qore video). I hope the game has that grip on ur psyche coz his music has to be complemented by that uncomfortable gameplay to work the magic of Silent Hill.

The first review is up for this game which releases tommorow apparently.
It's not so good, 65% from official Xbox magazine.

Back