So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

I highly doubt that nVidia got the short end of the straw with TMSC and if they did it would all be nVidia's fault. Production is planned months in advance and nVidia like ATI have been at this all their existence.

If nVIDIA shipped 40,000 that was all they had ready as you said it was a GPU that was expected in January.

Also it seems to me we need to add a few more reasons why AMD decides to release when it does. We are no longer comparing a video company to another video company. AMD has a lot more than video and it would seem to me they will schedule stuff to maybe have the greatest impact on their overall product sometimes as in releasing with cpus etc.

AMD's just been stockpiling while trying to get the damn drivers sorted :?:

Don't forget this is a GPU we were expecting to arrive in January.

NVidia seems to have drawn the short straw at TSMC - hence the UMC thing. Did any of the dumbfuck analysts query this point?

Jawed

Considering how bullish they were on the 8800 GT's prospects for the January quarter, I highly doubt the supply problems are anything other then short term in nature.

As far as the UMC thing, I really highly doubt they just woke up one morning and realized they were getting the shaft at TSMC so they better go to UMC. About a year ago NVIDIA said they would be dual sourcing skus when appropriate.

As far as the UMC thing, I really highly doubt they just woke up one morning and realized they were getting the shaft at TSMC so they better go to UMC. About a year ago NVIDIA said they would be dual sourcing skus when appropriate.
TSMC's 65nm has been on-going since spring/summer 2006. It seems to take about a year after process introduction before GPUs appear on it.

Jawed

How is this a paper launch?

I'd call it a 'tweener. 40,000 units might not be too bad for a high-end part ($399+). But don't forget Nvidia was quoting expected price points of $199-$249. That makes it a mainstream part, and 40,000 units is a drop in the bucket for any reasonable expectation of demand for a mainstream part. No wonder the thing was selling above Nvidia's MSRP --I never saw it for less than $269. So a semi-erect launch at best. :LOL:

I'd call it a 'tweener. 40,000 units might not be too bad for a high-end part ($399+). But don't forget Nvidia was quoting expected price points of $199-$249. That makes it a mainstream part, and 40,000 units is a drop in the bucket for any reasonable expectation of demand for a mainstream part. No wonder the thing was selling above Nvidia's MSRP --I never saw it for less than $269. So a semi-erect launch at best. :LOL:

My thoughts exactly.

Makes me wonder why Nvidia moved the launch up two weeks at all. Perhaps to release their specs and benchmarks to the public before this 250,000 monster hits the channels.

Yeah, pretty much just a spoiler for the RV670 launch, though it seems like AMD won't care if they've swept the board with OEMs.

Well, if they go to the OEM's first you'll end up being unable to buy them at retail for at least a few days/weeks, because they'll be out of stock just like the 8800 GT, isn't it ?

That 40K figure looks more and more like bogus to me, as i could easily purchase a € 240 8800 GT and have it here the next day if i wanted to.

Yeah, pretty much just a spoiler for the RV670 launch, though it seems like AMD won't care if they've swept the board with OEMs.

Well, that was my first thought on this quite of the AMD/ATi about the RV670 part according to the G92 launched ;)

INKster said:
Well, if they go to the OEM's you'll end up without being able to buy them at retail, because they'll be out of stock just like the 8800 GT, isn't it ?

In that case, it seems like AMD/ATi can live up to demand of the market... probably on both OEM and retail. 250,000 at the launch is very big number in my opinion at this point.

Edit: sorry, delete one mis-quoted :oops:

Well, if they go to the OEM's first you'll end up being unable to buy them at retail for at least a few days/weeks, because they'll be out of stock just like the 8800 GT, isn't it ?

That 40K figure looks more and more like bogus to me, as i could easily purchase a € 240 8800 GT and have it here the next day if i wanted to.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0048+106791921+1067932704&name=GeForce+8800GT

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1008

Does not look like bogus to me.

That's probably premature, and based on pricing they may really be after different market segments anyway. Unless/until NV's prediction of $199 starts to happen in reality.

That they launched with 40k doesn't mean more aren't on the way.

Which isn't to say that RV670 isn't an attractive part for OEM's. I'd think it would be based on price, size, heat/power (tho that last is a bit of a guess still).

If those 250k figures are true then RV670 just landed AMD a huge win.

Too bad Nvidia cant keep up with the demand (intentional or unintentional). It seems to me that even though margins are excellent on the 8800GT, its hurting their enthusiast skus. Nvidia is in a VERY sticky position if they cant pump out enough 8800GTs.

Where exactly do you live? Tell me where there is 8800GT's in stock and I can tell that forward to people who have had their cards on order since the day they appeared for preorder

It's more likely, it seems to me, that they went to market with their "risk production" and re-enforcements are on the way. . .particularly if it turns out they are going to reuse that same part for higher-level skus as well, which seems to be the likely course of events. TechReport reported that for the new GTS, for instance, tho I don't know that got confirmed.

Did you saw me mention "$" or "£" ?
Also, some of those models at Newegg mention ETA's for between 2 and 5 days...

Yes, but do you know how many Newegg is getting? And I'm aware of the £, I thought the $ and the pound would suffice for now. I think it's pretty obvious they are very supply constrained right now.

-Remember the reports a while back of them possibly being supply constrained in the future?

-The analyst down grading their stock because of RV670's presence and mass OEM appeal?

-UMC?

AMD won't care if it means they sold loads more to the OEMs. That's where the big money is.

Which would happen if Nvidia was only selling retail because AMD gobbled up all the big OEM deal this season.

AMD won't care if it means they sold loads more to the OEMs. That's where the big money is.

Big volume, lower margin. NV does love their margins, and even old-ATI was always the OEM's sweetheart. . . which was clearly one of the things AMD liked about them, so it's surely not less so these days.

Big volume, lower margin. NV does love their margins, and even old-ATI was always the OEM's sweetheart. . . which was clearly one of the things AMD liked about them, so it's surely not less so these days.

Even at lower margins, you can't make serious money without making the products OEMs want, when they want them. I thought it was fairly well established since the 3DFX days - you can't survive on retail only.

Even at lower margins, you can't make serious money without making the products OEMs want, when they want them. I thought it was fairly well established since the 3DFX days - you can't survive on retail only.

Even AMD realises that OEM's like them cheap and "sounding" powerful.
For that, a HD3850 or a 8800 GT 256MB is the obvious choice, and doesn't resonate the "bet on retail instead" alternative strategy that you described.

Most price-conscious "enthusiasts" nowadays know very well to stay away from 256MB cards, no ?

Back