So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

<offtopic>
Minor request here to a moderator, but can we get this thread split out somewhat -- at least the recent and very interesting algorithm discussions? It seems like they might be getting lost in the sea of RV670 discussions.
</offtopic>

I thought so, too, so, done. Hopefully I got the whole bifurcatin' mess and everyone involved is subscribed to the new thread.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have a better thread title, or if you just think I done a bad thing.

The flash utility is not yet available, so that BIOS does no one (outside of ATi) any good ATM.

Older ATIFlash-es don't work with the 3870?They did with the 2900 without issue, and the one I used for the first flash wasn't exactly a recent release.

I was wondering.. what kinda unit/units is the tesselator part of the chip? Is it left unused when the game doesn't use it (no game does, I believe?), could it possibly be used for some other functions aswell, or is it stricly capable of nothing but tesselation?

Wasn't available at the time of my post. Glad to see they got it up so quickly though. WTG W1z!

Now for some o/c results... If this thing hits 900MHz+ on the GPU reliably, I may just go CF 3870 afterall...

The problem is - I was trying to find Radeon 3870, but it's not available.
Edit: I have to wait little bet longer so I could get Diamond Radeon 3870.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering.. what kinda unit/units is the tesselator part of the chip? Is it left unused when the game doesn't use it (no game does, I believe?), could it possibly be used for some other functions aswell, or is it stricly capable of nothing but tesselation?
It's not a general purpose processor so it won't be used for anything else.

Wow I'd actually forgotten about the tesselation unit on R600. AMD really needs to work on pushing its products' features.

Just another one of those features that probably should have been in DX10 but didn't make it for some reason. Kind of like most of the DX10.1 features.

Hmm, wasn't direct exposure of the tesselator supposed to have been part of 10.1 according to early rumors/ATI around R600 launch?
I don't recall seeing mention of it in any of the RV670 launch stuff though :unsure:

Not impressed with local availability or pricing so far :???:
In NZ$, we have lots of prices around $450 for an 8800GT
Only 6 prices for 3870 at all & of them only one price lower than a GT; $415, I'd been hoping they'd come in under $400.

None of the 3870 suppliers have stock, expected on 30th according to one of the websites.
We have wholesale importers who distribute to the various small scale retailers so normally have to wait at least a month for a shipment to arrive for any new hardware :mad:

Not impressed with local availability or pricing so far :???:
In NZ$, we have lots of prices around $450 for an 8800GT
Only 6 prices for 3870 at all & of them only one price lower than a GT; $415, I'd been hoping they'd come in under $400.

None of the 3870 suppliers have stock, expected on 30th according to one of the websites.
We have wholesale importers who distribute to the various small scale retailers so normally have to wait at least a month for a shipment to arrive for any new hardware :mad:

Ouch, everytime I think of possibly retiring to Australia or NZ, I read horror stories like this. Or about broadbad availabilty and it makes me question that desire. :)

The thing I'm wondering about is...

1. Does Nvidia really have problems shipping cards in volume as has been reported?

2. Is ATI really shipping as many cards as has been reported or claimed?

3. If the above are true, the fact that BOTH are selling out a soon as cards hit merchants...

It would appear that Nvidia has left the door wide open for ATI to grab chunks of marketshare IF (big IF) ATI can provide enough cards to meet demand before Nvidia can provide enough cards to meet demand.

I think this is the first time I've seen Nvidia have trouble meeting demand for what is ostensibly a midrange/performance-midrange part and not a high end part.

While they've had some problems in the past wth supply it was usually with the ridiculously configured "OMG-Gotta beat ATI" type cards (6800 Ultra, 7800 GTX-512)...

Regards,
SB

Toshiba to launch new laptop featuring ATI Radeon HD 3800 graphic card

Yes, it's coming :D

I don't suspose it will be this soon. Now, the RV670 is on the mobile market with the toshiba will put it on the 15.4" laptop, which was reported at AVING.Net here...
Toshiba to launch new laptop featuring ATI Radeon HD 3800 graphic card

There is no detail spec given at the moment. Hope that AMD/ATi will announce its HD 3800 mobility part very soon... This is very quick response to the launch of G92 based mobile 8800GTX :devilish:

Back