So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

Yes, it's coming :D

I don't suspose it will be this soon. Now, the RV670 is on the mobile market with the toshiba will put it on the 15.4" laptop, which was reported at AVING.Net here...
Toshiba to launch new laptop featuring ATI Radeon HD 3800 graphic card

There is no detail spec given at the moment. Hope that AMD/ATi will announce its HD 3800 mobility part very soon... This is very quick response to the launch of G92 based mobile 8800GTX :devilish:

Interesting anyone happen to ave numbers handy for how much power performance oriented GPUs generally consume?

I'm wondering what ATI would have to clock Rv670 at in order to meet the demands of a mobile/desktop replacement "notebook." Or have the developed a mobile part in parallel with the Rv670?

I'm doubting the second part. As Rv670 has a lot of features that were traditionally only found in mobile parts. If AMD was able to design Rv670 in such a way that it can just be droped into a mobile computing solution that could be a huge win for them, just in terms of R&D not to mention chip fabrication. Assuming, of course, they can ramp up supply to meed demand.

Regards,
SB

Interesting anyone happen to ave numbers handy for how much power performance oriented GPUs generally consume?

I'm wondering what ATI would have to clock Rv670 at in order to meet the demands of a mobile/desktop replacement "notebook." Or have the developed a mobile part in parallel with the Rv670?

I'm doubting the second part. As Rv670 has a lot of features that were traditionally only found in mobile parts. If AMD was able to design Rv670 in such a way that it can just be droped into a mobile computing solution that could be a huge win for them, just in terms of R&D not to mention chip fabrication. Assuming, of course, they can ramp up supply to meed demand.

Regards,
SB

In my opinion, the core logic of RV670 would be ready for the mobile part. However, there was someone here explained that the mobile part will be announced only if the laptop OEM part was announced.

In term of functional and phsical features, the RV670 would already be a mobile part but it may need a few twice (lower speed of core and memory) in order to put the TDP envelope within the mobile spec.

Yes, we can also see that the G92 core for mobile 8800GTX also needs to reduce the core frequency down below 500Hz to stay within the TDP.

The package type of these GPU would be MXM-III that would allow someone with the same MXM slot type to be able to upgrade their laptop in the future too (hopefully, if their PSU is OK for the taks). More information on upgrading the MXM can be found on http://www.mxm-upgrade.com.

I am now thinking about to upgrade my laptop again to obtain a new laptop with the MXM-slot ready for the HD 38xx mxm-part or not :devilish:

However, the last upgrade of my laptop to obtain the core 2 cpu was only last year :oops: It seems a lot of money to throw away if I need to tread my laptop on the ebay in order to get a new one :cry:.

Edit: Just found the rumour news posted at Xbit here ...
ATI Readies New High-Performance Mobile Graphics Processor – Rumours.
and a part of rumour spec written there...
XbitLabs.com said:
According several reports around the Internet, ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, readies ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 GPU to finally return to the market of notebooks for gamers, who demand high-performance graphics. Some web-sites even claimed that the novelty will be available in Toshiba Dynabook Satellite TXW/69W for Japanese market, however, the manufacturer itself offers ATI Radeon HD3800-series graphics adapters with its novelty, according to its web-site. Since mid-range mobile GPU and high-end mobile chip are most likely to use different form-factor, it is hardly possible for Toshiba to allow end-users to select the graphics component.

Actual specifications of ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 remain unknown, however, they are more than likely to resemble those of the desktop model HD 3800. The ATI Radeon HD 3800-series graphics processors sport 320 unified shader processors (SPs), 16 texture units (TUs), 16 render back ends (RBEs), Avivo HD post-processing engine along with universal video decoder (UVD) for high-definition video and is equipped with 256-bit memory controller. The novelty is made using 55nm process technology, which means reduced power consumption for both desktop and mobile computers, and features DirectX 10.1 capabilities, something that rivals lack, but also a feature that gamers will hardly need for a considerable amount of time from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given RV670's dynamic power utilisation and small die size, the mobile variant should potentially equal or exceed G71's popularity in the mobile gaming market and help AMD claw back market share in a traditionally strong area until a few years ago.

If AMD can provide full 320 SP variants (at reduced clockspeeds) as the top mobile offering they should offer very competitive -- if not leading performance -- against mobile G92s with only 64 or 96 stream processors enabled.

In my opinion, the core logic of RV670 would be ready for the mobile part. However, there was someone here explained that the mobile part will be announced only if the laptop OEM part was announced.

In term of functional and phsical features, the RV670 would already be a mobile part but it may need a few twice (lower speed of core and memory) in order to put the TDP envelope within the mobile spec.

Yes, we can also see that the G92 core for mobile 8800GTX also needs to reduce the core frequency down below 500Hz to stay within the TDP.

The package type of these GPU would be MXM-III that would allow someone with the same MXM slot type to be able to upgrade their laptop in the future too (hopefully, if their PSU is OK for the taks). More information on upgrading the MXM can be found on http://www.mxm-upgrade.com.

I am now thinking about to upgrade my laptop again to obtain a new laptop with the MXM-slot ready for the HD 38xx mxm-part or not :devilish:

However, the last upgrade of my laptop to obtain the core 2 cpu was only last year :oops: It seems a lot of money to throw away if I need to tread my laptop on the ebay in order to get a new one :cry:.

Edit: Just found the rumour news posted at Xbit here ...
ATI Readies New High-Performance Mobile Graphics Processor – Rumours.
and a part of rumour spec written there...

The problem will not be if it fits in your notebook but if you even can find an MXM module with the Mobility HD 3800 chip.

The problem will not be if it fits in your notebook but if you even can find an MXM module with the Mobility HD 3800 chip.

From satein's post the popular mxm-upgrade site lists the MR X1900 in an MXM-III package. I think you can count on a similar offering for the MR HD 3870.

I would be very interested in seeing a HD3850 512MB mobile variant, perhaps with a TDP adequate enough to fight the 8700M GT on a relatively cheaper -and with a potentially higher volume- segment of the gaming notebook market. ;)

Back